Saint John and High Tide/Low Tide

Could someone please help me figure out if we'll be able to experience both high tide and low tide in Saint John. We will be there October 4, 2010, 7:00am - 3:00pm. From the tide table I looked at, looks like we'll only get to see high tide. But I'm not understanding what this 2 hrs before or after low tide, etc. is.... can someone please help! :eek: Thanks!

Could someone please help me figure out if we'll be able to experience both high tide and low tide in Saint John. We will be there October 4, 2010, 7:00am - 3:00pm. From the tide table I looked at, looks like we'll only get to see high tide. But I'm not understanding what this 2 hrs before or after low tide, etc. is.... can someone please help! :eek: Thanks!

The only thing I can think of, with the reference you have given, is that two hours before low tide until two hours after low tide would be the safe time frame for being out on the ocean floor to visit the sea caves in St. Martins.

Also in Saint John, we refer to "slack tide" which is partway between high and low tide and vice versa. This is important because at slack tide the water levels in the harbour and the river are level with each other and, for a 15 to 20 minute window in each slack tide, it is possible for boats to pass through the Reversing Falls.

There is a six hour time between low and high tide so we have two complete high-low-high cycles every twenty-four hours. That translates to four slack tides in every twenty-four hour period.

We have tides in the 35 to 40 foot range here, which we take for granted, but I realize it is quite unique and when I travel it seems that they hardly have tides at all in other places. I know they do, but it is not noticeable to me.

The only thing I can think of, with the reference you have given, is that two hours before low tide until two hours after low tide would be the safe time frame for being out on the ocean floor to visit the sea caves in St. Martins.

Also in Saint John, we refer to "slack tide" which is partway between high and low tide and vice versa. This is important because at slack tide the water levels in the harbour and the river are level with each other and, for a 15 to 20 minute window in each slack tide, it is possible for boats to pass through the Reversing Falls.

There is a six hour time between low and high tide so we have two complete high-low-high cycles every twenty-four hours. That translates to four slack tides in every twenty-four hour period.

We have tides in the 35 to 40 foot range here, which we take for granted, but I realize it is quite unique and when I travel it seems that they hardly have tides at all in other places. I know they do, but it is not noticeable to me.

Thanks so much for the informaton & that's exactly what I was wondering.... I think our ship will be in Saint John for only high tide. If we miss low tide - would there be any other reason to make a trip to St. Martin?:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the informaton & that's exactly what I was wondering.... I think our ship will be in Saint John for only high tide. If we miss low tide - would there be any other reason to make a trip to St. Martin?:rolleyes:

If you like photography, St Martins is very scenic. It is a charming little fishing village with a tiny harbour where the boats ground out at low tide. There are two old covered bridges by the harbour and it is possible to get them both in one photo. You can also walk through them as they are part of the main road through the village.

Just outside the village is a lighthouse where you can park and walk around a bit.

About 10 minutes further on from St Martins is the start of the Fundy Trail, where you can park in one of the lots and follow the trail along the shoreline. There are spots with stairs down to the beach area. If you drive along the trail to Salmon River, (not far) there is an Interperative Centre and an Indiana Jones type footbridge accross the river.

Another alternative would be to drive in the opposite direction and go down the coast to St. Andrews. It is a lovely seaside resort similar to Bar Harbour but not as commercialized. There are a lot of good quality shops where local artists and craftspeople sell their wares.

Walk out onto the town wharf and buy and ice cream cone. Visit the Huntsman Marine Acquarium. Enjoy Kingsbrae Gardens. Stop by the Algonquin Hotel which is one of Canada's old railway hotels and the most notable landmark in St. Andrews.

Visit the old blockhouse which was used for defense in years gone by. You can see the state of Maine by looking across the water by the blockhouse. Actually it is a replica as the original was burned by vandals a number of years ago.

Just stroll through the streets and enjoy the small town ambience. There are houses there that the United Empire Loyalists floated up from Maine when they fled after the American Revolution.

The town has very strict heritage bylaws and you will not see a neon sign in sight. Any new construction in the heritage area has to conform to the original design of the area.

Thanks so much for all the information! We can't wait to visit!!! Now we just make the decisions on what to do!!! Too much and so little time!!!

You're welcome. I just hope you have a nice sunny day as no place is fun to visit in the rain and drizzle.

I should have added this link for you

www.cruisesaintjohn.com

Archived