Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

Well, yes. Maybe a pianist or something in the MDR would be better, but the dances they do are just silly and kind of annoying, tbh. Most of them look embarrassed to be doing it. Who can blame them when they come out waving napkins over their head?

I guess it just a matter of preferences. When I'm on vacation I like to have a fun atmosphere, even in the dining room. I'm one of the first to start waving my napkin right along with them. A pianist or piped in classical music would drive me away. Everyone has different opinions and taste, it is what makes life interesting.

I didnt vote because I'm torn... We do like the singing/dancing waitstaff and most times actually join them....BUT.... I do not like that they have to stop what they are doing (most times waiting to serve desert) and start the show...

Usually my coffee is cold by the time the show is over and the desert is served... So, my vote would be to drop it down to maybe 2 times during the week at most...

I think it's one of the things "fun" about a Carnival funship. For me, a cruise is a diversion from the everyday stresses of life and I enjoy a little silliness. If I wanted a snobbish, sedate cruise - I would pick a different cruise line.

My daughter commented that she enjoyed getting to see our waiters have a good time after watching them work so hard. I enjoy the conga line and the other dances better than the singing, though. I probably wouldn't miss that.

As for demeaning - I guess I think that's in the eye of the beholder. Watching the dancers in the production show wearing thong outfits and mooning the audience - to me, that's more demeaning to watch so I skip it.

I voted no. My son just had a great time dancing with them on two differant nights, and has before on other cruises. I myself received some extra attention last Sept from an asst waiter, (arranged by friends:rolleyes:) and it was silly and fun. I agree, no other cruise line does it, but then Carnival is the fun ship.

I voted "no", but would only have it one night. Honestly, I believe that many of the wait staff enjoy it, specially the ones who hop up on the "tables" and really get down. Most of them just sort of swing their hips, but I don't get the feeling it bothers them or they feel demeaned.

I wouldn't have it on formal night, or whatever it's called now (I'm an old dog), and maybe have that sad last night song, but one night when they get to let loose, sure! Let em dance!

Shay

I voted yes.... not because I think it's demeaning to the staff... (why would it be demeaning???)

:rolleyes:

Because it's annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree it's annoying ... as to whether or not it's demeaning depends on whether or not it's a requirement of the job or something a waitor or waitress can opt out of. I'd hate to think someone is performing against their will (especially when I think it's rather stupid and declasse), but then again, there are other places to work that don't require it. I don't find it entertaining in the least, but rather tedious and if I wanted to think a little more analytically about it, bordering on pathologically offensive.

I also think that as long as the dulcette tones of Buster Poindexter are heard in the dining room, the MDR is neither elegant nor formal.

They aren't if they havent been served yet. :p:rolleyes:

Excellant point. Why should I have to leave the MDR before I am thru eating to avoid the singing and dancing on the tables. Some people just do not think things thru before they post a response.doh.gif

I agree it's annoying ... as to whether or not it's demeaning depends on whether or not it's a requirement of the job or something a waitor or waitress can opt out of. I'd hate to think someone is performing against their will (especially when I think it's rather stupid and declasse), but then again, there are other places to work that don't require it. I don't find it entertaining in the least, but rather tedious and if I wanted to think a little more analytically about it, bordering on pathologically offensive.

I also think that as long as the dulcette tones of Buster Poindexter are heard in the dining room, the MDR is neither elegant nor formal.

You mean you are tired of hearing HOT HOT HOT... ???

perhaps we should post some videos of the NY DOLLS?? lol

They aren't if they havent been served yet. :p:rolleyes:

Excellant point. Why should I have to leave the MDR before I am thru eating to avoid the singing and dancing on the tables. Some people just do not think things thru before they post a response.doh.gif

lmao.... Some just do not think about others... it's their world their little box:D

I really enjoy it. My first cruise had entertainment every night. My 2nd cruise only had the singing/dancing 2 nights and I missed it!! It really made the evenings fun! I am on vacation and enjoy every minute...

You mean you are tired of hearing HOT HOT HOT... ???

perhaps we should post some videos of the NY DOLLS?? lol

Yeah, right?

My dislike of "Hot, Hot, Hot!" stems from the fact that this is the same guy who sang "House of the Rising Sun", arguably one of the best rock-n-roll songs ever.

That, and how do you ask people to get dressed up when you're going to running a congo line through the dining room to a novelty song? Maybe it's just me, but a fine dining experience doesn't include watching a 30-something cougar bump-and-grind on the waitstaff while wearing a prom gown that fits her like a sausage casing. **shudders**

ROFL this is another absolutely split down the middle subject.

I voted yes get rid of them.

I find it distracting, humiliating for some of the waiters, and I hate rushing through the meal for it, or if you have a slow waitstaff, you have to sit through the whole thing if you want desert or Cappuccino.

Maybe they could do dancing at the early dinner and leave it off on the late one. Then people can just choose which they want.

Cheers, Carole

ROFL this is another absolutely split down the middle subject.

I voted yes get rid of them.

I find it distracting, humiliating for some of the waiters, and I hate rushing through the meal for it, or if you have a slow waitstaff, you have to sit through the whole thing if you want desert or Cappuccino.

Maybe they could do dancing at the early dinner and leave it off on the late one. Then people can just choose which they want.

Cheers, Carole

I can assure you that the dancing has driven me right into the embrace of Your Time Dining. That, and my all-encompassing gambling habit.

Yeah, right?

Maybe it's just me, but a fine dining experience doesn't include watching a 30-something cougar bump-and-grind on the waitstaff while wearing a prom gown that fits her like a sausage casing. **shudders**

Whoops! Sorry, I had a lot of Fun Ship Specials that cruise and didn't realize you were in the audience that evening. ;)

Yeah, right?

My dislike of "Hot, Hot, Hot!" stems from the fact that this is the same guy who sang "House of the Rising Sun", arguably one of the best rock-n-roll songs ever.

That, and how do you ask people to get dressed up when you're going to running a congo line through the dining room to a novelty song? Maybe it's just me, but a fine dining experience doesn't include watching a 30-something cougar bump-and-grind on the waitstaff while wearing a prom gown that fits her like a sausage casing. **shudders**

Or a grown man wearing a tuxedo from his son's bar mitzvah... said son is also there with wife and children...:p

House of the Rising Sun, the Animals?? David Johansson covered this??

I can assure you that the dancing has driven me right into the embrace of Your Time Dining. That, and my all-encompassing gambling habit.

We did Your Time Dinning... and timed it perfectly to see the performance.. :rolleyes: lol

I hope everyone that finds it distracting and disturbing to their formal dining atmosphere and all that are also the people that still adhere to the resort casual dress code and still wear suits or tuxedos on Elegant Night. You can't really have a double standard of "formal dining experience" and yet walk in there in your jean shorts and cut-off T-shirt. :rolleyes: The MDR is a dining experience, implying that it isn't just a "sit down, eat, and get the heck out the way" restaurant. Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted entertainment and all I ever saw was big smiles and enthusiasm, horsing around is a great break from the grind of serving food constantly. Disney has that Artist dining room where the colors and music changes and all the wait staff has to change clothes like 5 times during the meal, but thats ambiance guys. Good grief... :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Actually that sounds like the perfect reason to keep the dancing...You can always politely say you are laughing "with" them if you have to... ;)

House of the Rising Sun, the Animals?? David Johansson covered this??

No. For some reason I have Eric Burdon and David Johansen confused today. I'm blaming it on the fact that I actually did some work earlier this morning which has made me even stupider than I already was. ;)

Archived