Sea Trek Helmet Diving

davidkentholt

My wife and I are leaving for our second cruise on Royal May 30th (COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS!!!) and we were considering doing the Sea Trek Helmet Diving excursion in Grand Cayman? Anybody done that trip? Any thoughts? Also, my wife and I are very limited swimmers. Does that matter at all with this trip? Thanks so much!

David

Our family of four, including 2 teenagers did the helmet dive in 2008 and it was a blast! It is not necessary to swim. The only anxious moment was putting the helmet on and trying to comprehend how it was going to work, however once you hit water it was a piece of cake. Have fun!

• 1 month later...
My DH and I are also thinkg about doing this excursion. I have had many ear problems and I'm wondering if there is a pressure change with the helmet on as you go down.

Unfortunately yes, I have a big problem with equalizing pressure (= lots of pain). We did helmet diving in Bermuda and I had a hard time clearing my ears. It's fun, but beware you may have problems. DH and kids had no problems. We were in water about 12' deep to give you a frame of reference. I can't stand anything much below 3'.

Unfortunately yes, I have a big problem with equalizing pressure (= lots of pain). We did helmet diving in Bermuda and I had a hard time clearing my ears. It's fun, but beware you may have problems. DH and kids had no problems. We were in water about 12' deep to give you a frame of reference. I can't stand anything much below 3'.

Oh that's not good. For flying I put wax plugs in my ears to help with the pressure I wonder if it would work with this. What are you thoughts? And thanks for you input.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh that's not good. For flying I put wax plugs in my ears to help with the pressure I wonder if it would work with this. What are you thoughts? And thanks for you input.

Late in replying, but NO. You cannot use any earplug which blocks the ear canal while diving. (Yes, helmet diving is real diving!)

The pressure of the surrounding water (or high pressure air) would force the earplug deeper into your ear canal, possibly rupturing your ear drum. :eek:

Can't equalize = Can't dive

Helmet diving comes with essentially the same risks as scuba diving. You should be in generally good health. Seek advice from your physician if you have any questions at all about how your health condition may interact with diving.

Late in replying, but NO. You cannot use any earplug which blocks the ear canal while diving. (Yes, helmet diving is real diving!)

The pressure of the surrounding water (or high pressure air) would force the earplug deeper into your ear canal, possibly rupturing your ear drum. :eek:

Can't equalize = Can't dive

Helmet diving comes with essentially the same risks as scuba diving. You should be in generally good health. Seek advice from your physician if you have any questions at all about how your health condition may interact with diving.

Thanks for the information I think I'll stick with snorkling. I would hate to spend the $$$ and then not be able to do it. It's not worth risking my hearing and pain.

Thanks again!!!

We tried this on our last cayman cruise and it was a HUGE RIP OFF! Big bucks for a few minutes with this stupid hat on that squeezes your ears tight and they hurt for days.

Save your money and go to stingray city instead. They have a place called Sotos Cruises, that have the best prices. They don't take any cattle boats, and pick you up right at the dock too.

They have photos and videos of them at the Cayman Activity Guide site. It won't let me post the links??? So Google or whatever, just be careful about this helmet dive rip off!

• 1 month later...

Archived