First Class vs Second cruising on NCL

Zimomiller

As for those in their suites? Good for them. I hope they have a good of a time as I do because I don't think all the extra amenities would make my vacation any better than it will be already. :)

Up until about 3 months ago, I would have been in total agreement.

And I'll still probably be in insides & balcony cabins most of the time anyway :D

ROAD? You need to find a cruiseline that leaves the dock! ;)

I try to make a funny and as usual---flat:o Flat...road... I really need to get out more... But seriously folks, if I paid a lot of money for a suite, I would want to get something out of it! But we all have the same common rooms, bars, etc. We all share the same shows, the same spa, etc. And let's face it, you don't have to be "rich" to pay for Cagneys or Mama's Italian kitchen!

A co-worker today said that CCL just raised rates because cruise bookings are up - let's be thankful that we get the value (at the moment), and not sweat the small stuff:)

I try to make a funny and as usual---flat:o Flat...road... I really need to get out more... But seriously folks, if I paid a lot of money for a suite, I would want to get something out of it! But we all have the same common rooms, bars, etc. We all share the same shows, the same spa, etc. And let's face it, you don't have to be "rich" to pay for Cagneys or Mama's Italian kitchen!

A co-worker today said that CCL just raised rates because cruise bookings are up - let's be thankful that we get the value (at the moment), and not sweat the small stuff:)

The way it raining outside right now, That cruiseship will be floating down the road by morning!

At least CCL gave a months warning to book before the prices go up. No surprises!:)

But cheap hotels don't have room service who will bring your a pot for free!!! And you KNOW the pot and maker were clean when they made it...run clean water through the coffee maker without grounds at the cheap hotel, and you're likely to still get something the color of coffee. :eek:

I hadn't felt like a second class passenger until they took the coffee makers out of the inside and ocean view cabins. :(

I don't know why I feel like this as I've never used the in-room coffee maker in hotels or on cruises, but my mother does and so do lots of other people. I guess because they were removed rather than simply not being replaced as they stopped working over time. Maybe because, as others mentioned when it happened, even cheap hotels provide coffee makers in the room. :confused:

But cheap hotels don't have room service who will bring your a pot for free!!! And you KNOW the pot and maker were clean when they made it...run clean water through the coffee maker without grounds at the cheap hotel, and you're likely to still get something the color of coffee. :eek:

Didn't you & I discuss how they clean previously ;)

Just get me on the ship-never been treated less than 1st class on any NCL cruise in any cabin category :D

Have you ever used those coffee pots in cheap hotel rooms? I have and they might make one or two cups of coffee from these silly pod things. You can't even put your own coffee in it without making a huge mess. I hate those things. We go to a conference twice a year and the event is held at a Holiday Inn. I take my own coffee pot!

I would rather have free room service.

I personally find this to be a disturbing trend and it will cause me to rethink how and where I spend my cruise $$.

What if I wish to spend my cruise $$ for these upgrades?

From what I understand, no one is ordering or requiring us to spend extra.

When I fly I choose to fly first class, but the people in coach do arrive at the same time I do.

I don't mind any business having certain upgrades that not everyone will participate in.

Even the land based resorts have different options for different guests. Would you be happy if you had to pay for the golf course, if you never play golf?

Those that wish to play, then pay for it. It's an option.

Personally I don't know if I've ever been on a vacation where every activity, every venue and every meal was included for every guest. I'm sure there are places like that but I don't wish to pay for things I know I won't use.

Dollar for dollar a cruise is a pretty good value even with the "extra's".

I can find a deck chair some where on the deck, away from the fancy posh folks and their perfect bodies and read a detective novel or a juicy romance novel while sipping on my club soda or a drink of the day (without the souvenir cup).

Oh NO!!!! We now have to have "perfect bodies" to go first class?

dammit.....that means that I will probably have to book steerage (or lower!) That is so unfair!

Oh NO!!!! We now have to have "perfect bodies" to go first class?

dammit.....that means that I will probably have to book steerage (or lower!) That is so unfair!

I've often heard that the circle is the perfect shape-so I'm thinking my body is already perfect :D

I don't see why this is an issue. There has always been a system of paying more to get more.

