TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

Why does anyone bother with the added space taken and weight with taking hangers when your cabin attendant will bring all you need. Never had a problem with just asking as soon as we meet him/her.

I admit I bring one or two padded hangers for sweaters, tucked in along the back side of my suitcase. I've also been in the situation where I couldn't get more hangers from the steward.

I discovered a great tip for storing sweaters, and the padded hangers are perfect storage:

Fold a sweater in half, lengthwise, with the front on the outside.

Gather up the half fold and drape the sweater front on one side of the hangar and the sleeves on the other. The sweater is now draped over the hanger. It saves shelf space, won't stretch out, and won't wrinkle.

My lifesaver is Downey wrinkle releaser....spray and hang before sailaway...closet smells fresh and no wrinkles when I'm ready to dress.

Also, flushable wipes (cottenelle). I get Walmart brand and it's so much nicer on our tushies...

Any flushable wipe is is not compatible with a Ships flushing system! that is why there is a sign do not flush Anything other than the TP provided. At some point this could cause a major back up, We had a flood in our suite cabin a few years ago, it is not nice to wake up to, our Suite never completely dried out (carpet) for the rest of the Cruise. Flushable at home is not the same Onboard!

Any flushable wipe is is not compatible with a Ships flushing system! that is why there is a sign do not flush Anything other than the TP provided. At some point this could cause a major back up, We had a flood in our suite cabin a few years ago, it is not nice to wake up to, our Suite never completely dried out (carpet) for the rest of the Cruise. Flushable at home is not the same Onboard!

Thank you! I really did not know that. Will have to reconsider. Thanks again!

Between us we have many prescription meds and insulin etc. When we travel we normally just take small baggies with the days meds in them - one for each day - usually tossed in DH's carry on. If we are NOT flying, will anyone hassle us if meds are not in the original containers? The bottles would probably fill more than a full gallon ziplock bag - this would not be condisive to efficient packing. Do they check when boarding the boat in the same way that they would going through security at the airport or is it a little more informal?

Things we neglected to bring and then wanted/needed:

- OTC meds like tummy medicine (Pepto), Rolaids, and cold medicine

(the gift shop is expensive! and not always open, esp. when in port)

- BAR SOAP (showers only have liquid soap) and hair conditioner

(*humidity made my hair go wild.. none on the ship, and we could not - find any in the ports)

- Flashlight (in case of power outage)

- Air freshener for bathrooms (no windows in there!)

- Magnets or Magnetic CLIPS to put on cabin walls-- they can hold

receipts, Dailies of activities, maps, necklaces, notes, etc.

- Sun screen (expensive on ship!)

- Water bottle or travel coffee mug (to fill up on ship, then take to ports)

- Extra memory cards for your camera... so if camera lost/stolen, you

wont lose all your pictures (I used one disk per port).

-

• 2 weeks later...

A few other things I take-- and then LEAVE before I go home:

- I wear some old tee shirt and clothes traveling to the ship, and use those as my "sleeping outfit" during trip. End of cruise, I dump them.

- A few cheap wire hangers.... just to have, love having them, so useful. Leave them behind at end of trip.

- Some of my old undies... throw them out when done!

- A couple of those 99cent cloth reuable Grocery store bags... they are great for use as beach bags, shopping bags, something to hold dirty clothes, etc. Don't take up much room or weight, easy to leave behind.

- We sometimes bring travel guides for our destinations (from used book store), then leave them behind in the ship's library for others to use in the future.

-- And BEST item I've brought on several cruises: the MAGNETIC CLIPS frm office supply store- hold receipts, important papers, list of ships activities, leave notes for my family, etc.-- plus I can hang necklaces on them, etc. (all the walls of the cabin are metal).

On a side note, do most of you pack your cameras and camcorders in your checked in luggage, or do carry it on with you on the plane?

I always carry my camera, cell phone charger, and other electronics in my carry on. I do this on the airplane as well. The cruise ship looks for electronics as they present a potential fire hazard. If they are in your checked baggage then there is a good chance it will be searched. My GF's was searched on our previous cruise due to a cell phone charger. It didn't arrive at our room until after 9pm. My suitcase was there by about 2.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by atomictaco

I would suggest carrying on your camera and any other electronics on the plane with you. There is just too much of a chance of them being "lost" or broken in checked bags.

