shorts in dining room

shelli0729

Granted, on the cruises I've been on, most of the folks in the dining rooms were dressed nicely. No one overdid it, but I'd say most folks were business casual, except on formal nights, where you saw lots of dresses and sportcoats. And, BTW, these cruises were in '08 and '09. In fact, many of the folks at our table on the first cruise dressed up on the last night, even though it wasn't a formal night, so we could all take pictures of each other.

Now, this is strictly my opinion, but I think people ought to make an effort to at least look nice if they're going to eat in the dining rooms. Do you HAVE to? No, but it's a sign of respect to everyone else there. You don't have to dress up to go to church, but most people do it anyway because it's a sign of respect. If I don't feel like putting on slacks and a collared shirt, I can eat in the casual restaurant, on Lido, or in my cabin. I'm not a slob, but I would rather be as casual as possible, but if I'm sitting at a table eating a four-course meal with people I have just met, I would like to make a good impression on them.

And, if for no other reason, I'd do it because you never know who you might run into. On our honeymoon, we cruised out of Tampa, but we ran into the head of security at the community college where my wife went for her first two years of school. On our second cruise, we met some folks from Auburn, AL, and, since we live in Tuscaloosa, we didn't want to be outclassed by those Auburn folks. :) You just never know. You could run into someone who is the CEO of a company where you'd like to work. Remember, the person sitting next to you at your table could be a janitor or a Senator.[/quote]

I respect janitors more than most senators!!

Sounds like we were raised in the same social circle. I love to watch people being turned away at a fine restaurant because they FAIL to dress appropriately.

My first time in London I wore courderoy pants and a dress shirt to a restaurant. They turned me away saying "No jeans allowed"......the four men that went in in front of me were from Saaudi Arabia and were wearing SHEETS!!! Too funny!

I wear my Blue Jean shorts to the MDR and sometimes a t-shirt

I pick up on an island , Nothing has ever been said, I really

don't care what others think ,

I believe a lot of differances come from what part of the US you

live , Someone from Alabama cotton country will not dress like someone

from New York , I have cruised from FL ports and Galveston

There is a lot of difference in the type of people on each

The crusies from Galveston are a lot more laid back , Not a lot of

dress up ,Most are from TX , OK ,AR ,LA not many from up north

They seem to cruise more from FL, In this part of the US

it is rare to see a tux anywhere , Business casual?? LOL

try jeans , pull over shirt for men , and jeans and blouse

for women at work , Even bank workers don't dress up here:eek:

Go HOGS!!!!

who is "they".... and only private schools require that.

In the public schools in my county the kids wear uniforms. Kakhi or blue pants/shorts/dresses and kakhi, blue or white polo sytle shirts w/collars. Clothes that would totaly appropriate to wear in the MDR on any night.

Go HOGS!!!!

We grow cotton in Alabama? Where? Never seen any. Actually, I grew up in the Mississippi Delta, with cotton EVERYWHERE. Now, you'd be hard-pressed to find any. It's all corn over there now.

Oh, and before I forget, ROLL TIDE!!! :D Gotta give you a hard time. I lived in Fort Smith for a couple of years back in 2000-2001. NW Arkansas is some pretty country, and the lack of humidity was a nice change from MS and AL.

I get a bit confused and forgive me in advance for saying. Everyone is so worried about how the person across the room is dressed. I wonder if the people in the suits were raised in suits and if they were raised to bash other people and their thoughts so easily. I would personally not let anyone ruin my vacation let alone by how they are dressed!!! We should worry more about kind to one another then how someone appears!

well it's fairly obvious that you were not properly raised in a proper southern state such as virginia. how can you expect to be properly proper living in such an improper place like washington.....you are simply not proper I declare.;)

Please show me where I said it was a fact or a rule that shorts are not allowed.

Ahem. The OP asked, 'are nice cargo/khaki shorts and a nice tee ok for young men in the dining room?'

You said 'if you feel compelled to wear shorts, please visit the Lido deck...'

YOU were the one with the misleading answer that was your opinion, not fact, that DID NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION POSTED.

