Excellence Vs Eli

Luvflipflops

Has anyone done the catamaran tour with Excellence call Circum Navigation. I heard it was a bit more up bet then Eli's tour. I was quoted it might be better for "the young at heart". They state they have the fastest catamaran around. Any advise?

It was a fun day. There was about 20 minutes or so on the way to the island where you are in the open Atlantic and it was quite rough. The sail back is slow with a party atmosphere.

Not having done Excellence, I can tell you there is quite a difference between a cat and Eli's 45 Ft power boat. A cat is still a cat and it may be the fastest but when we went on the Extreme we pretty much passed it like it was standing still. If you have the need for speed and a good tour I recommend the Extreme, if you're looking for more of a "booze cruise" go with Excellence. More info on the Extreme can be found here http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html#Xtreme

Just my opinion.

Ernie

When we went on the excellence it was a tour circumnavigation of the island. The only time that I remember going fast was out on the open water on the way to Green Island, at least I think that's what it was called. There was someone telling tales of Antigua's past and they pointed out famous people's houses, different beaches etc. I do not recall it being a booze cruise. It was fun and festive but I didn't notice any obnoxious behavior. I must say that for the faint of stomach those 20 minutes in open water were pretty awful. I have done many boat rides including the infamous "Vomit Comet" to St. Bart's from St. Maarten and although the rough part of the ride in Antigua was shorter, I found it more intense.

Not having done Excellence, I can tell you there is quite a difference between a cat and Eli's 45 Ft power boat. A cat is still a cat and it may be the fastest but when we went on the Extreme we pretty much passed it like it was standing still. If you have the need for speed and a good tour I recommend the Extreme, if you're looking for more of a "booze cruise" go with Excellence. More info on the Extreme can be found here http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html#Xtreme

Just my opinion.

Ernie

Hey Ernie

I ran across some posts of yours from last year and one is of interest. We're sailing from the Pan Am pier on a Celebrity vessel next week and I believe you said that there is a duty free liquor shop at that pier. There are so many conflicting stories that there is one and then there isn't one. please let me know if in fact there is a duty free there and also did you see any wine availble as well as liquor.

Thanks much

Al

Hey Ernie

I ran across some posts of yours from last year and one is of interest. We're sailing from the Pan Am pier on a Celebrity vessel next week and I believe you said that there is a duty free liquor shop at that pier. There are so many conflicting stories that there is one and then there isn't one. please let me know if in fact there is a duty free there and also did you see any wine availble as well as liquor.

Thanks much

Al

We just sailed on Serenade and the duty free was there and open. Now, Summit is at the next building and I would assume that the duty free is still there also. Never really paid attention to availability of wine. My BIL & SIL got wine at a store on the Condado for a good price but I don't know where it was. I think Celebrity still allows you to bring wine on board. Hope this helps a little. You can always ask on the San Juan board, someone there may have a better answer for you.

Ernie

We just sailed on Serenade and the duty free was there and open. Now, Summit is at the next building and I would assume that the duty free is still there also. Never really paid attention to availability of wine. My BIL & SIL got wine at a store on the Condado for a good price but I don't know where it was. I think Celebrity still allows you to bring wine on board. Hope this helps a little. You can always ask on the San Juan board, someone there may have a better answer for you.

Ernie

Thanks for the info. The Seranade was docked at the PAN Am Pier I presume.

Al

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone done the catamaran tour with Excellence call Circum Navigation. I heard it was a bit more up bet then Eli's tour. I was quoted it might be better for "the young at heart". They state they have the fastest catamaran around. Any advise?

I just got back from my cruise sailing on AOS this past Sunday and did the "Excellence" tour. We really enjoyed our day on Antigua. The last time we were on the island we did a historical tour of Nelson's dock yard. This was by far our favorite excursion of our sailing. Another poster said this was a party boat--I would disagree. There is a brief 15 minutes when the motorized catamaran is entering the Atlantic where the ride can become a little bumpy. The crew will warn you before entering this area. I was warned about this by cruise critic members after doing a search via this site. I did take dramamine just incase. I don't recall anyone having any issues with sea sickness on this trip. We sailed around the entire island. The colors of the water at truely a site to see. We got to see some famous peoples houses like Oprah & Eric Clamptons. Other saw other intresting sites like Jumby bay, Devils bridge, Nelson's dock yard. We had a beach/snorkeling stop and also enjoyed a nice lunch of fish or chicken. I am a picky eater and I enjoyed the fish which was snapper. The also had complimentary drinks. We took this tour through the cruise line. I hope this helps.

Do they serve beer? rum punch on Eli tour? Just wondering.

Eli's tour serves rum punch (some of the best ever), water, coke, and local juices.

Excellence can take over 100 people, I do not know how many they actually take, Eli takes only 25 or so.

• 6 months later...

Just returned from a cruise to Antigua and I have to say that it was absolutely breathtaking! :p We did the Antigua by Sea tour thru Carnival on the Excellence and were extremely glad that we did.

We had a wonderful day circumnavigating the island while listening as the crew pointed out famous houses and landmarks. The scenery was amazing. No need to move from your seat because the crew were more than happy to serve you cold drinks, such as rum punch, fruit juice, soda, water, beer, etc.

We anchored at Green Island, where I could have stayed forever. The water was so clear and while snorkeling we saw many beautiful colored fish and sea creatures. Afterwards, we had lunch aboard the Excellence.

Our lunch consisted of grilled chicken breast or fish, assorted mixed veggies, pasta,& salad. We then had a slice of a wonderful tropical cake, which was YUMMY! :D Followed by more drinks of your choice.

I have to say that at first I was a little nervous about this trip but it was one of my all time favorites! I can't quit smiling thinking of what an AMAZING excursion this was and am already looking at returning sometime soon, in part, just to take this excursion again!

One warning though~ :eek:~ DON'T FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN! :eek:

Archived