Anyone sail out of Mobile latley?

G&TQ

Me too!!!! We leave in 57 days and I can't decide weather to stay at a hotel that lets you park and they drop you off or just park in the terminal.

Any ideas on which is better? Can we get in earlier if we have the hotel drop us off?

I am so ready to go.......

We cruised out of Mobile on 2/13/10. Embarktation went well even with the Mardi Gras traffic. We left the USS Alabama at 1100 AM and were on the ship by 100 PM--not bad. The biggest problem is having to wait in line to pay the parking---2 ladies feeding money in a machine---has to be a better way.

Debarktation was completely FUBAR ! We got in line to leave the ship at 900 AM and reached our car in the garage at 12:15 PM--three hours and fifteen minutes of standing in line to get our luggage and clear customs. In twenty plus cruises out of eight ports, I have never expereinced such a mess.

We were very disappointed in Mobile--both the port and the downtown area. We spent one night post cruise in downtown to tour the city. I don't think we ever plan to return.

We cruised out of Mobile on 2/13/10. Embarktation went well even with the Mardi Gras traffic. We left the USS Alabama at 1100 AM and were on the ship by 100 PM--not bad. The biggest problem is having to wait in line to pay the parking---2 ladies feeding money in a machine---has to be a better way.

Debarktation was completely FUBAR ! We got in line to leave the ship at 900 AM and reached our car in the garage at 12:15 PM--three hours and fifteen minutes of standing in line to get our luggage and clear customs. In twenty plus cruises out of eight ports, I have never expereinced such a mess.

We were very disappointed in Mobile--both the port and the downtown area. We spent one night post cruise in downtown to tour the city. I don't think we ever plan to return.

From this review it sounds like staying at a hotel and being dropped off may be the way to go, bypass all the lines and get right in. I want to be in line at 10am, does anyone think that's possible or would they turn us away???

From this review it sounds like staying at a hotel and being dropped off may be the way to go, bypass all the lines and get right in. I want to be in line at 10am, does anyone think that's possible or would they turn us away???

I was told the terminal opened at 11 AM but there were plenty of people there when we arrived so it must have opened earlier.When we debarked on the 18th people were still trying to leave the ship at 12:15 (and we got in at 600 AM so fog was not an issue) so I don't know how embarktation went.Cabs and shuttles will bypass the lines to pay for parking and will be easier.Staterooms were not ready (never are) to 1:00 PM so if you get on early you will have to tote any carryons around with you.

Several downtown hotels looked nice but we chose the historic Malaga Inn thinking it would be similar to places we stay in Charleston.The Malaga could be very nice if the staff could figure out how to use a broom and get the trashbags off the porch.Our historic room was ok but there is no excuse for having to step over piles of dirt and dodge full trash bags in hall ways to get to your room.It was like someone started cleaning and then just quit.I expected more for 153.00 per night.The trash and dirt piles were not cleaned during our stay.Avoid this place and try the Hampton, Holiday Inn, or Radison. They all looked nice from the outside.We were also disappointed in the much hyped Dauphin Street and Wintzell's.It appeared to me that 50 percent of the buildings on Dauphin Street were abandoned. The Museum of Mobile and the Conde-Charlotte House were vey nice.The Battleship was also very interesting.Mobile could be a great tourist destination with some major cleaning downtown.

in Mobile is that the Parking Garage is too small. It was built for a Holiday Class ship and the Fantasy completely fills it up.

Mobile is a drive in destination Very few people fly in, so auto traffic is more than a lot of ships for that reason also.

Only one road to the terminal, means traffic stays backed up.

The real problem is if the arriving cruise is even a little late, they do not have time to empty the parking lot and you have people coming and going at the same time, or they make the arriving people wait.

I enjoy cruising from Mobile, but embarkation and debarkation have been a hassle every time we have done so.

I have sailed from Mobile six times, always arrive about 10:45 AM and on each occasion, we were on board before noon, often by 11:30. The cruise terminal holds about 550 vehicles; the excess is routed to the Civic Center (about 2 blocks away). Debarkation has also been a breeze for us also, as we always do self assist. Unless the ship is delayed due to weather, we are usually in the car and on our way by 8 AM.

I've sailed out of Mobile twice, the last time was in October. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Mobile West which for $119 was a great deal and they are very nice there. They offer free parking for the cruise and free shuttle service to and from the port. Both times getting on and off the ship was a breeze. We were one of the first ones there and it took a total of 15 mins to get on the ship. We stayed on the Main deck and did self assist debarkation and were literally the 3rd people off the ship. It took a whole 5 mins to get off the ship, through customs and to the outside to wait on the shuttle.

We left out of Mobile on the 18th. We arrived at the port around 10:30 and they told us to come back in an hour or so. We drove around, grabbed a drink at McDonalds and came back at 11:00 and they had just started letting people in the parking garage. The line was probably a half mile long, and they were diverting some people elsewhere to park. They'd let a group on, then tell the next group to follow an officer car somewhere (convention center parking maybe?). We were on board by 12:30, so it went pretty smoothly once we were parked.

Debarking was a nightmare. This was my 7th cruise, and I'm pretty sure this was the absolute longest I have stood in line to get off of the boat and clear customs. We finally got on the road around 12:15, a good 3 hours later than I had hoped for.

We went out of Mobile in Sept and it was EASY.. Easy to get to the parking deck and it's right next to the ship. Lines moved good and getting on and off only took a few minutes.

Compared to Miami it's a thousand times better...

Can't wait to sail out of Mobile again. We are trying to fly in to Miami in April and see if it's any better...

