Ships Ordered out of Honolulu

gehrandt

I just read the following - wonder if the ship they are referring to is the PofA? I would presume that the other Hawaiian islands would be effected as well. We pray that it comes to nothing.

Ships trying to enter the port of Honolulu have been told to turn around, and any vessels now in the port are advised to leave ahead of a potential tsunami aimed at Hawaii, Chief Petty Officer Chad Saylor, a Coast Guard spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

They are clearing out the port so that emergency supplies and assistance will be able to easily get into the state if necessary.

The Coast Guard has made contact with all large vessels in the area, including a cruise ship, to let them know about the advisory.

The cruise ship was reported to have been refueling and was planning to depart before 6 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

I just read the following - wonder if the ship they are referring to is the PofA? I would presume that the other Hawaiian islands would be effected as well. We pray that it comes to nothing.

Ships trying to enter the port of Honolulu have been told to turn around, and any vessels now in the port are advised to leave ahead of a potential tsunami aimed at Hawaii, Chief Petty Officer Chad Saylor, a Coast Guard spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

They are clearing out the port so that emergency supplies and assistance will be able to easily get into the state if necessary.

The Coast Guard has made contact with all large vessels in the area, including a cruise ship, to let them know about the advisory.

The cruise ship was reported to have been refueling and was planning to depart before 6 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

Tsunami warnings and alerts have been issued at many places as the result of the 8.8 earthquake in Chile.

Pride of America's webcam shows the ship still out at sea as of 9:04 a.m. HST. It should have docked in Honolulu before 7 a.m..

Oops, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet... HST is 5 hours behind EST. So it was 7:04 HST in that pic (the timestamp is wrong). But it still should have docked by now, so they're definitely keeping it at sea.

One of my first reactions on reading that the Santiago airport is closed was wondering how this will impact the Sun passengers. I actually expected a thread on the impact on the SA cruise would have been started.

The Sun is arriving in Buenos Aires tomorrow, so for now everyone on the ship is safely in the Atlantic. Pray for those passengers who are from Chile who may have lost family and homes while vacationing.

One of my first reactions on reading that the Santiago airport is closed was wondering how this will impact the Sun passengers. I actually expected a thread on the impact on the SA cruise would have been started.

I just got this via twitter:

Important Information for @NCLFreestyle Pride of America Guests

=43678986413&p[]=330757242619"]Share

Today at 12:44pm

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PRIDE OF AMERICA GUESTS

Updated Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 11:45 am ET

Because of a tsunami warning, the Port of Honolulu has been closed. Pride of America which was scheduled to dock in Honolulu this morning will spend the day at sea until the port reopens. The safety of the ship’s passengers and crew is of the utmost importance. While at sea, this situation does not in any way compromise the safety and security of our passengers and crew.

Guests traveling to Honolulu for the ship’s next voyage scheduled to depart today should call Norwegian Cruise Line at 800-327-7030.

# # #

Fin, it looks like the Sun is off the coast of Argentina (Shiptracker website), so cruisers on the Sun might not be impacted.

On the same site, it looks like the POA is hanging out somewhere north of Molokai and Maui.

What happens to ships hanging out in the ocean if a tsunami hits? Aren't the waves projected to be over 50 feet????

I can see how it's safer than being docked at port but it still seems dangerous to me. :eek:

Katherine

The rogue wave that hit the Dawn was about half again as tall [from memory]. It should be more of a thrill ride and an experience to remember than any real danger. Of course I assume they aim the bow at the approaching wave.....

According to cnn.com, the wave could reach as high as 10-15 feet... http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/27/chile.quake.hawaii/index.html?hpt=C1

The problem with being docked is that the ship is designed to float (lucky us, eh? ;)) If it's out at see, it's (as NCL says) free to...whatever. That means it can roll with the waves. Move the ship against the dock, and you have to tie it down. Now when the wave hits, it can't roll with the waves, and is smacked by it instead. That means any one of many issues could happen, including ropes snapping (w/ debris flying), the ship pulling from the pier, or the ship tipping onto the pier. Tying it down prevents the ship from "going with the flow."

What happens to ships hanging out in the ocean if a tsunami hits? Aren't the waves projected to be over 50 feet????

I can see how it's safer than being docked at port but it still seems dangerous to me. :eek:

Katherine

The rogue wave that hit the Dawn was about half again as tall [from memory]. It should be more of a thrill ride and an experience to remember than any real danger. Of course I assume they aim the bow at the approaching wave.....

A tsunami is more of a surge than a wave. A tsunami does not grow out of the ocean like a rogue wave, it is more like river that swell along its length and flows downstream. Extreme tsunami's will look like a wall of water when approaching the shoreline but there is no droop off from the leading edge like a typical wave.

As for ships out in the water they may rise and fall with the surge but as long as they a ways away from the shoreline they will not be affected very much as it is the rising of the ocean floor towards the shoreline that causes the water level to rise significantly.

PE

According to cnn.com, the wave could reach as high as 10-15 feet... http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/27/chile.quake.hawaii/index.html?hpt=C1

The problem with being docked is that the ship is designed to float (lucky us, eh? ;)) If it's out at see, it's (as NCL says) free to...whatever. That means it can roll with the waves. Move the ship against the dock, and you have to tie it down. Now when the wave hits, it can't roll with the waves, and is smacked by it instead. That means any one of many issues could happen, including ropes snapping (w/ debris flying), the ship pulling from the pier, or the ship tipping onto the pier. Tying it down prevents the ship from "going with the flow."

The other problem with ships being in port is that when the tsunami recedes there could be a significant reduction in the sea level which could ground ships that are in port.

PE

I can't watch streaming videos on my computer; they don't play well. MSNBC is saying they are well prepared, too.

It is eerie to see the live shots. The streets are almost completely empty. There is not a sole on Waikiki Beach. But, there are surfers on the Pipeline on the north shore of Oahu.:eek:

PE

Katherine

As Planer was saying, when a ship is docked during a tsunami, the water can be pulled right out from under it and the ship will be grounded. When the wall of water comes in later, I suppose a ship could be totally swamped. If you search google for Japanese tsunamis, you'll see photos of harbors completely devoid of water. The incoming wave pulled all the water out as it grew taller while approaching. Tsunamis at sea aren't normally deadly. As the wave approaches the shoreline, the sea floor quickly rises, causing the area to be less deep. So all the water in the wave is pushed up, making it grow it massive size. This doesn't happen in the open sea, because the sea floor is deep enough to accommodate all the water energy involved in the tsunami.

First of all my heart goes out to all those have have lost their lives in this earthquake, and to their families and friends. I also feel sorry for the people that were supposed to leave on their cruises from Hawaii today. I know there are probably lots of people that have saved for years to go on their cruise and now what will happen? While they are safe and thank goodness no one is physically hurt by this cancellation, it will still be devastating emotionally and mentally for some people. This is not to take away from the horror of the people directly affected by the earthquake, just saying that I feel sorry for everyone affected in any way by this disaster. We are supposed to sail on the POA April 3rd and I know how our fellow CCers that where supposed to be leaving today must feel. Again, love and prayers to all affected in any way by yet another horrific natural disaster.

Thanks for the info-these guys have a pretty good feed also:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904&nav=menu55_1_1

That live stream is working pretty well on my computer without too much freezing! Thanks!

EDIT: I spoke too soon.

It is eerie to see the live shots. The streets are almost completely empty. There is not a sole on Waikiki Beach. But' date=' there are surfers on the Pipeline on the north shore of Oahu.:eek:[/color']

PE

I saw a video on TV a few minuites ago of two surfers on a beach! They must be crazy!

Archived