I don't believe for a second that it doesn't bother you. We are not talking about a wedding, but rather a dinner on the fun ship. If you want to dress up, good for you, but I dress in a pressed uniform every workday and as long as it's allowed in the dress code-I'm going to wear shorts on non elegant nights.

Go get 'em!!:mad:

I agree. I will follow the rules too,,but if you come in without a shirt I probably will be a snitch. That's just not right on a lot of levels.

I would throw pads of soft butter at their chest until they left....unless it is a female of course.

No one has mentioned the dining room staff. I think they go to a lot of trouble to make our dining experience special. Most come from cultures that tend to dress much better than most N. Americans for special occasions. I would think they appreciate our efforts to look nice at night!

You mean the guys dancing on the tables...who cares!!! (you were kidding, right?!):confused:

We grow cotton in Alabama? Where? Never seen any. Actually, I grew up in the Mississippi Delta, with cotton EVERYWHERE. Now, you'd be hard-pressed to find any. It's all corn over there now.

Oh, and before I forget, ROLL TIDE!!! :D Gotta give you a hard time. I lived in Fort Smith for a couple of years back in 2000-2001. NW Arkansas is some pretty country, and the lack of humidity was a nice change from MS and AL.

It's soybeans and rice here now ,very little cotton , and the ozarks

are very nice to see Humidity? Mid -June to Sept 90 to 95 %

everyday here in Little Rock and south AR I know yall have it worse

though , And Yall did have a fair team this last year:D:D

Too funny :D.

I doubt a maitre d' would refuse a tip from someone wearing shorts. ;)

I also doubt those who threaten to withhold tips from the maitre d' would tip anyway.

I'd bet money that the maitre d' would like to tell those who threaten to withhold tips to keep their complaints and tips to themselves. :p

In the public schools in my county the kids wear uniforms. Kakhi or blue pants/shorts/dresses and kakhi, blue or white polo sytle shirts w/collars. Clothes that would totaly appropriate to wear in the MDR on any night.

So the kids have to dress up and you don't even have to pay the big bucks to make that happen?......that's a dirty little trick!

No, no, no, please don't do that! I went through 12 years of Catholic school, and, although we only wore uniforms through the sixth grade, I'm still scarred from that experience. Dark blue pants and light blue shirt, just like inmates wear.

Its allowed. I dont see what the big deal is with khaki shorts is. You cant even see peoples legs under the table. I would say shorts and a polo shirt are more then acceptable especially for a child or teen.

And on the other hand if you would like to wear a penguin suit to the MDR everynight be my guest. Thats allowed too.

Carnivals policy gives people who would usually skip the MDR because of the dresscode the option to eat there. The diningroom crew works for merely tips, so the more people carnival can cram in there, the more tips, and appealing the job seems.

No, no, no, please don't do that! I went through 12 years of Catholic school, and, although we only wore uniforms through the sixth grade, I'm still scarred from that experience. Dark blue pants and light blue shirt, just like inmates wear.

I had the clip on tie ...............

I had the clip on tie ...............

No tie for me, but we had a little patch on the shirt pocket. Learned the meaning of irony from that patch. Since the Sisters of Mercy ran the school, it had "Mercy" printed on it. One day, one of my classmates asked what mercy had to do with anything where these nuns were concerned.

Well I was raised in the South as well and understand all about appropriate dress and manners. I was even a debutant! It is perfectly appropriate to me since Carnival allows it in their dress code. I was certainly raised right as indicated by my socio-economical standing and other factors. I'm sorry that our standards don't match but that really will not impact my decision to wear a skirt or a pair of shorts. I'm secure in dressing myself!

Not a deb here, but southern born & well bred. Heck, when I graduated from high school in Mississippi (1964), we had graduation teas where all the young ladies wore hats and white gloves. When my girlfriends get together now, we laugh about it. None of us would wish it on our children or grandchildren, all of whom we consider well raised. I will say that at our last class reunion, we did have a ladies' tea, and quite a few of the ladies wore hats, but it was just for fun, not because someone deemed it appropriate. Would I dress to the nines for a charity ball or inauguration? Sure--but not for dinner on a cruise ship. I'll dress according to Carnival's written rules, and be perfectly comfortable in doing so.

Go HOGS!!!!

Excellent points (well, except for the go Hogs part)

Archived