Reisling

MrsZee

Yes, from the dining room wine menu that's on the bookccl website, there are 3 options available:

Piesporter, Michelsberg Spatelese, Kreusch Germany (light fruity style with crisp, refreshing aftertaste) for $22

Reisling, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Valley (crisp fragrant bouquet with juicy flavors of peach and melon) for $27

Reisling, Selbach-Oster, Kabinett, Mosel Germany (bright floral note with appealing fresh fruit characteristics typical of classical Mosel Reisling) for $29

Not sure how up to date these prices are - but they'll give you a ballpark figure.

Yes, from the dining room wine menu that's on the bookccl website, there are 3 options available:

Piesporter, Michelsberg Spatelese, Kreusch Germany (light fruity style with crisp, refreshing aftertaste) for $22

Reisling, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Valley (crisp fragrant bouquet with juicy flavors of peach and melon) for $27

Reisling, Selbach-Oster, Kabinett, Mosel Germany (bright floral note with appealing fresh fruit characteristics typical of classical Mosel Reisling) for $29

Not sure how up to date these prices are - but they'll give you a ballpark figure.

i prefer reisling myself. i order a few bottles of the chateau ste. michelle and really enjoy it. it is under whit wine in the wine cellar selections in gift service. $32 a bottle. happy sipping.

My fav. You can always bring it. :)

http://www.blackboxwines.com/the-wine/riesling/

You know, I could. But, I wanted one I could have in the dining room and can't stand paying the fee for a wine I brought. I think that is stupid. And yes, it is the principal of the thing, because the wine purchased in the dining room is more expensive that my 10 dollar bottle of wine and their 10 dollar fee. So, I bring champagne to have in the room because I really only like wine at dinner.

Originally Posted by bumbles

You think they will include a bottle or two in the wine package? I don't really have a brand preference.

You know, I could. But, I wanted one I could have in the dining room and can't stand paying the fee for a wine I brought.

Why don't you open it in your room, replace the cork, then take it to dinner to enjoy? Or find one with a screw top so it's easier to open. No corkage if it's already opened.

Why don't you open it in your room, replace the cork, then take it to dinner to enjoy? Or find one with a screw top so it's easier to open. No corkage if it's already opened.

Are you sure that is true? Corkage fees are not usually for the effort of opening the bottle, it is for the privlege of not having to purchase a bottle during dinner.

The Columbia Valley Riesling listed above is pretty good. Visited them last year. The others I am not familiar with. As I would expect, they are all overpriced.

My favorite is Chateau Ste. Michelle. This is what I drink at home also so I love that Carnival carries it. I've never been charged a corkage fee for bringing my own wine to dinner. I guess it depends on your waiter? Or maybe that I bring the same wine that they offer?

We thought we could get away with it if it were open, but when we got there our Waiter told us there would be a fee. And he looked really worried that he might get in trouble if he didn't charge us for it. So, we recorked it and put it aside and bought a couple glasses of something else. Paying a corkage fee defeats the purpose of getting to take a cheaper bottle.

I called the Bon Voyage Dept and they said that Reisling is not offered in the packages and you can not substitute. But, she said that a "Spumante (sp?)" is offered and it is comparable to Reisling. Can any of you vouch for that?

I called the Bon Voyage Dept and they said that Reisling is not offered in the packages and you can not substitute. But, she said that a "Spumante (sp?)" is offered and it is comparable to Reisling. Can any of you vouch for that?

The only Spumante I've had is more like a champange than a Reisling.

DW and I too like the Chateau Ste. Michelle and use it for our bottles of wine to carry on. We usually drink it on the balcony after dinner.

Spumante is a sparkling Italian white wine made from the Moscato Bianco grape.

Riesling is a German white wine made from the Riesling grape.

The two have nothing in common.

German sparkling wines are commonly called Sekt. Sekt is similar to Spumante, not Riesling.

We are going to try a Vouvray Chenin Blanc (something that is on the list) with dinner tonight and see if it is something I like. I enjoy trying new wines, especially if I am stuck with just one that I like, then I will be out of luck most of the time.

Since we're on the subject, can I ask a wine question?? All I drink are white wine spritzers, which I usually have made with pinot grigio. I don't like chardonnay. Is Reisling sweet like pinot (or even sweeter)? It sounds like something I'd like to try.

Since we're on the subject, can I ask a wine question?? All I drink are white wine spritzers, which I usually have made with pinot grigio. I don't like chardonnay. Is Reisling sweet like pinot (or even sweeter)? It sounds like something I'd like to try.

Riesling grapes produce excellent white wine and are cold-hardy compared to pinot noir or chardonnay grapes. This hardiness is the reason the grape is so common in German vineyards.

Germany is a beer drinking culture, not so much a wine drinking culture like Italy or France. Because of this the wines produced in Germany are small in volume by comparison but of a high quality and hence more expensive than a typical French or Italian table wine. Please do not misunderstand what I am saying, France and Italy produce some of the highest quality wines in the world. They also produce copious amounts of common table wine, good quality everyday drinking wine. These nations are wine drinking nations, table wine is a must.

You will pay more for a good bottle of Riesling than you will for a good pinot grigio or chardonnay. Mixing it with sparkling water would probably make a fine spritzer but I doubt a better one that using a more common quality wine from Italy, France, California or many other places. I guess what I am trying to say is that using a German Riesling for a spritzer would be over-paying without a better result.

You can buy a good Riesling for less than $10/bottle so if you want to give it a try, go for it.

Agreed, and if you can find the "blue bottle" Reisling, I believe it is the best. And you have a very pretty blue bottle after you are done. :) My grandmother made a "bottle tree" in her back yard and I furnished her the bottles with my Reisling habit. lol

I have had this reisling several times, it is my DW's favorite. My first time was on my honeymoon in Disney World, and I want to say I paid $42 for the bottle. I get it at a local store for about $22, so even at $35 it is worth getting it on the ship. You don't get charged the corkage fee, and you don't have to worry about it breaking in your luggage.

Archived