Chops or Portofino's?

I really enjoyed both restaurants 2 weeks ago on Mariner but if I had to choose between the two, I would say Chops offers the better bang for the buck. I had the best veal chop in years there. To save money, next cruise I'll do neither restaurant and instead opt for the Chops filet ($15 upcharge in main dining room) on a night or two.

Personal preferences differ with everyone. I love both Chop's and Portofino's and they are quite different in menu and atmosphere. Both are wonderful and both are worth the upcharge, IMHO. We plan on going to both on our upcoming Radiance cruise....:)

Karen

We have been having this same debate for our upcoming Mariner cruise. I only want to eat at one and I was leaning towards Chops but now I think I am starting to sway back the other way.

I guess I will just have to watch as other reviews/suggestions come in.

We've just returned from the Brilliance yesterday. Did Portofino and it really was fabulous! It was enhanced greatly by our waitress, Nataliya, delivering superb food in a professional yet friendly and fun manner. Well recommended!

What you need to do is figure what your son and DIL would like better. Me personally I am a steak man and loved Chops, nothing like a New York Strip and a Filet for dinner. Portofino at the same time though has great food too. You can't go wrong either way!

We love them both. I am trying to talk DH into doing both on our upcoming Mariner cruise in June. He only wants to do 1 because he loves the MDR. It will be our 27th anniversary so I think we should do both. I still have some time to talk him into it:D

We went to Portofinos on the Radiance back in Oct. 2009. We were disappointed with it- our entrees were served cold, then it took 45 minutes to have them served again. Not sure why-

Will try Chops on our next cruise on the Mariner-

Just got off the Mariner on Sunday, 2/28. We went to both Chops and Portofinos. My husband had a filet in both. While the food was okay, it certainly wasn't up to steak restaurants in San Antonio. The entrees were okay, I wasn't impressed with the seafood skewer in Portofinos and the calamari was virtually inedible! While the filet in Chops was good, the sides were weird, the onion cheese soup was practically impossible to eat as there was way too much cheese on it. Maybe we're too picky, though as we thought the MDR food was mediocre and not as good as other lines we've been on. The NCL specialty restaurants were much, much better.

Hal and Susan Widsten

Archived