Whitewater Rafting Physical Demands

eyelovcrusin

We have booked a whitewater rafting Class II-III trip in Costa Rica. My wife recently injured her knee and the doctor is concerned about her doing this. For anyone who has been rafting, can you elaborate on the physical demands of doing such and stress on knees. Thanks.

There may be more experienced rafters out there who know more about what they are doing than I do but I just went whitewater rafting about 3 weeks ago in Costa Rica. I think we did class I-II. I hate to say this because it was such a great time and would recommend it to anyone but it might be tough on a bad knee. We were in an 8 person raft and they have you up on the highest part of the raft on the side of the rafts so you can paddle and you keep yourself in the raft by wedging your feet under the seat in the middle or if you are up front there is a place to anchor one foot and you wedge the other. So once you start bouncing when going through the rapids it is your legs that keep you in the raft and I can see where it would be very hard on knees. And since we only did class I-II I would imagine it would be a lot more strenuous.

Archived