Best VOS submarine excursion ?

Going on Voyager 9/24 on a 9-day caribbean (Labadee, Ocho Rios, Cayman, Freeport). I told my boy there were 'submarine' excurions and he's VERY interested (as am I!)

There are a couple available, and some say 'semi-submersible' and I get the impression some aren't really submarines - more like submarine shaped bathosphere's which just submerce and come back up (and maybe not all the way under).

What my boy and I want is a real sub - self propelled which will tour under the sea the whole way. Any advice on one of the sub excursions which fit that bill? Or general comments about the submarines at GeorgeTown/Ocho Rios ?

Thanks!

jim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;9;24;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

9/24/04 RCL Voyager NY<-->Carib

9/03 NCL Dawn NY<-->Bahamas

1967 Oceanic NY<-->Bahamas

I don't know the answer, but I can't wait to read it! My wife and I will be on the 9 day VOS June 4...so I can report back on our experience...I'll look out for "real" submarines. One thing we are looking to do is SNUBA.

Hi LogansDad/Jim,

I don't know if this helps you, but back in 1989 I was in Grand Cayman and my friend and I went sightseeing in the tiny Atlantis Research submarine, the three-person one that goes appx 900' down. Back then it was only (only?!) $200pp and I think it has doubled now, but it was an experience that I'll never forget. The sub is TINY, but you see things that are amazing, from a close-up shipwreck to strange-looking but beautiful fish and coral formations. I don't swim a lick and was a bit nervous about going, but to this day it's one of my most vivid, fond memories. If I could convince my husband to take the dive I'd go back in a minute! Please let us know what you wind up doing, would love to hear about it. Have a wonderful cruise with your son!

Archived