Champagne reef?

dawn1967

Hi there

We went snorkeling at Champagne Reef last year and can't wait to try it again in April on Carnival Victory.

The beach is made up of small round rocks but the water is awesome.

We booked through Irie Safari (they are located right at the entrance to Champagne reef) and they took care of everything for us. They booked our taxi which was $20 per person round trip for the short 15min ride from the dock to the reef. The cab driver met us with a sign at the dock . We felts like VIP's and actually waits for you until you're done with your snorkeling. We rented equipment from their shop and they sent us out with a PADI divemaster no less, as our guide.(equipment, entrance to the park and guide was around $18 if I remember correctly).

It doesn't get better than this. The reef which is simply mindblowing with all colors of tropical fish and a turtle and is the backyard of Irie Safari and I think nobody knows it better than they do. Our guide Dian, showed us stuff that we would have simply glided right over including cannons from a 17th century Spanish wreck which not many people know about for obvious reason. She also made me feel very comfortable in the water as my husband is the strong swimmer.. I've heard they are also building a small grill and pizza oven which will be fantastic as we're always starving after a good swim:)

I have read a lot on these forums about other tour operators and Champagne reef but I see no reason to try anyone else.

As I said this is their backyard, they run a very professional operation, with quality equipment (they scuba dive also, we only snorkeled) and they are just nice people.

This time around we contacted them and they have offered us a tour which includes Trafalgar Falls, the sulphur springs and Champagne snorkelling. We are considering.

Cyberona

Cyberona - was it crowded in the water at the reef? We are considering going there in June (our third trip to Dominica in the last year or so off a cruise ship). We are pretty avid snorkelers with our own gear but it seems like EVERY tour operator goes there and having hundreds of people in the water in a fairly small area is not for us. I guess what we're afraid of is having a Dominica experience like we had in January at Trafalgar Falls where there we literally hundreds of people trying to make their way down and back the slippery, narrow trail to the falls. It was almost comical. When we left the line of taxis stretched for over a half mile waiting to get into the parking area. We just do not want to duplicate that scene.

thanks!

Gene

Thanks again for the information. I have sent them an email requesting information and availability. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and don't really want to spend it crammed onto a boat 100 other people. The smaller the better.:)

We recently did our third tour through Irie Safari where we did a hike through some beautiful rainforest to Middleham Falls.

Then onto Champagne Reef for snorkeling which is also icing on the cake every time with our fearless guide Dian who really knows her stuff.

We also had some concerns about crowds and Clem at Irie Safari took time out to advise us on the hidden secrets (and believe me there are many) of Dominica like Middleham.

He also advised to snorkel early before the crowds get there or at lunch time when everyone is back on board eating. Early worked fine for us.

In a quick sentence our experiences on Dominica were made more memorable through the personal touches given by this company.

Thumbs up to Irie Safari. Great people who we have come to call our friends on Dominica.

We are looking at touring both Champagne Reef and Middleham falls with a couple of different operators. How much did your tour with Irie cost, if you don't mind telling? Did that include snorkeling equipment?

Any words of wisdom for us?

I've been to Champagne Reef (but not Middleham Falls) and here is my advice:

Wear water shoes! The rocky beach will kill your feet otherwise.

Snorkel to the left of where the beach ends - that's where the bubbles are, plus there are more fish and coral over there.

Bring your own snorkel gear if you have it - costs $12 to rent.

Have a great time - we loved it there!

Our first trip to Champagne we paid $19 for an incredible guided tour of the reef. We didn’t opt for a land tour back then.

I usually spend more per person at the movies here at home. I say support the local economy – rent the gear.

And this is more than a movie with really great people. What’s the price of a beer on board?

Say hi to Dian when you get there. Water shoes or sandals is a good idea but there is a boardwalk going all the way down the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an avid traveler and have visited the lovely island of Dominica several times. Needless to say my experience at Champagne was just absolutely wonderful. Literally, the experience of snorkeling and swimming among the bubbles rising up from the sea bed was just so close to nature and wonderful, there are literally no words... you just have to experience it for yourself.

What's more was the quality of service that was provided by the staff. Clem was just really great and everyone there was super kind and friendly. The equipment was all clean and organized, something I have found to be a real rare find with snorkeling and diving establishments that are off the beaten path.

A resounding 5 stars to the staff and establishment at Champagne Reef. Comfortable, beautiful, welcoming and breathtaking... Thanks again so much to everyone there and for those who want to know where to go on the island of Dominica, definitely make this one of your stops. you will not regret it!

Cheers!:o

I agree about renting the snorkel gear. It’s only $12. For as long as you want that day. I would hardly call that expensive.

The staff at Irie Safari made our vacation such a memorable one with their warmth and professionalism, it was worth every penny spent booking with them.

I would recommend Irie Safari to anyone who wishes to do a tour on Dominica. What an island!!!!

Archived