shorts in dining room

shelli0729

No one has mentioned the dining room staff. I think they go to a lot of trouble to make our dining experience special. Most come from cultures that tend to dress much better than most N. Americans for special occasions. I would think they appreciate our efforts to look nice at night!

I thought I had seen every possible argument, then I saw this one. Thanks for the laugh.

OP as many have already told you, the shorts will be fine.

I have read these post about what to wear in MDR for years!! My turn, on VACATION, I refuse to ask my husband to wear anything that he does not want to. We are very casual and are not big WHOOPTEEDO dresser uppers. We will and do wear whatever we want too. As long as we are clean, and our clothing is not offensive, in good taste, we will be sitting there in our tshirt and shorts in the MDR. Oh on the formal nights, I might wear something nicer. But I just don't get it, do you think that yall are the Millionaire and his wife from Gilligan's Island?

Just because you feel you are a Walmart shopper, doesn't mean all the rest of us are. It might surprise you to know that there are some educated people onboard, as well as those uneducated by schooling, but have learned good taste. Shorts are fine for casual night, but not with a tee shirt and a baseball hat, but on elegant night, it's long pants and a nice shirt.

Walmart shoppers can wear their shorts anywhere!

atank.jpg

Assuming this is a legit question, which I'm not certain it is because why would someone ask about wearing shorts on elegant night, my thoughts:

I'd say OK on the cargo/khaki shorts but not the tee (T-shirt?) on casual night. Wear a shirt with a collar.

On elegant night, at least some khaki pants.[/quote

T shirts are fine for formal nights. However, one must make sure that they are camo color and it is strongly suggested that one also wear a matching camo baseball cap! I also try to accent my formal wear with a pair of camo crocs, but that is NOT a requirement, just a suggestion. :D

I have read these post about what to wear in MDR for years!! My turn, on VACATION, I refuse to ask my husband to wear anything that he does not want to. We are very casual and are not big WHOOPTEEDO dresser uppers. We will and do wear whatever we want too. As long as we are clean, and our clothing is not offensive, in good taste, we will be sitting there in our tshirt and shorts in the MDR. Oh on the formal nights, I might wear something nicer. But I just don't get it, do you think that yall are the Millionaire and his wife from Gilligan's Island?

I have to second this post! This has been my only concern regarding our first cruise. We are very casual, but very clean people from Virginia. It is very possible to look nice and clean in a pair of khaki shorts. I know that's what my husband and son will be wearing!

I have to second this post! This has been my only concern regarding our first cruise. We are very casual, but very clean people from Virginia. It is very possible to look nice and clean in a pair of khaki shorts. I know that's what my husband and son will be wearing!

According to the other dude from Virginia you'll never get too far living like that. :p

No, no, no, please don't do that! I went through 12 years of Catholic school, and, although we only wore uniforms through the sixth grade, I'm still scarred from that experience. Dark blue pants and light blue shirt, just like inmates wear.

Sorry it gaves you nightmares - most of us come out of it without any lasting scars - though I can pick out the plaid skirt of my school from a mile away.

That said, it probably did you more good than harm. The studies have shown over and over that kids dressed in neat and nice clothing (such as kakhis and a polo) have better school performance and behavior than those that are not held to such standards and can wear jeans with holes in them.

The studies have shown over and over that kids dressed in neat and nice clothing (such as kakhis and a polo) have better behavior than those that are not held to such standards and can wear jeans with holes in them.

So are you saying that if the kids wear khakis and a polo they will behave better in the MDR on formal night:confused:

We are very casual, but very clean people from Virginia. It is very possible to look nice and clean in a pair of khaki shorts. I know that's what my husband and son will be wearing!

No one said that shorts couldn't be nice and clean. And no one said that they weren't allowed in the MDR on non-elegant evenings. The real issue is whether that is truly appropriate for the dining room - even though the dress code allows it.

Would my family wear shorts out on a Friday night here in SE VA in August, to a casual dining restaurant like Ruby Tuesdays, Red Robin etc? Sure.

I just feel that the MDR on the cruise ship, with the white table cloths, wine glasses and multiple course, more upscale meals (good luck finding escargo, cherrywood smoked duck or strawberry bisque at your local chain restaurant!) calls for at least business casual - which by traditional standards, does not include shorts. For men and boys, it means pants and a collared shirt (tucked in with a belt!) with socks, and bucks, loafers or some other casual (non-athletic) shoes- perhaps a blazer.

Sure - you can wear shorts. Do I care if you do? Heck no. Do I think it is appropriate? Nope. Therefore, my men will be in pants and a collared shirt.

So are you saying that if the kids wear khakis and a polo they will behave better in the MDR on formal night:confused:

While I have no studies to support that theory, there are many studies that show that children behave and perform better in school when they are better dressed. So would it equate in the dining room? I can't say for certain, but my guess is probably. The studies have reapeatedly shown that teaching a child to care about having an appropriate appearance makes a difference in their behavior and grades. That is one of the main reasons that many school systems have moved to uniforms - it produces results.

I think you may be a little confused about anytime dining. It doesn't mean you can dress anyway you want. You still have to follow the guidelines. You are still seated in the MDR only separate from traditional. My DH and I dressed appropriately every night for anytime dining. In fact on Elegant Night someone showed up in nice shorts and polo shirt and the maitre D' turned him away. So don't blame anytime dining for the lack of dress.

Clarification

No blame here but all indications are that Elegant Night - Reserved Early/Late Seating (Carnival) as we know it in the MDR will soon go to the land of Midnight Buffett, Pillow Fights, Beer Drinking Contests, Fruit Punch being replaced by anytime dinning (Elegant or not). Love to be lectured.

That said, it probably did you more good than harm. The studies have shown over and over that kids dressed in neat and nice clothing (such as kakhis and a polo) have better school performance and behavior than those that are not held to such standards and can wear jeans with holes in them.

Really? Wow you mean instead of the A I received on my finals I could have gotten an A+ if I would have worn a suit instead of jeans:confused:

What a crock.........

No one said that shorts couldn't be nice and clean. And no one said that they weren't allowed in the MDR on non-elegant evenings. The real issue is whether that is truly appropriate for the dining room - even though the dress code allows it.

Would my family wear shorts out on a Friday night here in SE VA in August, to a casual dining restaurant like Ruby Tuesdays, Red Robin etc? Sure.

I just feel that the MDR on the cruise ship, with the white table cloths, wine glasses and multiple course, more upscale meals (good luck finding escargo, cherrywood smoked duck or strawberry bisque at your local chain restaurant!) calls for at least business casual - which by traditional standards, does not include shorts. For men and boys, it means pants and a collared shirt (tucked in with a belt!) with socks, and bucks, loafers or some other casual (non-athletic) shoes- perhaps a blazer.

Sure - you can wear shorts. Do I care if you do? Heck no. Do I think it is appropriate? Nope. Therefore, my men will be in pants and a collared shirt.

Well it seems you are making your own rules and style for that matter.......and if it makes you and your family happy then kudos to you.......but I don't buy that it doesn't bother you what other people wear otherwise you wouldn't have posted so negativley about it;) Nor would you have mentioned you were raised better;)

Good luck controlling your family........

Archived