LGA to JFK and back

tcocktail

I finally made reservations from New York to BCN. Swiss Air had a sale yesterday morning, no I am sorry it wasn't a sale according to Swiss Air they had some seats tagged for a lower price. For just a fews hours yesterday.

So now I need to get from JFK. I thought about flying Air Tran to LGA and taking the Shuttle or taxi to JFk. However my concern is that on the return, the Swiss Air flight arrives at 2pm on a Monday 28 June. The Airtran flight leaves at 6:59 an hour earlier then there current schedule. AirTran states they will except bags 30 minutes prior to departure but that LGA requires an hour and a half prior to boarding. How long could it take to get through immigration? Do I have enough time to transfer to LGA from JFK?

I wanted to Fly airtran because the airport from which they fly is only 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks

Immigration clearing times is a far from certain thing, especially busy airports (JFK) and certain terminals, like T4 where Swiss operate from.

To give some idea there is one flight I take every few months, and have done for the last seven years and immigration times have varied between 0 minutes and almost an hour. Immigration times can vary for one of many reasons including:

-The time your flight arrived

-The time other flights around it arrived. (For example has the flight with 300 Ethiopians onboard landed early and just before you?)

-The number of INS staff manning immigration....

etc. etc.

5hrs should be enough to get around any SNAFUs but based on your notes about flying AirTran and your profile I assume you're looking to fly into Newport News/Williamsburg airport. Why not fly Delta and you can go into and out of Norfolk instead? Not as convenient, but more convenient than getting stuck for some reason in NYC.

To state the obvious, but it IS important ..

You have 5 hours if and only if your plane lands on time. At least 20% of the time, it will be late.. sometimes very late.

Archived