Golden Princess

luv4cruises

Booked an Alaska cruise on Golden because it is refurbished. Upset about reviews complaining about mattresses and cabins. I'm traveling with first time cruisers and worried this will spoil their first experience. Any recent cruisers on the Golden?

• 2 weeks later...
Booked an Alaska cruise on Golden because it is refurbished. Upset about reviews complaining about mattresses and cabins. I'm traveling with first time cruisers and worried this will spoil their first experience. Any recent cruisers on the Golden?

I thought I read that they were exchanging all the mattresses.:) I will be on the 4/25/10 cruise:D. I can let you know. I read that people did ask for the crate mattresses before but I would think if they refurbished, mattresses would also be changed.:)

Mamaiscruzin and I are on the same HI trip in a few weeks so we can better tell the story. I was on the Golden in May 2009 just after her dry dock. The cabins were all still quite nice; they were starting to age a little but in good shape. They had new flat screens. The egg crates are always a must! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Golden last Sunday :(. The mattresses have not been changed so request an egg crate and you should sleep quite comfortably. It is best to make the request before you board because they do run out of them. The rooms are not large but they are clean and certainly adequate. The showers are cozy. If you are booking a balcony cabin, request Caribe deck where the decks are larger and half covered, half not.

The crew is very friendly and it is obvious that passenger satisfaction is their goal. The Captain reads and takes a personal interest in cruise critic. If Vashish Seeparsad (Chef De Cuisine) is still on board anything he prepares is wonderful. You will usually find him at the outdoor buffets, the International Cafe, or Crown Grill (which is well worth the extra $25for dinner). Also watch for the no extra cost pub lunches at the Crown Grill. I also understand that ELUA (Dave and Leialoha) will be on the Alaska cruises. You will enjoy them and their music.

Bottom line, there is so much to enjoy out of your room that you really shouldn't spend to much time in it. Go and have a good time, Alaska is beautiful.

Thank you all for responding to my concerns about the mattresses. I am disappointed that Princess could perform such an extensive dry dock and skip the cabins. I chose the Golden precisely because of the dry dock. I wrote directly to Princess and was disappointed in their response. They did not answer my questions as you cruisers have done.

I am spoiled by the HAL Signature of Excellence upgrades and the European mattresses. I have been on the Ruby and the Caribbean and don't remember anyone complaining about the matresses.

I love cruising so I will get over it! I just hope that my first-time cruiser friends are not turned off to cruising by uncomfortable quarters. I usually choose ships by how new they are and the itinerary. I loved the Grand Med on the Ruby last September!:)

Archived