Harrison's Cave is OPEN

BarryOtt

Hi,

We were on the Caribbean Princess in Barbados on Friday, Feb 26. Four of us hired a taxi and went to the Concorde Museum (excellent) and our driver told us that Harrison's Cave was opening that day. (Even the Barbados tourist info booth in the port said it was closed.)

We went, and it was great. I strongly recommend that you cruisers put Harrison's Cave back on your travel plans...it's fully open, operational, and everything looks great.

Barry

A few notes for those who are not familiar with the caves:

1. It is WARM in the caves. Don't bother bringing warm clothing for the caves. Our guide told us that caves normally have the average air temperature of the environment. When we were at the caves (Friday 26 Feb) it was 24 degrees Celsius in the caves, which is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. You do not really walk in the cave. A tram takes you through the cave, stopping at two points to walk around. There is a nice walk (or elevator) down from the entrance/parking area to where the cave tour actually begins.

3. There is water dripping (very slowly) on you as you are in the cave. Our guide told us it made her younger.

4. At the end of the tram tour, you can walk or take the elevators up to the entrance/parking level.

5. Do not touch any of the formations in the cave. The oils from your body will damage the delicate structures.

Enjoy!

Last Year I missed this because it was closed on Tuesdays (dont know if thats still the case) This Year I am missing it again because its closed Good Friday. Just check the website BEFORE you go!!

Thanks for the info, I had thought you swam through it!!:eek:

Would you visit Harrison's Cave on your first trip to Barbados? Lots of other ports/catamaran tours/snorkeling on the rest of the cruise...but do you think the caves are the best way to spend hours of that day?

Thanks for your input

Would you visit Harrison's Cave on your first trip to Barbados? Lots of other ports/catamaran tours/snorkeling on the rest of the cruise...but do you think the caves are the best way to spend hours of that day?

Thanks for your input

In a word...YES! If that's what you'd like to see. Only you know what tickles your fancy as you read and research through these boards island after island. There is no right or wrong thing to do or place to see. IMHO, Barbados is a wonderful island. From what I've read and seen, thanks to aplmac's photo thread, you could stay on this island for days into weeks and not run out of fun and interesting things to do.

So... I ask you, Thebox...You've got 8 hours-give or take-on the island of Barbados, you lucky duck, what's it going to be! ;)

BTW, if anyone has been to the cave since the re-open I'd live to hear about it! :D

The OP has just been ....

I have not been to the new caves but the old one's were quite honestly nothing special, OK for an hour but not the highlight of a visit to the island I think.

Thanks for your input

Hi,

On this cruise (Feb 21, 2010 Caribbean Princess out of San Juan) we were on St.Thomas and sailed/snorkeled with Morningstar....planned to Kayak/Snorkel on Antigua, but due to illness, I gave our kayak/snorkel tix away. We sailed and snorkeled on St. Lucia.

Thus the Harrison's Cave and Concorde Museum on Barbados were nice changes from what we had done in other ports on this cruise.

We all liked the Harrison's Cave and Concorde Museum on Barbados, so what more can I say?

Barry

The OP has just been ....

I have not been to the new caves but the old one's were quite honestly nothing special, OK for an hour but not the highlight of a visit to the island I think.

Everyone on the cave tram ride really liked the caves. If you've been to the Postjona caves in Slovenia, then Harrison's cave is not so exciting. But I've been to both and enjoyed both.

The cave that Celebrity stops near at the Dominican Republic was also quite nice...that's a walking cave.

We are planning to take a turtle/shipwreck tour in the morning and suppose to be back to the dock by 1pm. Would we still have enough time to visit Harrison's Cave? The ship is leaving at 6pm. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We went 3/10 and it was $51 US for a couple -- no discounts. There are a few touch screens for information on the upper floor, then a short film. Elevator takes you down. You board a tram (perhaps 20 people per tram) -- step up like a van - (disabled w/c accessible if you call ahead only) and the tram takes you into the cave for approx. 40 minutes -- not touching or close to anything dangerous. Slight water drip a few times and NOT COLD. You are able to disembark the tram 2x for closer pictures if desired. Yes, 3 yr. old would love it too (similar to a Disney ride). After exiting, there are some trails for hiking (birds, etc.), along with souveniers, restaurant. An enjoyable excursion. It's about 45 minutes from the pier. Everything is brand new. Vicki:)

We went 3/10 and it was $51 US for a couple -- no discounts. There are a few touch screens for information on the upper floor, then a short film. Elevator takes you down. You board a tram (perhaps 20 people per tram) -- step up like a van - (disabled w/c accessible if you call ahead only) and the tram takes you into the cave for approx. 40 minutes -- not touching or close to anything dangerous. Slight water drip a few times and NOT COLD. You are able to disembark the tram 2x for closer pictures if desired. Yes, 3 yr. old would love it too (similar to a Disney ride). After exiting, there are some trails for hiking (birds, etc.), along with souveniers, restaurant. An enjoyable excursion. It's about 45 minutes from the pier. Everything is brand new. Vicki:)

Thank you for info.is it very dark inside ?

Archived