Falklands

JustinCornell

Back in the 80's the Canberra and QE2 got drafted into service as hospital/Troop carriers..

If things escalate down south - do you think the QM2/QV/QE would be pressed into service by the UK Government ?

I think probably not as the cost of underwriting the loss of any of these ships (not to mention the damage done to morale if they were lost) would mean it would be very risky..

Just interested in whether you think we could have a repeat if things go badly in the Falklands...

Back in the 80's the Canberra and QE2 got drafted into service as hospital/Troop carriers..

If things escalate down south - do you think the QM2/QV/QE would be pressed into service by the UK Government ?

I think probably not as the cost of underwriting the loss of any of these ships (not to mention the damage done to morale if they were lost) would mean it would be very risky..

Just interested in whether you think we could have a repeat if things go badly in the Falklands...

The runway at Stanley can now handle wide bodied jets so most of the troop lift could be done by air now and hopefully it would be done well in advance of any action by Argentina. Argentina will also be painfully aware that, although the British Government has managed to achieve what the Argentinian navy and air force couldn't, and has decimated the Royal Navy, we still possess several nuclear powered attack submarines similar to HMS Conquerer that sunk the General Belgrano. No doubt at least one of them is on station already.

One thing's for certain, whatever happens down there it won't be the same as last time around - after all, Gordon Brown wouldn't want to be accused of any more bullying would he? :)

J

Damage to morale? QM2?

Can you seriously imagine what the loss of RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 would have meant to the nation in the eighties? The last Clydebuilt liner? The flagship of the British Merchant Marine? It would have been a complete disaster. Sending QE2 was a tremendous risk - both for the nation and for Thatcher personally.

Anyway, are we able to fight a third war at the moment? I'm not sure that we could.

Being American owned now the Brits would have be doing some "sweet talking" to the Cunard corporate bigwigs to have any chance of that.

Oh no they flaming wouldn't. She is still registered in Southampton and still flies the British flag. Whichever way you slice it, she is therefore still part of the British Merchant Navy and could still be taken up from trade no matter who (technically) owns her.

J

There is absolutety no possibility of another "conflict". Starved of kit, as our armed forces are, it is nothing compared to Argentina, whose forces still use the same kit as 30 years ago.

This is merely a case of some silly b***h try to sabre rattle to gain political ground.

Remember that when they invaded, we only had a dozen or so Royal Marines stationed there.

As an Ex Brit living in FL, these postings were the first I have heard of any problem in the Falklands.

I hope that there are adequate forces there. I remember during the last time many Americans asked "Why do the Brits care"" My answer was "Why did America care about Pearl Harbor?" Same when they ask me why we fought on in l940, why the cities that were bombed still fought on on the next day. Although I now have US Citizenship, I do wonder at the will to defend the homeland here.

It is also amazing to me that during Desert Storm , it was the British SAS that the American General asked to go in and take out the Scud missiles not the US Rangers or Special Forces. Both could have done the task, but the Washington LAWYERS would not let them, remember now US Forces have to get permission from these LAWYERS to fire on the enemy with LIVE Ammo. IMPO the said LAWYERS need to "BUTT OUT" unless they are the ones in danger. We should put a few of them in the front line , they would soon change their attitude.

Lynn

The SAS certainly did that. Any one who has read of their time there will appreciate that they are a very special breed (and I speak as someone who was around the military for 2 yrs serving, 30 yrs as a wife and who son and daughter also servedone in the army and one in the WRAF)

When the SAS had done their task, they had to make their way to Kuwait, they had not had a bth in over 6 weeks (barely even washed) had not shaved and of course even their hair was long , they were wearing turbans and robes as part of their cover, so nearing the border they flew the Union Jack on their vehicles, theypulled into a USAF base, every one there very clen and tidy, hot showers , hot meals , PX's movies etc.

Can you just imagine the stares the SAS got as they drove in! Even more stares when a few days later "Storming Norman" made a trip to the base to congratulate them!

Lynn (WAAF # 2128877) Ex MT Driver

As an Ex Brit living in FL, these postings were the first I have heard of any problem in the Falklands.

I hope that there are adequate forces there. I remember during the last time many Americans asked "Why do the Brits care"" My answer was "Why did America care about Pearl Harbor?" Same when they ask me why we fought on in l940, why the cities that were bombed still fought on on the next day. Although I now have US Citizenship, I do wonder at the will to defend the homeland here.

It is also amazing to me that during Desert Storm , it was the British SAS that the American General asked to go in and take out the Scud missiles not the US Rangers or Special Forces. Both could have done the task, but the Washington LAWYERS would not let them, remember now US Forces have to get permission from these LAWYERS to fire on the enemy with LIVE Ammo. IMPO the said LAWYERS need to "BUTT OUT" unless they are the ones in danger. We should put a few of them in the front line , they would soon change their attitude.

Lynn

Come on Lynn this is a bit much especially to be posting on the Cunard board. The first Iraqi war was an effort among a multiplicity of allies, but if you are saying that the U.S. made others do most of the fighting and then took the credit...just no way. One of your compatriots, Samuel Johnson, a famed British essayist, commented on the detrimental aspect of fevert patriotism.

Not surprising at all, if you want the job done properly.

Well well, you learn something new every day on here. I would never have guessed that the Scottish Ambulance Service played such a major role in proceedings. Mind you, I still think that Harold Wilson should have put Mad Mitch and his Royal Scotch Southern Highlanders on board the QEII and sent them straight to Baghdad. That would have given Johnny Taliban in Buenos Iris something to think about I can tell you. They wouldn't have been so keen on invading the Shetlands after that I reckon.

A belicose J

Gari, Gari! When do they bring our pills round in the morning?

Ah, the Cams. Respect!

J

Thanks.

And just for the record, my wee boy (Capt in AGC, ETS) has just been appointed 2 IC of the New Army Recovery Centre in Edinburgh.

The ARC is run by the army in conjunction with Erskine and Help for Heroes. The purpose of the unit is to assist injured soldiers to return to their units (or a more suitable one) or to help them back to civvy life if TA. All very worthwhile.

Well well, you learn something new every day on here. I would never have guessed that the Scottish Ambulance Service played such a major role in proceedings. Mind you, I still think that Harold Wilson should have put Mad Mitch and his Royal Scotch Southern Highlanders on board the QEII and sent them straight to Baghdad. That would have given Johnny Taliban in Buenos Iris something to think about I can tell you. They wouldn't have been so keen on invading the Shetlands after that I reckon.

A belicose J

Gari, Gari! When do they bring our pills round in the morning?

Are you Brits rewriting history as we go along here? I thought the Iron Maiden was PM during the Falkland War. You know the one who was mad for our aged movie star President, somnolent though he was much of the time. Or is it the reverse, he was crazy for her in his wildest dreams.

I was assaulted by a raving Brit when I was disembarking for the Falklands oh about 5 years ago. All of us going ashore from the Statedam were lined up to see if we passed muster, obviously one of us didn't. While ripping a pin from my heavy overcoat (darn it is cold there) and yelling that certain colors anger the natives I was admonished to remember the war that occurred at this British outpost. Startled I didn't think to reply that I'm just another dumb American. Blundering around the world is our valiant endeavor to make as many friends as we can. And what ever morass we get ourselves into there are our cousins, the Brits, steadfast with us.

I do think I see my "meds" acoming. We get music here when we take ours.

Archived