Questions about Mykonos and Santorini

vizslapup

We will be in Santorini and Mykonos in July. Does anyone have a link to where we can find out what other ships will be in port at the same time? I did follow a link suggested on these boards, but it was not current, and I got no where when I tried to Google it myself.:confused:

Also, am I correct in understanding that we will be tendered about 1.5 miles from the centre of town in Mykonos, and then need to find our way into town(if we don't take a ship sponsered tour.) We are there from 1-11pm. We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam.

Also, am I correct in understanding that we will be tendered about 1.5 miles from the centre of town in Mykonos, and then need to find our way into town(if we don't take a ship sponsered tour.) We are there from 1-11pm. We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam.

No. My experience suggests the following:

a) if you're tendered, it'll be into the old harbour in the middle of Mykonos town. When I was last there I saw a big Princess ship (either Crown or Emerald Princess) tendering into the southern end of the old harbour;

b) if you ship is docked, it'll be docked at Tourlas, which is the new harbour for larger ships and is indeed about 1.5 miles from town. Most lines then provide shuttle buses (chargeable) between Tourlas and the edge of town.

On the Equinox last October we were supposed to tender in Mykonos. But early in the evening before, he announced if we "raced" to port, ahead of several other ships, we could dock. So he raced to Mykonos and we docked about 11:30PM the NIGHT before we were supposed to tender. In fact a number of crew members and passengers went into Mykonos at mid-night. They had a shuttle bus that cost $10 pp with unlimited rides to town. The other ships who tendered dropped their passengers right into the center of town. It was cheaper and more convenient than docking.

On the Equinox last October we were supposed to tender in Mykonos. But early in the evening before, he announced if we "raced" to port, ahead of several other ships, we could dock. So he raced to Mykonos and we docked about 11:30PM the NIGHT before we were supposed to tender. In fact a number of crew members and passengers went into Mykonos at mid-night. They had a shuttle bus that cost $10 pp with unlimited rides to town. The other ships who tendered dropped their passengers right into the center of town. It was cheaper and more convenient than docking.

We docked there while a Princess ship tendered. I think the cruise lines have an incentive to dock at that port because then they can charge for the shuttle. My theory is they want to make up the lost revenue from not many people doing ship tours on Mykonos.

Archived