Excursions in Roatan and Costa Maya

Last wekl, we just took a cab to the town in Costa Maya/ It was called Maujurel(spelling). Very depressing. It was Ash Wednesday and we figured we might find some beautiful church. What we found was a 20x50 shed type building with resin lawn chairs and a few statues, The locals weren't sure if the priest was coming.

The beach area looked OK, It looked more like a fishing town.

A few years back, we took the Chachobeen(spelling) ruins excursion. It was interesting.

The port area is really built up now with shops and a bar.

Last time we were there, there was only the restaurant under the big straw roof.

I had hoped with the port there, the local economy would be improving. In town, they looked to be updating or installing sewers.

Majahual (The town just outside the overpriced dock area) is finally starting to get on it's feet again after the hurricane a few years ago. My grandmother lives there for 3-4 months a year (snow bird from New York) She lives about 7km past the town, with no electricity. She's been going there for over 10 years now becuase Playa del Carmen got too commercial for her.

Anywho- it can be a bit depressing, but it's also real. The ports with the stores, the overpriced jewelery, etc. are not real. They are all vendors coming down to Majahual from Cancun. The local economy is only really helped by going into the real town and making some purchases. The restaurants are fantastic, the freshest ingredients (if you order fish, they might go and catch it in front of you!) and their drinks are VERY generous on the alcohol.

It's a beautiful beach, and the people will bend over backwards to make you happy:) That's where we'll be going when we get down to visit my grandmother this year!

We were wondering if the beach excursion at Costa Maya was worth doing and any excursion suggestions for Roatan.

I wouldn't recommend a "beach excursion" at Costa Maya. Just hop in a cab to Majahual. The beach is really pretty, and you can get a really cheap massage right by the water. Here's a pic of the beach from El Delfin, where we had lunch: 2518090820105058984FsHUTJ2518090820105058984FsHUTJ?vhost=travel

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2518090820105058984FsHUTJ?vhost=travel

I recommend El Delfin for lunch, it was DELICIOUS. We had the whole fish, garlic-style, guacamole and some beers. Outstanding.

We also did the Chacchoben ruins tour with Native Choice, which we really enjoyed.

Victor Bodden in Roatan is the way to go. Excellent tour and it goes exactly where you want to.

In Costa Maya we always rent a golf cart at the port. We then drive into Majahual and we drive down the coast road for miles. Driving down the side of the highay to get to Majahual is great fun.

Before we went to Roatan, we heard about SANDFLEAS:eek: there. We changed our plans and are very glad that we did. Two days after the Roatan stop I was sitting by the pool. A woman sat down next to me; she had huge red welts all over her legs. She said she didn't realized until partway through the day, but that she had been bitten up terribly.

On that same cruise we went to the Jungle Beach Break in Costa Maya. WE LOVED IT! :D Good price, nice beach, free drinks, fairly priced food and watersports equipment rentals. We're going back there in FIVE WEEKS AND A DAY! :)

Archived