Calica & Cozumel~What shore excursions do you recommend?

hottie4ucmu

Hi ya'll....So this is going to be my first cruise with 3 of my girlfriends and I was wondering what you would recommend as far as shore excursions. We are going to be on cozumel for 11 hours and calica for 9 I believe. I would like to do some shopping on cozumel & go to carlos and charlies but i would like to do something fun but not too long (I don't know if this is possible or not). I like the beach and walking/exploring/nature stuff so I don't know if this helps. My friend told me of this waterfall place that started with a D that she went to from carnival on cozumel but when I looked for it on the website it was not there. Waht about Calica? Are there any fun bars/shopping? I've heard a lot about X-caret although I really don't know what it is or the cost. Could anyone help me out? Thanks ;)

XCARET is WONDERFUL. You may want to look at booking everything yourself through their website at www.xcaretcancun.com. I would do this in Calica - only because you won't have to worry about your time getting wasted going back and forth on the ferry. You can book the same thing through Carnival and they provide bus service back and forth as many times as you want. If you think you are just going to stay and not go back and forth you would be better off booking on your own (you get 10% by booking through the website in advance) abd just taking the bus or a taxi to the park.

Also - if you want to do dolphins you need to book it in advance on the website because if you wait to get to the park they will mist likely be booked up.

Hi there! We (me & DH w/3 kids) stopped at these same 2 ports in March last year while on the Celebration. We chose to go to places on our own in both ports, and did not do the ship-sponsored tours (too much $$$!).

In Coz we took a taxi to Chankanaab park and loved it there. Great place for snorkeling, & very picturesque there at the park! We finished w/shopping once we were back at the pier, ate dinner on the ship in the "almost" deserted dining room because many ate and or "drank" their dinner elsewhere ;) . Then we got back off the ship and did more site-seeing and shopping.

In Calica, we rented a car and drove ourselves to the Mayan ruins at Tulum. Easy to get there, gorgeous to see and a great, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Highly recommend this!

Then last August we were in Coz again but on the Elation this time. We went to Paradise beach this time around and enjoyed that a lot also. Again, we did this on our own via taxi and skipped paying $$ for ship-sponsored excursions. Then again we did shopping on our own back at the pier. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

When stopping in Calica, Playa Del Carmen is just a few minutes away with great shopping. Senor Frogs is right on the beach there, GREAT spot, and there is a Carlos & Charlies too. This past November (2004), we toured Tulum (had a great tour guide; sites were beautiful!) and then went to Playa Del Carmen for several hours to shop & eat.

In Cozumel, a group of girlfriends, my brother and I booked the Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Break through the ship. It was so much fun! They had free beer & margaritas. We line danced all over that boat and had a really fun time at the beach. Some of us played volleyball while others sun bathed and played with the water toys (floating mats, kayaks, etc.)

On another trip to Cozumel, we too visited Paradise Beach which was a great day. Some of us simply laid on the beach drinking frosty beverages while others parasailed and rode a banana boat.

I've been to both Carlos & Charlies in Cozumel too, and they're both too much fun! We usually do one in a port and the other at the next. If you do that, you might choose Senor Frog's in Calica/Playa del Carmel because of the view.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

When you did the tour in Playa to Tulum, did you book thru Carnival or did you do this on your own?

We will be there in September and my father really wants to go to Tulum but doesn't really want to spend the money that Carnival wants for this excursion.

Thanks

Pam

We did the Tulum tour on our own and it was much cheaper than what Carnival was charging. We had a group of 11 so it was really economical, but you can do the very same with fewer numbers. We grabbed a taxi (15-passenger van taxi) right off the ship and they agreed to take us to Tulum, wait on us there while we did the tour (couple hours for the tour), drove us to Playa del Carmen and waited on us there while we ate and shopped (3 hours or so in Playa) and drove us back to the ship....all for about $20 each. The driver suggested we hire a personal tour guide he introduced us to in Tulum and pay to ride the trolley all for about $10 each, which we did (they've got a network going apparently, but hey, it was still a bargain for us and we enjoyed it), and then we tipped the guide a few bucks each at the end too. There were LOTS of groups with guides touring though. So I think you could fall in with a tour group pretty easily as long as the guide didn't get picky on you and get upset. I'm sure a decent tip would make them more agreeable. I highly suggest doing this on your own with taxis. Easy as pie! Be sure and take lots of film, the view in Tulum is gorgeous. You can swim in the clear ocean there, too, if you want to cool off. Oh and take lots of sunscreen....there is very little shade while touring. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer. Enjoy!

Archived