shorts in dining room

shelli0729

I have dress shorts, but I would never consider wearing them in the dining room at dinner ever!!!!!

Exactly. Just because they now allow dress shorts in to keep Bubba fed, the dress code for my children starts with me.

We never wear shorts in the evening. And this suits US fine.

i have dress shorts, but i would never consider wearing them in the dining room at dinner ever!!!!! I understand that the young person doesn't want to dress up, but you know what make them!!!! They will have to wear dress/or busness attire soon enough, you might as well get them into the habit and if they moan and groan about it suggest that they can stay home with grandma and grandpa....

seriously, minor aged children need to be treated like children, they need to be told that this is how it is, and do it....someone has to prepare them for the harsh reality of the adult world, so as a parent it is your job to do that. You've been in that boat too, your parents made you dress up to go to a nice restaurant, why not be a good parent and make your child do the same.

omg! Roflmao!!!

Although I would suspect a troll starting this,,maybe you are not. Therefore I would ask in what world are cargo shorts formal or elegant? Wear your big boy pants on those nights.

Love it, this is my fave, sounds like my advice!!! :rolleyes:

Too bad for you, shorts ARE allowed in the dining room on non-elegant nights.

You are right they are allowed, but does it follow that you should? My boys (12 and 6 soon) wear kakhi pants and a collared shirt. This isn't Chili's or Applebees...it is a nice dining experience. They are required to wear pants and collared shirts to school, I don't think it is too much to ask them to wear it for dinner.

Now what the dress code really needs to comment on is hats - since when did men decide that it was appropriate to wear a baseball hat to dinner?

You are right they are allowed, but does it follow that you should? My boys (12 and 6 soon) wear kakhi pants and a collared shirt. This isn't Chili's or Applebees...it is a nice dining experience. They are required to wear pants and collared shirts to school, I don't think it is too much to ask them to wear it for dinner.

Now what the dress code really needs to comment on is hats - since when did men decide that it was appropriate to wear a baseball hat to dinner?

Nobody said you should wear shorts........they are just saying they are allowed.......

No I saw that........I missed this:p

LOL!! Honestly, I don't think it is that difficult for people to adhere to the dress codes. Perhaps people don't want to adhere because it is "their" vacation so they can do as they please. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :p;)

I wonder if someone else is wearing shorts does that make your food taste any different?

I wore shorts evert night on the Dream and was just waiting for someone to give me the evil eye! I would rather have a Man wear shorts to dinner than have some Lady's Boobs hanging out who thinks she is 20 again. You're on the "Walmart " of ther Seas and I've seen some pretty wild things at Walmart.

LOL!! Honestly, I don't think it is that difficult for people to adhere to the dress codes. Perhaps people don't want to adhere because it is "their" vacation so they can do as they please. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :p;)

I agree!......

Boy, don't be shocked when you see shorts because they are worn every night, right or wrong in the MDR. With anytime dinning becoming the more popular mode of dinning I believe the days of Elegant Night may be numbered or relegated to Captains cocktail party or the Steak Houses. Our last cruise over half the main dinning room was reserved for AT dinning. We still dress up say business casual but not formal. The tux I purchased and used on many cruises is long gone to Goodwill.

I think you may be a little confused about anytime dining. It doesn't mean you can dress anyway you want. You still have to follow the guidelines. You are still seated in the MDR only separate from traditional. My DH and I dressed appropriately every night for anytime dining. In fact on Elegant Night someone showed up in nice shorts and polo shirt and the maitre D' turned him away. So don't blame anytime dining for the lack of dress.

Try a different cruise line if you don't like what Carnival allows. There are plenty of other options. Carnival controls the venue and sets the policy. Asking "should" on a cosmopolitan message board like this is pretty worthless. Your values mean little to everyone else, as do mine.

Honestly, if it's ok in the Carnival suggested dress code, then I'm ok with it. If you don't like what I'm wearing that's permitted within the code the YOU go to the buffet. Your tacky tie or outfit doesn't impact my enjoyment of my dinner and I'm fairly certain my son's cargo shorts will have little impact on the taste of your steak. Gracious.

How I raise my children is my business. While I owe no one an explanation, I do require that my 17 year old wear long pants/jeans in the evening and dress in a collared shirt and dockers for elegant night. I could care less if another parent chooses to let their child do otherwise.

It is VACATION...live and let live people:D

Granted, on the cruises I've been on, most of the folks in the dining rooms were dressed nicely. No one overdid it, but I'd say most folks were business casual, except on formal nights, where you saw lots of dresses and sportcoats. And, BTW, these cruises were in '08 and '09. In fact, many of the folks at our table on the first cruise dressed up on the last night, even though it wasn't a formal night, so we could all take pictures of each other.

Now, this is strictly my opinion, but I think people ought to make an effort to at least look nice if they're going to eat in the dining rooms. Do you HAVE to? No, but it's a sign of respect to everyone else there. You don't have to dress up to go to church, but most people do it anyway because it's a sign of respect. If I don't feel like putting on slacks and a collared shirt, I can eat in the casual restaurant, on Lido, or in my cabin. I'm not a slob, but I would rather be as casual as possible, but if I'm sitting at a table eating a four-course meal with people I have just met, I would like to make a good impression on them.

And, if for no other reason, I'd do it because you never know who you might run into. On our honeymoon, we cruised out of Tampa, but we ran into the head of security at the community college where my wife went for her first two years of school. On our second cruise, we met some folks from Auburn, AL, and, since we live in Tuscaloosa, we didn't want to be outclassed by those Auburn folks. :) You just never know. You could run into someone who is the CEO of a company where you'd like to work. Remember, the person sitting next to you at your table could be a janitor or a Senator.

The dress code does comment on hats. It clearly states that baseball hats are not allowed in the MDR.

Try a different cruise line if you don't like what Carnival allows. There are plenty of other options. Carnival controls the venue and sets the policy. Asking "should" on a cosmopolitan message board like this is pretty worthless. Your values mean little to everyone else.

I don't need a different cruise line, thanks. I can respect the fact that it is allowed, and I don't look a people funny should they chose to wear the minimum.

My only reason for posting was that I think people need to think about where they are, and dress appropriately, regardless of what the dress code allows. Just wth many things in life, the dress code has been dumbed down to suit the masses, rather than asking the masses to raise their standards.

Dress code is a matter of basic manners, and really has nothing to do with values. Whether someone wears shorts in the dining room does not make them a bad person, it simply indicates that they were not raise to know better.

I was raised knowing that at any time and any place, you could meet a person that would change the course of your life forever. Better be dressed in such a way that they don't pass you over, thinking you are ignorant of the appropriate code.

I don't need a different cruise line, thanks. I can respect the fact that it is allowed, and I don't look a people funny should they chose to wear the minimum.

My only reason for posting was that I think people need to think about where they are, and dress appropriately, regardless of what the dress code allows. Just wth many things in life, the dress code has been dumbed down to suit the masses, rather than asking the masses to raise their standards.

Dress code is a matter of basic manners, and really has nothing to do with values. Whether someone wears shorts in the dining room does not make them a bad person, it simply indicates that they were not raise to know better.

Good lord.......

I don't see how what one is wearing, affects others. If you dont agree look the other way.

Some people like to be comfortable, after all they are on vacation. Which should be a time of relaxation. The Carnival rules allow shorts, so wear away. If you enjoy dressing up on cruises try royal carribbean. I know there dinners are much more formal. And I could only imagine that princess, celebrity, cunard, and holland are very formal also.

Archived