My Med/Greek Isles Cruise Itinirary - Any Advice?

jbone07

I posted this in the other med board, but I thought I would also post here for feedback on the Greek Ports.

My wife and I are heading on a med/greek isles cruise April 17th. Here is what we are planning in each port. Please add your comments on the ports you have experience with

Kusadasi - Taking a private tour with Hello Ephesus (I know they are new) to Ephesus, Terrace Houses and Virgin Mary House plus lunch with no rug demo!

Dubrovnik - Walking the walls and cruising around the old town

Santorini - Going up to Oia and Fira on our own to explore and enjoy lunch and a drink with the wonderful scenery

Corfu - Renting a car and driving around the island stopping at will.

We are pretty DIY travelers and are only doing a tour in Ephesus is there is a ton of history that I would like to take in while we are there. Please poke hols and/or add personal experiences that will help make each port as good as possible.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason:

We've done this itinerary (well, except for Dubrovnik) twice, and will again, with our (11 and 12 year old) kids this August.

Europe/Med cruises are very port-intensive--many long days, hot sun, lots to do and see, so pace yourelves accordingly. You'll know best., in terms of pace, sleep required, et cetera.

Hello Ephesus is not new--they have been around for a while--what I know (or think I know) is that their partners split, and one went on to start up another tour operator. You should be in good hands with Helloephesus. Ephesus is spectacular--one of our favourite port stops of all time. Fantastic ruins and sites of great historical/religious significance (as in, St. Paul's Letters to the Ephesians). It's also a rather exotic, but not scarily so, destination. Nice people, we found. It can be hot, though. Surprisingly good ice cream (ice cream and gelato form an integral part of my travels!). Interesting markets/shopping, but it takes nerves of steel--bargain like crazy and always be willing to walk!

Santorini--You know those great calendar-type photos of Greece, with the white-washed builings, churches with the blue domes, and all that impossibly blue water and sky? Well--those pictues, in all liklihood, were taken on Santorini. It is a terrifically beautiful place. Oia is great--so picturesque--great place to wander--try to have a bite on one of the terrace restuarants overlooking the caldera. Fira is great, but only pales because it's compared with Oia. Buses, taxis, or car rental works well here--the island is that small.

Corfu--Interesting--a bit different--not your classic sun-drenched Greek Isle--more north--more green, less parched--big (historical) British influence (remember, Prince Philip is Greek). We did exactly what you are planning--rented a car, and ran around. Take care, though--the island is bigger than it seems, and distances here are greater, with a lot of up-and-down hills and cliffs and mountains.

Have a great time!

Kevin

Archived