Clothing optional on beaches?

heat76

We are taking a family cruise...traveling with kids as young as 6 and as old as 14. After doing research I seem to keep finding notes that say in St. Martin clothing is optional on the beaches. Has anybody had experience with this. I want to keep my little ones eyes as innocent as I can. And if you no of a kid friendly beach that would be great...

Get ready for a bunch of non-helpful responses telling you that your children should be exposed to world culture and bla bla bla.

But to your point:

There are a few beaches that are CO beaches, the most notable one which is popular with cruisers is Orient Beach. It is a wonderful beach and there is a CO resort at the far south end which is clearly marked and you won't go there accidentally. If you go the the central part of the beach there will be far less CO people but there will be a very small number of people sunning nude and a rare person walking the beach nude - more early in the day and less late.

You won't find many nude bathers at other St. Martin beaches, at least not the more common ones that cruisers travel. However you will find some toplessness at any beach in ST. Martin. Orient beach has the most, less at Dawn Beach and Maho beach (the one the jets fly over) and it is uncommon at the beach right in town near the cruise port. That beach is very nice and looks great but we've heard the water gets deep quickly so it might not be as ideal for the youngest to swim at.

If you're concerned you'd probably be happiest at Dawn Beach or Maho beach. If you don't want them to see any toplessness then stay at the beach right in town where it is the least likely.

Get ready for a bunch of non-helpful responses telling you that your children should be exposed to world culture and bla bla bla.

But to your point:

There are a few beaches that are CO beaches, the most notable one which is popular with cruisers is Orient Beach. It is a wonderful beach and there is a CO resort at the far south end which is clearly marked and you won't go there accidentally. If you go the the central part of the beach there will be far less CO people but there will be a very small number of people sunning nude and a rare person walking the beach nude - more early in the day and less late.

You won't find many nude bathers at other St. Martin beaches, at least not the more common ones that cruisers travel. However you will find some toplessness at any beach in ST. Martin. Orient beach has the most, less at Dawn Beach and Maho beach (the one the jets fly over) and it is uncommon at the beach right in town near the cruise port. That beach is very nice and looks great but we've heard the water gets deep quickly so it might not be as ideal for the youngest to swim at.

If you're concerned you'd probably be happiest at Dawn Beach or Maho beach. If you don't want them to see any toplessness then stay at the beach right in town where it is the least likely.

Thnaks for the quick reply. I think I will just take my chances and maybe go to the dawn or Maho beach. Is there food and restrooms and there as well?

Thnaks for the quick reply. I think I will just take my chances and maybe go to the dawn or Maho beach. Is there food and restrooms and there as well?

I've never been to maho, and it's been a long time since we went to Dawn, but I believe there are food places and both and at least some restroom facilities as part of the food places.

Actually, you won't get a bunch of those type of responses. Maho would be terrible for any type of water activities. It is a steep beach and the water becomes deep very quickly. If you are not comfortable with the chance of nudity on Orient, you should try one of the other beaches that is discussed on this board. There are many to choose from, but be aware that on any beach on St. Martin, you run the chance of an encounter with at least toplessness.

Unless things have changed at Maho, topless women get free drinks. I also find the slope from the beach to the water quite steep at Maho. My recommendation would be the shallow, calm, clear LeGallion Beach if you are going during the week but this beach is busy on weekends. You may see the odd topless lady though. There is a beach restaurant and washroom facilities at Le Gallion. One note of caution though it would be best to set up a time for a taxi to pick you up as there will not be taxi's there most likely when you want to return to the ship.

Is the "in town by the pier" beach walkable or still a cab? are there facilities there? What about the amazing tiki snorkel thingy beach - is that "child friendly"?

It is too long for most to walk, I'd guess over a mile. They have a water taxi or you can take land taxi. With the water taxi you can buy a one way trip or a full day pass for a little more.

I don't know if the beach has any separate public facilities or not but there are restaurants, bars and a few hotels along the beach.

I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to when you refer to the "amazing tiki snorkel thingy beach" maybe you can shed some light on this or let us know where you read about this.

It is too long for most to walk, I'd guess over a mile. They have a water taxi or you can take land taxi. With the water taxi you can buy a one way trip or a full day pass for a little more.

I don't know if the beach has any separate public facilities or not but there are restaurants, bars and a few hotels along the beach.

I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to when you refer to the "amazing tiki snorkel thingy beach" maybe you can shed some light on this or let us know where you read about this.

It's just over 1/2 mile from the Cruise Facility Gate to the head of Great Bay Beach. Just over 3/4 mile all the way to the Little Pier in front of the Court House. I wouldn't go in the water of Great Bay, personally.

me-n-kev: It's unclear if the Tiki Hut Snorkel Park is still in operation, but HERE is a link to their website. Never used them.

gary

In all the many times we've been to the bar at Maho Beach I have yet to see a woman take advantage of the "topless" offer (darn). Watching the planes land is awesome.

I have seen one, and it was darn hilarious. This lady was under an umbrella on a lounger with a large hardcover book strategically placed at all times and her husband kept getting the drinks for her. At first I thought maybe she had bet him that she would go topless at the beach but I later learned from cc about the offer of free drinks for women who go topless.:)

They normally require ladies to sit at the bar topless in order to receive free drinks. Last month we were there three different afternoons - two times there were topless drinkers at the bar, and the other time there were topless sunbathers. Oh, and one lady posing topless at the surfboard "topless women drink for free" sign.

Just another day at the beach!

The tiki snorkel thingy is a shore excursion that carnival is offering. After looking at the website (thanks), I think we'll pass on that one..

maybe maho beach - carnival doesn't have an excursion there. I know I'll be able to get a cab there, what about on the way back? (there are a total of 4 of us). How far/much?

Thanks,

Kevin

19 days till the dream

Last summer we were only able to be at Sunset Beach Bar for a few hours. However, during that time there were two attractive young ladies who took advantage of the offer. They did sit at the bar and had quite a few of the free drinks.

Archived