So upset with times...

erRN2be

After reading others on these boards.....I am so discouraged. We were scheduled to be in Belize in April on the Miracle. I had it all planned out to do the cave tubing with Wet n Wild...etc...

Just figured out/found out/realized whatever you want to say that Day light savings will have kicked in during my cruise (as it takes effect April 1st) and Belizian time that we will be there will be 5:30 am to 2:30 pm... :( :( What horrible times to be in port (as if anything will be open at 5:30 am). And that return time will not be enough time to safely do the cave tubing excursion.

Big dummy me had actually paid my deposit (I thought it was only an hour difference not two), I emailed trying to get my refund back. Haven't heard yet.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as other ideas to do in Belize?

I just got back from Panama Canal Cruise and we docked at Belize at 7am and sailed at 4pm. It wouldn't matter about time zones or daylight savings you always dock at 7am. I know after the canal we had to set our clocks back 1 hour but we still docked at 7am. I don't think you have anything to worry about. As a matter of fact we docked at each country either 7am or 8am.

I didn't realize that daylight savings time was that early in April - so any cruise after April 3 will be two hours ahead of Belize? spring ahead, right? Plus, if you leave from the east coast, Belize would be central time (hour behind)? It's confusing!!

After reading others on these boards.....I am so discouraged. We were scheduled to be in Belize in April on the Miracle. I had it all planned out to do the cave tubing with Wet n Wild...etc...

Just figured out/found out/realized whatever you want to say that Day light savings will have kicked in during my cruise (as it takes effect April 1st) and Belizian time that we will be there will be 5:30 am to 2:30 pm... :( :( What horrible times to be in port (as if anything will be open at 5:30 am). And that return time will not be enough time to safely do the cave tubing excursion.

Big dummy me had actually paid my deposit (I thought it was only an hour difference not two), I emailed trying to get my refund back. Haven't heard yet.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as other ideas to do in Belize?

A cruiseline would never have those docking times. I would imagine the ship will adjust its time and dock at 7am like the other poster mentioned.

As someone else said, there is no way that you are going to be in port from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM.

I just looked at the Carnival website and it lists your times as 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. That is what time you will be in port. All times listed are local times so you do not need to adjust them at all. If you happen to switch time zones while you are on the ship, the ships time will change to accomodate the switch.

According to carnival it does not change ship time...The ship's time always stays with the time zone from which you left from,

But I am sooooo confused

ahhhhhhh

And no one can give me a straight answer

I guess I was trying to give you a straight answer.

We were on the Carnival Spirit two years ago in the Westeren Caribbean.

This cruise was rountrip from Miami with stops in Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama.

We left Miami and the ships clocks were on Eastern time. On the first sea day the clocks were turned back one hour to Central time and stayed that way through both Belize and Costa Rica because they are both Central Time. The evening between Costa Rica and Panama the clocks were moved ahead one hour back to Eastern time because Panama is in the Eastern time zone. The clocks remained on Eastern time the remainder of the cruise because our next stop of course was arrival back in Miami.

I dug out the Carnival Capers to confirm this and it clearly states when the time changes took place and that all listed port times were local times, which the ship followed.

On EVERY cruise which we have been on, arrival and departure times at ports of call have always been local time.

I have to say here that not all ships do it that way. I was on the CCL Inspiration last April and the time of the ship never changed! Same on a RCCL cruise but NCL changed their times.

To the original poster the tour operator knows what time your ship will dock and leave. I just booked Wet and Wild snorkeling with them and I was worried too. W & W sent me an e mail not to worry about it and they would make sure we make our ship on time.

Only thing you need to confirm is the time to meet them. Is it local or ship time and make sure you double check that.

Have fun most ships arrive in port at that time.

Cozumel observes daylight savings time. Belize does not. Carnival ships that originate in Central time zones tend to adjust ship time to match local time, Carnival ships that originate in Eastern times zones tend not to adjust ship time.

Carnival reps are often confused themselves. Best to try to find Capers from your ship for your itinerary. They tend to be stable.

Carnival ships that originate in Central time zones tend to adjust ship time to match local time, Carnival ships that originate in Eastern times zones tend not to adjust ship time.

This makes sense! I always cruised out of Eastern time zone. Well, so far I have.

Hi all,

We were in Cozumel and Belize on the Miracle last week. We stayed on ships time (EST) the whole week. When in Cozumel and Belize all tours through private vendors ran on local time. Not ships time. The vendors adjusted their start times accordingly. For instance, we booked cave tubing with XStreme tubing. We met at 750 local time which was 850 ships time. By the way XStreme was outstanding! I highly recommend them. The folks that went with Reggae didn't get near the tour we did.

Okay but what will happen when we move the clocks ahead for daylight saving time in April? If we depart eastern time will Belize and Cozumel now be 2 hours behind instead of just one? Thus, the reason for the poster's original question??

I have reserved the Altun Ha excursion with Belize Cruise Excursions. My confirmation says that Belize is on Mountain Time Zone when we are there (May 27th), which would make it two hours earlier than eastern time zone. We have to meet at 7:50 local time for our tour, so if the ship doesn't turn the clocks back, we will be okay. If they do turn the clocks back, we are in trouble!! I'm not going to stress about it. I'll just wait and see when I get on the ship. I'm sure someone will tell me then. I know that the excursion people make their money on passengers, so they are used to dealing with them all the time! I'm sure I'll get back on time before the ship sails!

June

Archived