HELP: Carnival Cave Tubing Excursion?? Anyone gone?

Deemuch

Hello...

We are going on the Carnival Valor at end of March, and are considering our options for cave tubing. I see that Carnival is now offering the Cave Tubing as an excursion....it states :

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump onto your tube, feel the excitement as you float into mysterious limestone archways beckoning you into the mouth of centuries old caves, holding untold stories of Maya rituals.

• Explore the many awesome formations that decorate these amazing caves and learn about the trees and jungle that surround them.
  • Feel the rush of cool water as you meander down small rapids, letting the currents guide you.
  • Board a comfortable air-conditioned motor coach at the pier and begin your journey to the jungle playground that is “Jaguar Jungle Camp”.
  • Marvel at the diversity of the city and the expanse of the country as you travel past mangroves, savannah and small villages.
  • Fun and informative local guides will impart local information and when you turn off the highway onto a rugged country road you know you are nearing the caves!
  • At Jaguar Jungle Camp the river guides will greet you and outfit you for your river and cave adventure, a short safety briefing and it’s off to the clear cool waters of Caves branch River.
  • Just relax and lay back in your tube, listen to the sound of falling water and let your imagination take over as your guide leads you through the currents that continue to carve and shape these natural wonders.
  • Exhilarated from your adventure, you make your way out of the river and up to the “Bush-camp Café” where you can purchase a snack and drink and reflect on the marvelous expedition you have just completed with friends and family, before heading back to the pier.

Note: Recommend to take a beach towel, change of clothes. Snacks, souvenirs and mosquito repellant are available for purchase. This tour is not suitable for persons with disabilities, heart conditions, back or leg problems. All guests must be in good physical condition and able to walk on a jungle trail for approximately 35 min. Guest will be linked together when the river has a higher volume of water and when going through the caves. Helmets, lights and life jackets are provided and are mandatory. Minimum age, 8. Minimum height, 48 inches. Pregnant women are not permited on this excursion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that Carnival had an incident a few years ago where someone had died from drowing in the caves becuase it was so crowded. I am thinking that since they have decided to offer this again, that they must have changed operators...and it appears that they will have the tubers link together when necessary for safety etc...to avoid another potential situation?? I know that this was always the topic on the forums....about the difference between the private operators & the cruiselines. Maybe this has changed recently?

Also from the above description I cannot tell if this is the same cave tubing area, that the private operators go from also...or is there more than one cave entry?

So, my question is this....we would prefer an cruise excursion only becuase of no risk to getting back to the ship. I have heard great things about the private tubing companies, but I am wondering if anyone has actually done the excursion through Carnival lately...to compare whether it's just as good now...as far as the caves & the safety etc..

I dont know if the cruiseline excursion offers 2 caves like the private ones seem to offer...so just wondering what option is the best. We just want to make the best decision and we're not sure what that is...

Please advise if you have any info . We are 2 families of 4, for total of 8. 2 kids age 11, 2 kids age 14, and 4 adults.

Thank you :)

our group of 6 went cave tubing a couple of years ago

and we are going again this year, but we did not book through

Carnival... we went to Cavetubing.com and signed up. it was great

and they actually put us in the river further up than Carnival did so we

got to travel through more caves than the group from Carnival... we actually passed the Carnival group as they were getting in the river.

it was much cheaper than the Carnival excursion, and they even furnished

lunch ( not sure if that is included now or not )... they picked us up in a very nice bus and took us to the river... we did have to hike from the bus stop to the "put in " place. but it was a very interesting hike, was told about the plant life as we pass it... can't wait to do this trip again. but I have to wait until Sept.... enjoy your cruise..:)

I did an excursion with Royal Caribbean a few years ago - the Zip Line and cave tubing. When you're in the cave, you wear one of those lanterns on your head as it's completely dark inside. This means you didn't get to see much of anything. I thought it was okay, but not worth the price of admission.

We did this excursion thru Carnival when we were on the Glory, but that was before the accident so I am not sure if it is the same now. It was a bus ride thru Belize (pretty poor country) to a rainforrest, then a 30 to 45 minute hike not too strenuous to the place we put our tubes in the water, we did each carry our tube during the hike. The ride thru the cave is not crowded, I think the accident happened due to the water rushing and a person or persons got trapped against the cave wall. When we went the water was not going that fast, and I am not as heavy as my DH and friends so I had to paddle to keep up with them. It was ok, and I am glad to have had the experience with friends and family, but don't plan on doing it again. I like to try to do something different each time we re-visit a port.

