Carnival Valor Dive Excursions

rum bar

In Cozumel they use SANDDOLLAR SPORTS. I have used them a couple of times. Once on RCI and twice soon to be three times in nine days. Can't wait. I know some people don't like using the ship tour, but I have never had a bad experience with them. When I have used them, small groups, safety stops, SI back at their resort, so really can't complain.

In Roatan they use Anthony's Key resort. Nice dive operation and pretty much the same as SANDDOLLAR. again the group I dove with was about 6 people and again safety stop, SI back at the resort. It was alot of fun. I would recommend both to you.

Haven't gone diving in Belize or GC. Never been on Princess. If you have any questions please ask. I check these boards regularily. Hope this helps.

Carnival uses Anthony's Key in Roatan but I didn't dive through them, so I have no feedback.

Princess uses Dive Friends Bonaire in Bonaire (obviously), they were a good operation, very environmentally conscious. They sent a videographer on the dives with us as well and you can view clips of the video online before you have to commit to purchasing it. The shop is very close to the pier and they took us over to it on a boat from right next to where we docked.

Laura

Oh yea that reminds me, SANDDOLLAR did the same thing. Video was $60,I believe. Nice video. I got it to show my wife what Diving is like in Cozumel. She is not a diver. She now understands why I like it so much.

In Roatan what I found to be amazing was the GROUPERS. There are so many of them there. Also alot of turtles. Even saw eagle rays in Roatan.

Visibility was a little murky though. Not bad but not as clear as COZUMEL.

Cozumel has the current around it so it is clear all the time. Beautiful. Amazing

092306- Thanks for the report. Is Sand Dollar at the Wyndam? If I remember right the Wyndam should be pretty close to the Palancar reef spots.

Laura- Glad to hear about Dive Friends as they were on my list along with Buddy Dive and Capt Don.

I also found out that Carnival uses Hugh Parkey Dive Connection in Belize. That leaves Grand Cayman.....

RUM,

I want to say yes to your question, but I am not 100% sure. I will say that once we get the gear it was like a 10 minute ride and we hit the water. I don't know when you need the answer by, but if you can wait till MARCH 22 when we get back, I'll let you know.

Yes, I would love to hear a report from your trip. BTW, I read with amusement your exchange with bruce-r on another thread regarding cruise ship operators. As a newby I didn't mind being 'herded' by the DM and appreciated that he kept checking our air levels and pointing out things that we may have missed (tiny seahorses!).

Happy Sailing!

I am not arguing that it is good idea to listen to a more experienced diver. It is just sometimes people say how HORRIBLE ship tour dives are, and with SAND DOLLAR, I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPEREINCE. Actually I have found it harder to dive with independent operators. every time I try to book them, the only times they have available is in the afternoon and well, the ship leaves in the afternoon. Other problem I have is if I don't bring my gear, due to flying and baggage fees, the cost of the dive and rental cost more then the ship tour operator fee. I don't know. I understand every dive is different, but like I said, I have yet to have a bad experience with them.

Hello! We did the Legend last April, and we are doing the Glory this March, both with the exact same ports.

Grand Cayman - We caught a cab to Sunset House. Dive 3 1 hour dives for around $40 total. Best dives of the trip, saw a bunch of fish, turtles, rays, and even got a great close up picture of the Atlantis sub with the mermaid statue. We have been to GC 3 times, and did Don Foster once, and another independent operator the second time. We did not particularly like either of these dive shops, so the third time we almost didn't dive. But the shore dive was great and cheap! Doing the same spot (Sunset) in March of this year.

Belize - I really was looking forward to this location, but was a little bummed out. The water clarity wasn't up to par during our dive, and I didn't get to see a lot of aquatic life. Although any day is awesome diving in the Carib, I don't feel like we got as much for the cost - around $170 each. This year, we aren't diving Belize out of the of 3 spots.

Cozumel - I have been here several times, and used Sand Dollar most times. Good time, great clarity, decent operator. Set dive time, so they don't let you dive your computer (but most don't). This year we are trying Scuba with Alison after reading all of the great reviews on this site and others.

Roatan - last year we booked these dives thru Carnival with Anthony's Key, and we really enjoyed it. However, on this cruise Carnival is not offering this shore excursion??? Looking at booking thru Bananarama, but I'm not happy with this. We called AK and tried to book thru them, but they said that they had a contract that they couldn't book us??! Last year, we had an awesome dive master that was very observant and helped me find some weird creatures (decorator crabs!)

Dive all ports if you can!

I am not arguing that it is good idea to listen to a more experienced diver. It is just sometimes people say how HORRIBLE ship tour dives are, and with SAND DOLLAR, I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPEREINCE. Actually I have found it harder to dive with independent operators. every time I try to book them, the only times they have available is in the afternoon and well, the ship leaves in the afternoon. Other problem I have is if I don't bring my gear, due to flying and baggage fees, the cost of the dive and rental cost more then the ship tour operator fee. I don't know. I understand every dive is different, but like I said, I have yet to have a bad experience with them.

I never said they were a bad operator. If they were, they wouldn't be working for the cruise line very long. I think the ship's dive excursion is a good choice for the people who are the target audience for it.

Roatan - last year we booked these dives thru Carnival with Anthony's Key, and we really enjoyed it. However, on this cruise Carnival is not offering this shore excursion??? Looking at booking thru Bananarama, but I'm not happy with this. We called AK and tried to book thru them, but they said that they had a contract that they couldn't book us??! Last year, we had an awesome dive master that was very observant and helped me find some weird creatures (decorator crabs!)

Dive all ports if you can!

Hopefully this won't get removed as an unsolicited recommendation, but I just got back from Roatan at the beginning of February off the Carnival Valor. Myself and my buddy booked through Subway Watersports and I can't say enough about how great they were to work with. They picked us up right outside of Mahogany Bay, the new Carnival port and dropped us off back inside so we didn't have to mess around with cabs and extra transportation fees. They do small groups and our DM Rick was very hands-off and let us dive our own profiles. Fresh fruit was served on the surface interval. One of my best diving experiences while cruising!

Laura

Bruce,

I never said that you said sand dollar is bad. I understand what you meant that other independents are better by letting you dive the profile you want, not having the cattle boat feel and such. I understand you and it was not said as a shot at you. Just sometimes on these boards Sand dollar gets ripped apart by some for a bad experience or whatever, and FOR SOME CRAZY reason I feel the nned to defend them is all. Like I said I am not arguing, just explaining my dumb reason. I know you are a more experienced diver and I have tried some of the operators you have mentioned. They are all booked for the day or some have afternoon dives. So that doesn't work. I book through Carnival again, and am hoping it wil be another great expereince.

Thanks for all the input. On the Subway Dive website (Roatan) I saw what looks like a cruise ship PIER. I thought we were tendering in Roatan. Actually, I thought we were tendering in all the ports except Cozumel. One of the reasons we were going to book cruise dives is our unfamiliarity with 3 of the ports; we have only previously been to Cozumel where we stayed at a dive resort. The other reasons are cost and convenience. Really glad to hear good feedback regarding Hugh Parkey (Belize), Anthony Key (Roatan) and Dive Friends (Bonaire-different cruise). Still researching GC and Cozumel.

Jam, did you need a guide when shore diving at Sunset House? Can you dive the wall from shore?

Archived