Try Mobile, it's great.

We sailed from Mobile on 2/13 and arrived at terminal around 11:15. We were parked and onboard by 12:30. Like Dive Master said worst part of parking was waiting on the two women feeding money into the machines.We did self assist disembark on the 18th and were leaving the terminal at 8am.

Okay my mind is almost made up......we will be staying the nite before and letting the hotel shuttel us over so we miss(if any) lines and will be on early.

If anyone has done this how was being picked up, did you have to wait a hour to be picked back up by the hotel? Do they provide you with a number to call?

Fantasy here I come......

I sailed out of Mobile on the 8th - it was frustrating. Like everyone else said, the parking deck is too small to handle a ship the size of the Fantasy. In addition, the port abuts a CSX rail line. So every time a train comes by, all traffic into and out of the terminal is blocked.

We arrived at 11:40 and were on board at 1:20. The only reason it didn't take longer than that - we drove to the port from the east side of town and everyone else came in from the west. So we kinda had to cut in the traffic line. If we hadn't done that, I think it would have taken another hour or two longer! I talked to someone on board who said they had to wait for three trains to pass (we only had to wait on one).

Once you are inside the terminal, the line moves fast.

We sailed from Mobile on 2/13 and arrived at terminal around 11:15. We were parked and onboard by 12:30. Like Dive Master said worst part of parking was waiting on the two women feeding money into the machines.We did self assist disembark on the 18th and were leaving the terminal at 8am.

8 AM--that is amazing. I guess self assist is the only way to go. We left our luggage in the hall the night before (I had heavy dive gear) and the line to get off the ship and to the luggage claim area was unbelievable.Three hours and fifteen minutes of standing in line and listening to the two same screaming kids we enjoyed all week.I have never witnessed such a screwed up operation and don't plan to experience it again.

Okay my mind is almost made up......we will be staying the nite before and letting the hotel shuttel us over so we miss(if any) lines and will be on early.

If anyone has done this how was being picked up, did you have to wait a hour to be picked back up by the hotel? Do they provide you with a number to call?

Fantasy here I come......

Depends on what hotel how it works. We stayed at a microtel (about 9 miles from port) and they had a park and cruise package for $50 extra from whatever price you paid for your room. For the $50 they had UNLIMITED days parking (we took a B2B cruise for 9 days total) and they took us to and from the port. The driver is part of the management team their and he gave me his cell phone # and told us to call when we got back. We called at 8AM as we exited the terminal and he was ther within 15 minutes.

We sailed out of Mobile on the 18th and received a robotic call from Carnival the day before advising us that we could arrive at the terminal at 10:30AM.

We were parked by 10:45, checked in by 11:15 and began boarding at 11:45.

The cabins were ready at 1:30.

We did the self assist debark and were off the ship and cleared customs by 8:30.

Very easy and simple compared to a previous cruise on the Holiday when the ship was late due to fog. When the ship is late, the Mobile port is a disaster area.

One of the terminal workers told us that each cruise is a different adventure.

Previous Mobile cruisers....thanks for all the info...we will definitely be doing self assist. 6 of us and I will make each one (4 kids)responsible for his or her own suitcase on wheels! We have a LONG drive home and getting of the ship quick will make it a whole lot easier! We have the stay and park package at Holiday Inn, and sounds like it will be worth it from everything I have heard here! Thanks for all the info!:)

I just googled the Civi center. It looks like it is more then 2 blocks. What are the parking fees there? Would it be better (faster) to drop off the bags and then park at the civic center?

nobody answered this question , but i would be curious to know the price myself. it sucks that the parking garage is not workable for the amount of cars it needs to hold. i am not crazy about waiting in a long line then to be told to follow someone to park elsewhere, then be shuttled or walk. i am already sorry i booked mobile, and hadn't even been there yet. plan was to use the garage, not all the other options.

even if no answer to the cost or lack of for parking at civic center... you can bet there is a fee involved.

nobody answered this question , but i would be curious to know the price myself. it sucks that the parking garage is not workable for the amount of cars it needs to hold. i am not crazy about waiting in a long line then to be told to follow someone to park elsewhere, then be shuttled or walk. i am already sorry i booked mobile, and hadn't even been there yet. plan was to use the garage, not all the other options.

even if no answer to the cost or lack of for parking at civic center... you can bet there is a fee involved.

I believe that the price is the same as the terminal parking garage. They have a section cordoned off for cruise parking, with security on site. It is a bit of a rip since anyone can park during the day for $2 (I think) all day. There is no over night parking, though, other than the section reserved for the cruise terminal. If you get there early, I would think that you should be able to get into the terminal garage without a problem. It holds about 550 vehicles.

We were also on the Feb 13th cruise. We arrived at the terminal around 10:30am and was told that it wasn't open yet. We were directed to the Civic Center. When we got to the Civic Center the gentleman said we could park there or go back to the terminal and wait for it to open which would be closer to 11am. We chose to park at the Civic Center. The cost was $60- cash only (would have been $75 at the terminal). The Civic Center is about 2-3 blocks away but they have busses that take you to the terminal. They are large charter busses. The bus was just leaving as we pulled in but it was back in about 15 minutes. You give your luggage to the driver and he puts it under the bus. Then when you get to the terminal he unloads the luggage and there were porters waiting to take it from you.

Debarkation was a mess. We were told by the porter that they were doing an inspection that day and that it usually is not that long. Once we got outside we waited about 10 minutes for the bus to take us back to the Civic Center.

Archived