We just got off the NCL Jewel on February 28, 2010 and visited Beliz for Cave tubing. We were four and the other couple was from Carnival. the water was very high when that accident happened . Most companies would not even go because of the high waters. We went with Cavetubing.bz. They are a large cavetubing business but doing it on your own you pay half the price. We were skeptical at first meeting them at the dock. There was only four of us and the ride was an hour to the canetubing area. in nice van with a gentleman who was well versed in the area. the ride was pleasent.

When we arrived and you saw the size of his business we were satisfied with the expierence. I saw how the others do it and we were glad we did what we did. We visited two caves and our ride was about almost 2 hours and well worth the beautiful expierence. Yes as with anything you have to walk to the area and you do wear lights in the caves but is was not that dark that you would be frightened about anything. We saw a lot in those caves and totally enjoyed some of the vbeautiful areas we visited. It is not dangerous, actually when you do it, it becomes difficult to understand how something like that had happened. We were e-mailed by a friend right before we left about the accident and decided to go anyway. I am glad we did.

All these countries are poor including Mexico but that does not take away from the great expierence we had. Yes! I wouild do it again.

Afterwards we went to his place and had lunch with everyoine including his family. It was so well done. Extremely Clean and the food was great along with some beers or Rum Punches. The whold expierence was absolutely great. I promissed I would write about it and that is why I am going through this for you. The cavetubing was $45 per person about have the price and you will get twice the expierence.

We just got off the NCL Jewel on February 28, 2010 and visited Beliz for Cave tubing. We were four and the other couple was from Carnival. the water was very high when that accident happened . Most companies would not even go because of the high waters. We went with Cavetubing.bz. They are a large cavetubing business but doing it on your own you pay half the price. We were skeptical at first meeting them at the dock. There was only four of us and the ride was an hour to the canetubing area. in nice van with a gentleman who was well versed in the area. the ride was pleasent.

When we arrived and you saw the size of his business we were satisfied with the expierence. I saw how the others do it and we were glad we did what we did. We visited two caves and our ride was about almost 2 hours and well worth the beautiful expierence. Yes as with anything you have to walk to the area and you do wear lights in the caves but is was not that dark that you would be frightened about anything. We saw a lot in those caves and totally enjoyed some of the vbeautiful areas we visited. It is not dangerous, actually when you do it, it becomes difficult to understand how something like that had happened. We were e-mailed by a friend right before we left about the accident and decided to go anyway. I am glad we did.

All these countries are poor including Mexico but that does not take away from the great expierence we had. Yes! I wouild do it again.

Afterwards we went to his place and had lunch with everyoine including his family. It was so well done. Extremely Clean and the food was great along with some beers or Rum Punches. The whold expierence was absolutely great. I promissed I would write about it and that is why I am going through this for you. The cavetubing was $45 per person about have the price and you will get twice the expierence.

http://cavetubing.bz/tours/reviews

We also used Vitalino with cavetubing.bz on our stop in Belize and were very satisfied.

As far as the passenger who was killed a few years ago, you should know that there have been some serious changes in procedures and the number of guests allowed per guide since then. Vitalino was very forthright about the whole episode, including showing us the exact location that the tragedy happened.

After seeing it, I can sorta understand how it could have happened, but can also say that I don't understand as well. Perhaps with a higher river level, more flow and bigger currents a person could get trapped in that dome shapped area on the curve of the cave, but I still wonder.. in the end, it happened, it was a bad deal and it sucks.

Now, there is a limit of 6-8 visitors per guide, so that each guide can better keep track of his charges and help them avoide getting into a difficult location. They have also started being more dilligent in requiring the visitors to remain attached in chains instead of floating solo, again probably to help the guides keep people safer.

In the end, your experience is going to be driven by the guide you choose, so do your homework and select a guide you get recommendations from other cruisers. This is probably the single biggest reason I would not want to do the cave tubing excursion from the ship as you can't be sure which operator you'll get. If you book independent, you know who will be leading you on this adventure.

Brad

Archived