2 yr old with Down syndrome in Camp Carnival

shassy

Oh, I was going to say...someone here mentioned emailing the special needs department. I did that, and Carnival sent me back a stock reply that was basically more detailed information about Camp Carnival. I appreciated the extra information, but it wasn't the personal reply I had been expecting.

Oh, I was going to say...someone here mentioned emailing the special needs department. I did that, and Carnival sent me back a stock reply that was basically more detailed information about Camp Carnival. I appreciated the extra information, but it wasn't the personal reply I had been expecting.

That was me - I'm surprised with the stock questionairre. I actually corresponded with a real person.

I'm not sure if it is applicable but it just may be worth a try ... contact autism on the seas too. If I'm not mistaken they have started working with all special needs kids. You don't have to take one of their group cruises as they will work individually with you.

www.autismontheseas.com

OK, just checked their site after posting and it doesn't mention Downs any longer but still worth a try ... Mike may at least have a few suggestions and he is just an email away. Great help!!!

I agree that the term "mentally retarded" is really not appropriate. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I worked with DD (Developmentally Delayed)/MH (Mentally Handicapped) children and adults. When I wrote quarterly IEPs, these were the terms we used, and this was many years ago! I also mentioned that my youngest son, who suffered a TBI, was called "retardo" by some very insensitive people when he had a drainage tube and a shaved head. He was 11 years old. Kitty9, I also remember the days of "mild, moderate, and severe"!

I'm sure you are aware that lots of people do not think there is anything shameful about being mentally retarded and I am raising my child to not be ashamed that she is mentally retarded. After a great deal of thought and consideration' date=' it is my choice to use the term so as not to imply there is anything wrong or to hide about it (and this is the choice of many, many others in the same situation). It is a term that is on her records and used by her doctors and the school district, so I have chosen to make sure she can hear it without feeling there is anything bad about it, and know that it is the people who use it as an insult who are using the term incorrectly - that she has the same capacity for happiness as anyone else.

Just because you do not agree with my choice, does not mean there is anything wrong with me.

To all my friends as Cruise Critic, I'm sorry that what was such a wonderful and positive thread was just re-routed. I look forward to more useful information about cruising with our children!

With all my best wishes,

Mia[/quote']

I must admit it threw me a little when I first read your posts. As a rather "PC" person, hearing it made me uncomfortable because it has been used as a derogatory term so much. I had to keep reminding myself it began as a medical term.

I grew up with 2 special needs sisters-one lives with me now- and I also worked for many years in an institution for spec needs persons. It's a tough thing to change people's attitudes. My kids always yell at their peers who use the R word at school-usually just meaning corny when referring to their friends.

But I understand what Mia is talking about- when I make appointments for my sister and they ask for her diagnosis I can't just say "she has special needs" - well maybe for cardiology or dermatology but the psychiatrist and social workers still refer to "mild MR" along with her psych diagnosis.

I think it's wonderful that all kids are welcomed on cruises- when I was younger we visited family or rented a beach house by ourselves because my parents didn't like people staring or asking rude questions. Times have changed.

Have a wonderful cruise with your precious one!

Kathy

"Mongoloid" also began as a medical term.

Oh, I know. And, back in the day, when we first started writing the IEP's, it was accepted. Now, absolutely no way, and thank God for that. I guess that those of us who have encountered the word in a negative manner know how it feels to be referred to that way. Like I said, it still resonates inside my head.

My son has severe speech, language, and social delays and carnival kids camp has been nothing but wonderful with him. I've been really pleased. The last cruise being able to peak in on the monitor and not only see him but see the kids interact with him was wonderful. They are fully prepared with an additional questionnaire and special labeling of their name tag, on the back side, to remind all staff ( I don't have an issue with that).

And the best part this past cruise was that we didn't have to go back to our cabins before the muster drill to get our life jackets. That is an issue because not only does he freak out wearing his he freaks out when I have mine on. So the staff have graciously let us take it off in the past or realized no one would here a thing. This year we just looked out over the water until they started got in line did their thing, no orange everywhere and no screaming.

Although this year we did have an issue with the muster station bands but not last year. So go figure. lol BTW staff will be more then happy to give you another if you have to remove it for your sanity. We haven't yet but if it gets worse next year I can see it happening.

Archived