review of POA Feb 20, 2010

dcass

I agree...next time you see a great price like that JUMP on it....definitely hard to come by. When I was looking the cheapest I could find from KC was ~$750. I'm using miles to book our Feb 19, 2011 cruise...which I can do on March 27 (not that I'm couting down or anthing)!

Smrtypant...I feel your pain. I had booked this cruise (Feb 20, 2010) in July 2008...and then my husband started a new job and we had to push it back to next February...I really, really want this vacation to get here!!

But, from the sounds of it...it's going to be well worth the wait.

Kristina from everything I have read and have been told it is best to pre=book your car before you go....There is a thread on here in the Hawaii Thread that tells you all abou it. I've been reading about 25 threads everyday to get all the info I need. :eek:But this site has helped me so much and everyone has been so helpful.....

We're also going on the 7/23/11 cruise. This is my 1st trip to Hawaii. Do you have to rent a car at the ports??

Kristina

Oh it's so much fun to finally "meet" someone else going on the same cruise! I will set up a new thread in the roll call area. I will answer any questions you have there, since it seems this thread is really getting off topic. If you don't know how to go to the roll call, let me know.

"The lava sail by was pretty cool, especially after seeing VNP earlier. I wish I was able to get decent pics but it was too far. "

I have been looking at the Kilauea update page and had not noticed if the lava was flowing to an ocean entry again. Is it? Or were you looking at surface flows from further distance?

I'd love a link for the pics: rgunkel @ ptd.net

We're sailing same itin. 4/24 - just myself and my daughter, 27 yo. For the lava sail-by, what side of the ship was it on? I'm hesitating about getting a rental car for the ports -- never traveled this far without the hubby. I thought I playing it safe with the ship tours. I just don't know and I'm running out of time!! Thanks for the review

Lava sailby is on the starboard or right side. I would recommend just going up to an upper deck to view the lava sailby as it didn't last that long, less than an hour. Where as the Napali coast line sailby is best seen from the port or left side and is much longer.

Mousey, Will you please post if your DS visits the teen connection? In June my family will be on the POA along with our DS 12 and DD 14. Mahalo! Mindy : )

As soon as I get back from my cruise I will post a review and list all the activities the DS participated in and liked. I can't wait to cruise!:D

We just booked on Monday night, we've been looking for the past year and the flight cost was sort of pushing us away.

I was shocked to see the prices:eek:..Tuesday I could get a flight for 545.00 and today its 700-900... So I will keep looking.

Any suggestions how to find cheaper flights...LOL

Go to TripAdvisor.com and click on "Flights." Put in the info about To and From and the dates. When your result arrive, in the list on the left side of the page, click "Get Fare Alerts," and TripAdvisor will let you know when your fare drops to a certain point. I believe you get a chance to tell them when setting it up how much you'd like to pay.

I dont really have pics of the ship, and only one or two of the cabin.

For the lava sailby, we did not see the lava enter the water. There were no active lava flows at VNP, but the fact that we saw the volcanoes and everything in depth at VNP, it made the lava sailby neat to think of what it would have looked like.

• 4 weeks later...
I have over 300 pics but I dont want to post the link on here, but if you are interested put your email address and I will email the link

Thanks for a great review. I am doing the 1st cruise of 2011 and I love reading people's reviews.

If its not too much trouble can you please email me the link to your photo's

emg2280@hotmail.com

Thanks so much

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha dcass,

Thank you so much for the informative review of your recent POA Hawaii cruise! We're about to set sail on the same cruise on May 1, 2010 and have a question for you. You mentioned that after embarkation, you got back off the ship to go get some sodas to bring back on the ship. I was just wondering if you believe that you could have packed some sodas in your bags originally to avoid having to get back off the ship? You see, we actually live here on Oahu and are having some friends of ours drop us off at the cruise terminal that day for embarkation and don't want to have to get back off the ship (we'll have our 2 young children with us). So, do you think we could just pack our sodas in our bags or carry ons when we embark without issue?

I did read earlier that NCL is not that concerned about luggage weight, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated!

Mahalo,

AlohaMommy

Archived