Cruiseship crashes into dock, killing 3...

InEEDofAcruise

Jokes? Over this. Bad form.

Then I guess I am in bad form or am going to be.:p

At what point does it become a joke when the same corporation has hit the pier how many times in the last few weeks?:rolleyes:

An the tragedy in all of this is some poor innocent person has lost their life due to human error. What are they running here a Circus? No a Carnival.

Steve

I agree - tragic indeed, but there have been a LOT of pier incidents recently. Either that, or we are simply hearing about more...:confused:

I wonder if Carnival will issue stricter protocols to their ships regarding approaching piers in poor (even marginal) weather conditions. Similar to Sea World now saying that trainers will no longer be in the water with Killer Whales... safety first - which saves lives and litigation ($) down the road. If that's the case, we may hear even more moaning and groaning on the boards about people missing "the only port I booked my cruise for".

Tom

Thats stinks, never something you want to hear. I have to ask, b/c I am curious, but I mean the ship is pretty big. I am just wondering how they died, I mean did they fall off the ship when it hit??

I am just the type of person that likes to know details, b/c honestly these crew members know what their doing so they have to really been surprised by something you know, to maybe throw them off their feet?

Thats stinks, never something you want to hear. I have to ask, b/c I am curious, but I mean the ship is pretty big. I am just wondering how they died, I mean did they fall off the ship when it hit??

I am just the type of person that likes to know details, b/c honestly these crew members know what their doing so they have to really been surprised by something you know, to maybe throw them off their feet?

From what I've read, a ~6 foot hole was gouged in the hull. I would imagine that the compartment they were in was flooded.

Tom

From what I've read, a ~6 foot hole was gouged in the hull. I would imagine that the compartment they were in was flooded.

Tom

Imagine the horror those men would have faced in their final minutes. The seawater begins to leak in. Their escape routes are automatically sealed to prevent the entire ship from sinking. No one can rescue them without causing a much greater loss of life and the loss of the ship. And their space slowly fills with water. What air pockets remain won't last long since it will be days until the compartment can be opened...

Talk about a nightmare! Those poor men (I assume they were men) did not deserve what happened to them.

Perhaps the building of ever bigger ships has a slight problem -- that they are ever bigger sails to the wind, susceptible to being demolished at the dock.

Solution? Simple. Tender, rather than dock. What, you say? A ship with 5,000 passengers is not tender-friendly? Hmmm, well, you should have thought of the danger when you bought the ship, smart guy!

Perhaps the building of ever bigger ships has a slight problem -- that they are ever bigger sails to the wind, susceptible to being demolished at the dock.

I don't think it's the size of the ships, the Navy has ships much larger and know how to handle them (the USS Ronald Regan is 300 foot longer). I would suspect that when the official report comes out it's going to be a combination of factors that will lead to revised rules for future dockings.

I don't think it's the size of the ships, the Navy has ships much larger and know how to handle them (the USS Ronald Regan is 300 foot longer). I would suspect that when the official report comes out it's going to be a combination of factors that will lead to revised rules for future dockings.

Or maybe the lack of a nuclear powerplant which is stronger than the fiercest winds.

Mass market cruise ships are very weak on the power... they frequently break down. They frequently let the wind get the best of them. Just think if an airline had engines quitting in flight, or planes which could not land in a crosswind without damaging the plane.

Maybe it is time for the respective governments of the various nations where cruise ships call... to demand a better powerplant in their ships or force them to anchor and tender.

It might even come to requiring them to utilize a tug when the winds are over a certain amount.

Yes... *shudder* they may need to hire a tug and then they would have to raise alcohol prices even further.

Look, navigating a ship is not rocket science. It's pretty darn mundane. Wind is not a new phenomenon.

There's really no excuse for an accident like this. Carnival needs to be raked over the coals until they are crispy.

Oohh! I just thought of something!

Carnival's stock will probably get hammered on Monday because of this. It will be a great buying opportunity for those of us who have been thinking of buying 100 shares to get the OBC, but were looking for a deal.

Yeah, I know, the deals were last Spring at the bottom of the recession. I just was not in a position to buy then. I am now. I hope the stock tanks.

Just off the Dream in January. The captain decided, after 3 tries and 3 failures of trying to dock in Costa Maya due to strong winds, he decided we could use another sea day, so that's what we got. Yes ,that was a port I, along with a lot of other passengers wanted to see, but not for the price of someones life. I assume there was a lot of moaning and groaning, but I personally did not hear any. Maybe I'm deaf, my wife says I am! :rolleyes:

Oohh! I just thought of something!

Carnival's stock will probably get hammered on Monday because of this. It will be a great buying opportunity for those of us who have been thinking of buying 100 shares to get the OBC, but were looking for a deal.

Yeah, I know, the deals were last Spring at the bottom of the recession. I just was not in a position to buy then. I am now. I hope the stock tanks.

Gordon Gekko I presume?

Archived