Windjammer's Mandalay among the missing again

Last I new, Angemeyer Cruises had purchased Windjammer's Mandalay and was reconditioning her to sail, still to be known as Mandalay, in the Galapagos. She was touted on their website in mid to late 2009, with photo. Now, she is not mentioned there at all. I loved Mandalay and so hoped she would sail again. Doesn't look good now, unless someone else bought her? I have to hope that whoever bought Legacy will put her back in passenger service. But Legacy will need a tremendous amount of TLC for that to happen (see my thread, with photos of Legacy last Jan) under this same board topic).

Julie, the Mandalay is not missing. I just read this post on jammerbabe.com/flotilla, it was posted by Liz and from Fiddi Angermeyer via John Wemyss February 27, 2010.

"At first light this morning a tsunami warning was sent out to the people of Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos.. Most of the inhabitants evacuated to the highland.

Numerous vessels were in the harbour at the time, including our Mandalay. The harbour initially drained leaving several boats aground or heeling over heavily. As the 3 foot surge came into the harbour, Mandaly broke free from her moorings, which included heavy duty chains and many mooring lines.

Fiddis nephews scrambled with small boats to reattach cnchors and moorings as she drifted towards the rocks, it appears Mandalay ran aground, as luckily the tsunami arrived at low tide. It appears that the old girl is determined to sail again, tsunami or not!

She is back in her usual place now safe and secure."

Nancy, That is good news for sure......well, not that she got bounced around, but that she is not missing. I wonder why there is no mention of her on the Angemeyer site any more. I will have to check out jammerbabe site. Thanks for the update and giving me hope she WILL sail again.

Julie

• 3 months later...

Fiddi Angermeyer just announced today that although they have been rehabing the Mandalay they have made the decision to keep the Mary Anne (built 1997) sailing in the Galapagos instead. I had so hoped to sail the Mandalay in the Galapagos in 2011, hopefully she will sail again somewhere, someday. somehow.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Nancy, here is something weird. I did a search for Fiddi Angemeyer and Mandalay and found this site that certainly seems to indicate that cruises are available on Mandalay NOW in the Galapagos! Photo certainly is as I remember her. And you can click on dates for sailings, it shows prices and indicates availability and offers way to make reservations. For a "phantom" ship, this is wild.

http://www.detourdestinations.com/products/Galapagos_Islands_on_the_S_V_Mandalay_16482.html

Julie

Archived