Formal Nights Alaskan Cruise - 1st Time on Princess

Maverick6969

My wife and I are are on a 2 week cruisetour to Alaska (land portion first). We're in anytime dining on the ship (Coral Princess) and cruising after the land tour.

We are still trying to decide if we want to attend the 2 formal nights because of the extra clothes that we will have to pack.

I have read a lot on pros and cons and we would never go to the MDR in casual clothes on formal nights. I also realize we have many other options for eating those nights.

I have 2 questions -

1) - What would you estimate the percent is for passengers dressing for formal nights verses those that don't for Alaskan cruises?

2) If we choose specialty resturant dining on those nights - is formal dress required in those?

Thanks for your responses.

I have 2 questions -

1) - What would you estimate the percent is for passengers dressing for formal nights verses those that don't for Alaskan cruises?

I am sure there were people not dressed for formal night, but I never saw any. I did notice that most of the women wore their dressier formal outfits the first formal night, many wore pants with fancy tops the second formal night.

2) If we choose specialty resturant dining on those nights - is formal dress required in those?

Yes.

Thanks for your responses.

Only about 20% of the persons were really formal, in Alaska last September, however all the ladies were very smart, and, as far as I could see, all gentlemen wore shirts and ties in the MDM.

john

On all my cruises, I have dressed up for formal night, but love wearing nice pants and a special top more then dresses. But, I am also thinking of not doing formal night on my next Alaskan cruise(this summer) because of having to pay for extra luggage on the airplane. Last year we did not have to fly and brought along a ton of stuff, but flying puts a different spin on things. If We do not do formal night, we will eat in the Buffett or have pizza instead. It's a hard decision though.

We were on the Coral in 2008. We were on the Arctic Explorer cruisetour. As it is cooler during the day people don't feel the need to "change for dinner". On the casual nights pax wore jeans or slacks and shirts. on the formal nights I don't remember any tuxes, although one man wore a lovely kilt/uniform. A couple ladies wore long dresses, but most wore knee-length dresses or dressy pant outfits. I packed 2 dresses, so I wore them and my husband took a dark suit. I don't know if it is the cooler weather or the environment, but it seemed like a more casual and quiet cruise. We had a great time. The scenery was fantastic. We are very glad we sprang for the Arctic trip- I loved the Brooks Range and going all the way north on the Dalton Highway.;)

You will find that participation in formal nights will vary from cruise to cruise. From observation I would estimate that on Princess about 25 to 35% of the men wear tuxes about 60% will be in suits and the rest will be in sport jackets or blazers. IMO the luggage cost is a bit of red herring...what is an other $50 when one is spending thousands on a cruise.

Having said that...in most instances you can get away with smart casual in Princess's specialty restaurants on formal nights.

On the Sapphire last Sept I saw more passengers in formal attire than casual. When I cruise again in May I will pack lighter, a pair of black pants & a few different tops, & a suit with a couple shirts for my husband. Just pack light & do laundry.

I agree that you can find ways to dress for formal nights that require less intensive packing. And also, don't forget that you will not need the array of stylish daytime clothes on this cruise. Most of the excursions require outdoor gear, and the onboard style tends also to be more casual and comfortable than I have seen on other cruises.

It's actually kind of fun to dress up after a day in jeans and windbreakers!

Have fun, I wish I were going back this year!

Archived