San Pedro to Venice-also how is Venice at night? LA that is?

Gingee

We are looking at staying in Venice by the beach the night after the cruise. Is a taxi the cheapest way to get there? I assume there will be taxis around the terminal when we get off. Does anyone know what the charge would be for that distance? Any experience?

Also, a few reviews I have read said that Venice beach is not safe at night or rather they didn't think so. Looking at a few places such as Su Casa Venice beach. It is right on the beach.

Any experience on this?

It might be better to rent a car for a day than to take a taxi. Taxi fares would be about $50-$75 each way. Venice Beach is really a daytime activity. At night, the boardwalk street preformers are gone and most of the little stores are closed. Although not very dangerous, it still may make tourists a little uncomfortable at night.

In the other posts Fredr and I had discussion about SuperShuttle, I checked out their website in more detail and it appears that SuperShuttle does treat LA Harbor as an "airport" and may offer trips to all area locations and not just other, actual, airports.

Why don't you go to SuperShuttle.com and do a test reservation between "LA Harbor" and your location in Venice and Santa Monica and see if it takes it?

Won't comment any more about your husbands refusal to rent a car. Since you live in Peoria, do you drive in and around Chicago occasionally? The driving style and traffic isn't a lot different from LA.

BTW - you may find Santa Monica a better place to stay than Venice. There is more shopping and restaurants. I think Venice is a great place to visit (and easy to get to from Santa Monica on the Big Blue Bus), but Santa Monica is generally a nicer place to stay.

I remember I had a boss in the 90s who lived in Venice (until they moved to Marin County to start another office in 1993). She would often complain about the gangs around there. Don't know about the current situation, but it's something to think about if someone posts a confirmation that the gangs are still entrenched there.

I walked thru Venice in May and felt uncomfortable in daytime. LOts of dope smoking and not at all what I remembered when I lived there. I'm in my 50's to give you a perspective. What I did love and enjoy was Santa Monica. The Promenade and pier out to the ocean was a wonderful walking area and close enough to get the beach experience. Why not reconsider and look at Santa Monica or even Manhattan beach? Closer to the airport.

I'm 40, single and a woman. I have stayed in Venice many times alone, even in a hostel down there in the last 3 years and never feel scared. Obviously, I'm more cautious in the evening and I'm not walking the boardwalk at night, but, during the day, I'd not worry at all. If your down by Washington St/Venice Pier, you'll find plenty of places open in the evening to eat at. During the day, make sure you go to Sidewalk Cafe, get a seat on the patio and watch the show go by. There is no show on your cruise that will compare to the show you see there.

Stay in Venice. Its cheaper and has way more character than Santa Monica.

Just my $.02

You are definitely right about the price being cheaper for beach front places. Of course some people would say you get what you pay for. My daughter and her friend are college age - not little kids but then again, college age people can do dumb things. LOL Anyway, we booked a apartment for the four of us.

Gingee,

What are you really interested in seeing and doing in Southern California?

Venice Beach does have some character and characters, but Santa Monica has so much of what makes California, California. Further, with family,it is much safer in Santa Monica than Venice.

Yes, Santa Monica is more expensive, so if you are concerned with cost, look at Redondo Beach whch is a very nice, upscale city with restaurants and things to do.

Well originally we wanted to do the movie star thing but the more I read about it the more I am loosing interest.

A popular beach sounds fine to us. It sounded interesting (I hope).

I forgot to add that we are looking at a location where we don't need transportation and such. Thought we would also walk around the third street pomenade area along with the beach.

There are a few safety issues at night in Venice as others said. How you feel about it during the day depends on your views towards "Bohemian" lifestyles.

A joke that rings true- People who don't "fit" into the US move to California. Those who don't fit in California move to LA. The misfits in LA go to Venice. :) Nothing wrong with that, just providing perspective on what to expect.

Stay in Venice, walk to Santa Monica on the bike path, its a beautiful walk, stay out in the open and be aware of your surroundings. You WILL see alot of homeless people in both places, ignore them, they wont bother you, other than to maybe ask for some change.

It isnt any "more" dangerous than a majority of SoCal, its just weirder.

You arent spending a week there, just one night, it will be fine, and you will remember it forever.

Thanks for all your responses. I even asked the question to the hotel that we have booked and they even said if you are leary to stay in Santa Monica. I now have a reservation there. Not on the beach but close and the place has good safety reviews.

Gingee,

If you are staying in Santa Monica, you can easily see some of Southern California's interesting sites by public transit. Walkup to Wilshire Boulevard and take the bus (Santa Monica bus or Metro) to the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. The bus will drop youoff in front of the hotel or close to it.

Spend an hour or so walking through Beverly Hills, on Rodeo Drive.

There is a famous restaurant called Nate and Al's in Beverly Hills. This is a delicatessen/restaurant with great food and an atmosphere unlike you have seen before. It is Larry King'shome away from home. It isn't cheap but not unreasonably expensive either.

Archived