shorts in dining room

shelli0729

One more time...it is permitted so I shall dress as I please and if YOU don't like it then YOU eat at the Lido buffet so that YOU don't starve. Gracious.

Sorry - it is not permitted according to the Carnival's rules. People just ignore them.

I've seen this type of thread come and go a thousand times' date=' and I've really been good lately at not getting involved, but the situation seems to be getting worse.

The majority of the passengers on a cruise dress properly and are respectful of the ambience the cruise line is hoping to achieve. The cruise lines have bent their "rules" [b']lately because of economic situations and the exigencies of accommodating people with less class and a challenged sense of social conventions and niceties.[/b] This does not mean they approve of seeing their product cheapened and diminished, it just means that they have decided to tolerate the selfish and ignorant somewhat-lower class "Me, Me, Me" mentality to be able to continue (in the current economic climate) in business.

For the newcomers to cruising, the people who advise you to wear whatever you want and to adhere to the crassest minimum of being allowed into the dining room are a large minority; but, as with most uncouth persons, they are extremely vocal and loud in demanding that everyone adhere to their attempts to convert the once-sophisticated and beloved aura of sea cruises into an embodiment of McDonald's, Big Lots and the Dollar Store.

Seriously? Freakin' seriously? What the hell is up with you people today? Did everyone wake up with a hangover and a taste for holier-than-thou BS?

I truly wish someone with come up with a Lower Slobbovian Cruise Line which could accommodate all of these yahoos and restore cruising to the elegant and special experience it once was.

They did. It's called "Carnival". Why don't you heigh yourself on over to HAL so you and the other octogenarians can trade stories about all the times you yelled at kids to get off your law.

Sorry - it is not permitted according to the Carnival's rules. People just ignore them.

Sorry, you're incorrect. In fact, if you'd like to stop being wrong in the near future, you can read the *ENTIRE* what to wear section here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

Or just the *ENTIRE* relevant section here (highlighted for easy reading):

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

I look at it this way...Carnival has a Maitre D who is in charge of the dining room. It's HIS duty to decide what is, or is not acceptable. I don't get involved....:rolleyes:

A cruiseline, or a cruiseline maitre d' teaching me, an adult, how to dress for dinner.

That's rich.

I would be embarrassed if I needed to look in a cruise pamphlet to get that information.

Yes, Long Shorts are permitted according to Carnival's rules on Non-Cruise Elegant nights. You just don't seem to be able to read them correctly. Read the whole dress code. Not just what you want to read.

A cruiseline, or a cruiseline maitre d' teaching me, an adult, how to dress for dinner.

That's rich.

I would be embarrassed if I needed to look in a cruise pamphlet to get that information.

Then apparently you have more sense than half of this thread, as most of them are still substituting their opinion for fact. ;)

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Now... aren't you better? Don't answer with 1/2 the data from the FAQ's for a cruise line. Your opinions are just that, the facts are stated above.

Lemur...you make my heart sing.......;)

It's permitted...get over it or not. I'll still be rockin' my shorts should the mood strike me.

Same here. Just don't hunch the waiters, okay? Or at least wait until that stately of all traditions, the nightly song and dance.

Same here. Just don't hunch the waiters, okay? Or at least wait until that stately of all traditions, the nightly song and dance.

Are we allowed to hunch the wait staff? Or is that only on the Lido deck?

Are we allowed to hunch the wait staff? Or is that only on the Lido deck?

Didn't you know? It's a fine dining tradition. Hunching is totally appropriate in the MDR. But only during the song-and-dance time. You're supposed to be cataloging the attire of your fellow diners the rest of the time and mentally judging them and their financial status. I'm sure it's in the brochure somewhere.

Didn't you know? It's a fine dining tradition. Hunching is totally appropriate in the MDR. But only during the song-and-dance time. You're supposed to be cataloging the attire of your fellow diners the rest of the time and mentally judging them and their financial status. I'm sure it's in the brochure somewhere.

ooh, when do we get to internet nerd rage about what other people are wearing?

Is it just me or does it appear that some people here are easily confused by facts. The Carnival dress suggestions are written in fairly plain and easy to understand standard English. It does not take an internet obtained law degree to comprehend them.

Is it just me or does it appear that some people here are easily confused by facts. The Carnival dress suggestions are written in fairly plain and easy to understand standard English. It does not take an internet obtained law degree to comprehend them.

some people take any opportunity to barf stupidity all over their keyboards whenever they can. This is the internet, after all. Normal person + anonymity + audience = complete dumbass.

I've been off this board for months, and this conversation is still going on. :D

It's on the Carnival website. On casual nights, long DRESS shorts are permitted, per Carnival's own rules. I'm thinking that means Dockers-style. So, if you have nice dress shorts that you want to wear in the main dining room on a casual night, nobody is going to kick you out because of it.

My husband and sons wore nice jeans and polos. I wore capris.

To tell you the truth, I cannot tell you what other people were wearing because I was too captivated by the delicious food on my plate to pay much attention to the dress standards of those around me. :p

Lemur...you make my heart sing.......;)

It's permitted...get over it or not. I'll still be rockin' my shorts should the mood strike me.

One of the many ironies of the situation is that the "me, me, me" people have no clue that there is a huge difference in what is "permitted" and what is "appropriate". :rolleyes: And, sadly, they probably never will.

As for the people who scream that things are "changing" and should therefore be blindly accepted, I really don't think that anyone, no matter how ignorant, would argue that change is automatically a positive thing. :)

One of the many ironies of the situation is that the "me' date=' me, me" people have no clue that there is a huge difference in what is "permitted" and what is "appropriate". :rolleyes: And, sadly, they probably never will. [/quote']

Wait ... you're accusing others of being "me, me, me" people when you're asking everyone else to dress as *YOU* would? Now *THAT* is irony.

As for the people who scream that things are "changing" and should therefore be blindly accepted, I really don't think that anyone, no matter how ignorant, would argue that change is automatically a positive thing. :)

Oh, don't strain yourself picking up pieces of your broken monocle off of the floor. I'm sure you're helper monkey will do it for you. Seriously ... ain't no one holding a gun to your head to cruise Carnival. Feel to go cruise another line if you think the dress code is so egregegiously declasse that you feel it gives you free reign to come on here an insult the board wholesale. :rolleyes:

One of the many ironies of the situation is that the "me' date=' me, me" people have no clue that there is a huge difference in what is "permitted" and what is "appropriate". :rolleyes: And, sadly, they probably never will.

As for the people who scream that things are "changing" and should therefore be blindly accepted, I really don't think that anyone, no matter how ignorant, would argue that change is automatically a positive thing. :)[/quote']

Funny. I see "me me me" people clamoring for the dress code to be "changed" back. That's some irony for you.

They did. It's called "Carnival". Why don't you heigh yourself on over to HAL so you and the other octogenarians can trade stories about all the times you yelled at kids to get off your law.

You make a lot of ignorant assumptions, considering you don't have a clue as to anything about me as a person. Unless you have access to my birth certificate, you have no idea of whether I'm an octogenarian or not, and I really can't figure out what you were attempting to say in your quaint (but hardly endearing) semi-illiteracy about kids on my "law". :confused:

And, since there's no such word as "heigh" (other than in the jingoistic context of "heigh-ho"), I'll assume you were trying to come up with the word "hie" which means to hurry away to another location.

I love Carnival, but from what I've heard from many seasoned cruisers just about no cruise line is now exempt from the strident rudeness of people such as yourself. Love ya. Mean it. :)

Archived