Hotels have regular rooms and suites. Suites in many hotels often have access to concierge rooms with treats not afforded the other guests. Sometimes there are special floors for VIP guests.

Airlines have coach, business, and first class. Again, first class has more space and access to free cocktails and better food.

Trains have coach, business, and sometimes special rooms or sleeper cars. The special accommodations often come with additional amenities.

As for cruise lines, Cunard still has a 3 class system. Each class has a different type of stateroom plus access to different restaurants. In addition there surcharge restaurants. My understanding is that NCL suites and the associated perks aren't that different from how HAL, Royal, and Princess handle their suites.

It all comes down to paying more to get more. In today's market, most businesses have a base product at a low price to appeal to the masses. Most offer buy-ups or add-ons for additional cost to those willing to pay for additional space, convenience, features, etc. Why should anyone get upset about this when it's public demand that has pushed businesses to have ala carte pricing to remain competitive.

I dont see anyone getting treated any different because of the room they got. Yes you get extra perks for the higher rooms prices but your paying for them. Its nothing like flying where, they close this little curtain because they dont want you to see what first/business clas passangers are getting. Everyone on the ship is getting the same kind of food. Yeah regular cabins may have to spend a little for the speciality but that doesnt bother me, because I could care less.. Its not like sitting coach were you have to pay $5.00 for a bottle of water and get some stale pretzels for a 5 hour flight and those in first class are sipping on wine and getting steak.. I just dont get the OP about the cruise ships... Its nothing like the Titanic, where you were only allowed in your area, you have free move about the ship except for what maybe half a deck?

Also, I forgot to say, dont let those people fool you sitting in first class. Most of them paid the same fare you did and got to upgrade bacuse they fly a lot, or an employee, or there business paid for it. Very seldom does a person pay for a first class ticket. 10 years airline experience!

I personally find this to be a disturbing trend and it will cause me to rethink how and where I spend my cruise $$.

if this bothers you, then you should spend your money elsewhere. But please know that this isn't worrisome for everyone. I like the way NCL does things. I like choices.

I just took a Carnival cruise. The food was fabulous, the entertainment was excellent.

I missed NCL.

I missed the choices and options.

I don't mind paying extra for things I want.

I like that other people who don't want these things don't have to pay for them in an exaggerated cruise fare (like RCCL...why do I want to pay exorbitant rates for rock climbing, ice skating, etc, when I don't use those options??)

Your feelings are not just your own. There are others that feel as you do. Fortunately, there are other cruise lines out there for you to cruise on.

Enjoy your next sail, on whichever line that is :)

I've often heard that the circle is the perfect shape-so I'm thinking my body is already perfect :D

LOL . I use that all the time :p

When someone talks about getting in shape , I always say , rounds a shape , I guess Im good ..

NCL has recreated First class vs Second class and applied it to cruising and no one seems to be focusing on that point in all the teeth nashing over additional fees.

NCL had already paved the first class vs steerage class trail with the neutering of food quality and service in the main dining rooms. Excellent service and terrific food used to be the norm. Now, you have to pay extra for it by going to an up charge restaurant. This is not a matter of perception, it is a fact. I have been cruising for 26 year and things have changed radically. Other cruise lines are following.

Most of the newer NCL ships have first class courtyards and the Epic does as well, but with a much larger space devoted to First Class.(ie the courtyard area and suites with courtyard access)

Now NCL is taking it a step further on Epic by having a whole area of the ship that is Posh class? Ice Bar class? It appears everyone pays to get in to these venues, thus, up charging those already up charged into First class.

Where will it all stop? Until people make their voices heard by voting with their spending habits, you can expect NCL and other cruise lines to continue to behave like the airlines and unbundle everything and add a price tag to it. They are already doing it with “special” events on board, jazz brunches, special ethnic dinners etc. They are constantly pushing the envelope. (and expecting you to fill it)

I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm wondering just where you plan to go to spend your cruise $$?:confused:

Kathy

Another option, if you are uncomfortable with this, is to exit elevator on deck 13 and walk up a very short flight of stairs and use your keycard to go through the door into the courtyard area.

I am not uncomfortable, I just wanted to know what people might say. I work in a maximum security prison so nobody on a cruise ship can possibly intimidate me :D.

Archived