San Pedro or Long Beach?

kudy

I am hoping to shuttle to a hotel near the pier, to stay the night before. I am also hoping to use Priceline "name your own price" to book a cheaper price. My question is, am I safe assuming that almost all hotels in the Long Beach area will offer free shuttle to the pier? Or is it hit or miss?

If there's not a guarantee that we will have a free shuttle to the pier, I will have to opt for the alternate option, staying at an airport hotel, and paying for shuttle to the pier the next day - but we'd really rather stay in long beach.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Don't assume. Call the hotel and ask. We are also looking for a hotel, but in the Long Beach area. We were told that San Pedro is not a real safe area to be in and that there isn't much to do. We have checked into the Long Beach area and haven't found much in our price range. There are only a couple of hotels that will shuttle you from the Long Beach airport to the hotel, but none that will take you to San Pedro without a charge. We checked into shuttle service and found that Prime Time will give you the best rate. I think for a couple it was $32. each way, which we didn't think was to bad. This was from the LB airport and back.

BTW: If you find a good hotel, pleas let me know.

San Pedro is a very safe area, especially downtown. It's served by both LAPD and the Port of Los Angeles Police Department, and it has a private security patrol provided by the business improvement district.

As for there not being much to do, well, that's just not right. The downtown area, which is very near the cruise terminal, has several very good restaurants--Whale & Ale for British food, Neil's for pasta and seafood, Mishi's Strudel Bakery and Cafe for ... well, you get the idea. Depending on when one is there, the Warner Grand and Grand Annex offer live theater. There are wonderful shops of all types.

A good guide to the area can be found at http://www.sanpedro.com.

Both of the highest quality hotels, the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree, offer free shuttles to the cruise terminal.

I am hoping to shuttle to a hotel near the pier, to stay the night before. I am also hoping to use Priceline "name your own price" to book a cheaper price. My question is, am I safe assuming that almost all hotels in the Long Beach area will offer free shuttle to the pier? Or is it hit or miss?

If there's not a guarantee that we will have a free shuttle to the pier, I will have to opt for the alternate option, staying at an airport hotel, and paying for shuttle to the pier the next day - but we'd really rather stay in long beach.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Many of the Mariner cruisers (also Princess, NCL) stay at either the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree. I've heard if you use 3-1/2 and San Pedro, those would be the two hotels you can get. You might want to look for the info Bruin Steve has posted about SP and LB hotels here on western destinations.

Usually when someone is coming in more than for one day pre-cruise, the locals here will give other suggestions other than SP. But for one day (actually less since you'll probably not be getting in first thing), SP should be fine. I certainly wouldn't recommend the airport area for staying unless you have an early flight the next morning.

I would not assume that Long Beach hotels would provide a free shuttle to the pier in San Pedro. They might to the Long Beach pier, but San Pedro is another 6 or more miles away.

Many post good things about the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza. San Pedro has really cleaned up in the last 15 years or so--as property prices have skyrocketed on Palos Verde Peninsula, young professionals have been buying in San Pedro.

Thanks everyone for the responses - It looks like I'll keep increasing my bids on the 3.5 stars in San Pedro and book one of the two available hotels eventually :)

Many people on my role call have the Doubletree booked already, but I am being silly and trying to save money by bidding.

Are there any corner stores/gas stations within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree, to buy soda?

Thanks everyone for the responses - It looks like I'll keep increasing my bids on the 3.5 stars in San Pedro and book one of the two available hotels eventually :)

Many people on my role call have the Doubletree booked already, but I am being silly and trying to save money by bidding.

Are there any corner stores/gas stations within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree, to buy soda?

Kudy, you might want to do what we did. We wanted to bid on Priceline and did try, but bid up to $105 with no luck for a 3.5 in San Pedro. So I went to the CP and booked a room that was cancellable, and kept trying on Priceline. Still no luck. So when we got to 15 days before our cruise we called back the hotel, and changed our reservation to an advance purchase one and saved $15 over what the regular price was. In the end we paid $144 which we figured wasn't that bad.

You might have better luck with Priceline because we were looking for March 13 which is March Break, so perhaps availablilty was down. However, with that said, I'm sure that precruise they sell out anyway each Saturday night.

Good luck with PL and your hotel search. This is the first time we've been unsuccessful with them.

In the end we paid $144 which we figured wasn't that bad.

Thanks for the advice - I might end up doing that, since I am having no luck with cheaper priceline bids so far... I am considering the other option now though, and I was hoping for some input.

Since we aren't getting into LAX until 8:30 at night, is it reasonable to just get an airport area hotel on priceline, take their free shuttle from the airport, stay the night in the airport area, and then take a shuttle to the pier the next morning? It seems everyone recommends staying in San Pedro, but since we won't have time to eat dinner or walk around the area, it might not even make a difference? I might end up just going for the doubletree, but would love to keep the costs down.

Since we aren't getting into LAX until 8:30 at night, is it reasonable to just get an airport area hotel on priceline, take their free shuttle from the airport, stay the night in the airport area, and then take a shuttle to the pier the next morning? It seems everyone recommends staying in San Pedro, but since we won't have time to eat dinner or walk around the area, it might not even make a difference? I might end up just going for the doubletree, but would love to keep the costs down.

If your flight isn't landing until 830 PM then you need to pick up baggage and take a shuttle to San Pedro, you probably won't be at the hotel until 10 PM. I think I would just stay at somewhere near the airport and take a shuttle service the next morning to the pier. If you can get a cheap rate, try staying at one of the Embassy Suites--the breakfasts have lots of selection and made to order omelets or eggs.

Thanks for the advice Patricia - the nice breakfast would be a bonus, but given that we are headed to a cruise ship, I won't worry *too* much about it :)

Would I likely be safe in bidding on a 3-star hotel in the LAX area on priceline? They all look somewhat decent, but I don't know if there is a chance I'll get one that doesn't have free airport pickup? Sometimes I both love and hate the logistics of getting to our cruise!

I ended up getting a 3.5 star in the LAX zone with a bid of $45, 'name-your-own-price' - the reviews are VERY mixed on the hotel, but it's a lot cheaper than the San Pedro area, with a free airport shuttle, and I'll only be there about 12 hours.

Personally, I would have booked a shuttle to take me from the airport straight to a San Pedro hotel. At 10pm, there really isn't that much traffic and then you can sleep in the next morning. If you pick the right hotel, you'll get a free shuttle to the port in the late morning. If you stay at an airport hotel, you'll have to pay for a shuttle to the port anyway, and it'll take longer.

If you pick the right hotel, you'll get a free shuttle to the port in the late morning. If you stay at an airport hotel, you'll have to pay for a shuttle to the port anyway, and it'll take longer

I know that we'll have to pay for a shuttle one way or another, but I am only staying at the hotel of 12 hours, and got the airport hotel for less than half of what I was bidding on San Pedro hotels, with no luck. Traffic might be worse, but we'll get to sleep earlier (after a day of traveling).

Archived