Another tip I learned from the boards - always cross pack your suitcases. Have some of your things and some of your traveling companions clothes in each checked bag. That way, if one bag goes missing, you won't be totally without things. This is especially important for us, as my DH is an ex offensive line football player, and he just can't walk into any store and find clothes!

Between us we have many prescription meds and insulin etc. When we travel we normally just take small baggies with the days meds in them - one for each day - usually tossed in DH's carry on. If we are NOT flying, will anyone hassle us if meds are not in the original containers? The bottles would probably fill more than a full gallon ziplock bag - this would not be condisive to efficient packing. Do they check when boarding the boat in the same way that they would going through security at the airport or is it a little more informal?

Take more than you need - people on the Carnival ship were talking about running out of important medications after the engine fire delayed their return.

In more than 10 years of cruising various p0rts in the world and traveling others parts of the world, sometimes extended stays of several weeks in both Europe and Australia when doing land travels, we've never notified our credit card company. We've never had a problem with them putting a hold on our account because of a charge from another country.

My husband went to Canada once for business and the credit card company called to verify this. He went again last month and they did not call. Our credit card company will call if there are any unusual charges. I really appreciate this. Last year someone tried to buy a computer in another city using our number. Thank goodness the company called to verify. So, a five minute call to let them know where you will be is an excellent idea.

Oh good grief!!!! Maybe it's because of my rapidly advancing age, but my reachion would be to give the kid a hug!

It's not like the kid added more liquid to the hot tub!

My kids loved bubbles and that is a great way for them to pass the time. I think the bubbles need to be used only on shore. If kids above you were blowing bubbles that landed on you all week, I don't think you would still want to hug them!

My husband went to Canada once for business and the credit card company called to verify this. He went again last month and they did not call. Our credit card company will call if there are any unusual charges. I really appreciate this. Last year someone tried to buy a computer in another city using our number. Thank goodness the company called to verify. So, a five minute call to let them know where you will be is an excellent idea.

Especially since the 1-800 number to call the credit card company likely only works in the US and Canada, so if you card gets locked, your only options are calling collect or trying to figure out how to pay for a long distance call without being able to use a credit card to pay for it. This happened to my Dad before at a resort.

Kids medicine (tylenol cold and flu, benedryl, polysporin, bandaids)

Extra contacts (a box)

Tweezers

Power bar (outlets)

Beach/excursion bag for towels, toys and cameras

Cross body purse/bag for any city tour.. Great for maps, bottle of water camera and keeps your hands free

Lip Balm with sunscreen

:)

A couple of things I wish I'd done in my past cruises:

When I drove into the parking lot at Port of New York, I presented the attendant with my Discover card to pay for the week of parking. They don't accept Discover. I was lucky I'd left some money in my checking account and was able to use my debit card. Next time I'll bring a Visa or MC.

Years ago, I flew to Port Canaveral from NY but my original flight had delays and we had to get on a different flight which got us to the port right before the ship sailed. My luggage never made it so I was forced to wear my husband's clothing until we got to Nassau where it had been flown. I spent the first couple of days on the cruise in tears. My lesson: cross pack as another poster suggested. At least I would have had something to wear.

A couple of things I wish I'd done in my past cruises:

When I drove into the parking lot at Port of New York, I presented the attendant with my Discover card to pay for the week of parking. They don't accept Discover. I was lucky I'd left some money in my checking account and was able to use my debit card. Next time I'll bring a Visa or MC.

Years ago, I flew to Port Canaveral from NY but my original flight had delays and we had to get on a different flight which got us to the port right before the ship sailed. My luggage never made it so I was forced to wear my husband's clothing until we got to Nassau where it had been flown. I spent the first couple of days on the cruise in tears. My lesson: cross pack as another poster suggested. At least I would have had something to wear.

Even at home I alway keep two CCs in my wallet. You never know if one isn't going to be accepted or if the system is down on one company.

I always have a spare set of clothing on my hand baggage. Be prepared, as the great Tom Lehrer said.

Don't forget that you have to fill out those Health Certificates before you board. I always make sure I have more than one pen with me for that so we can quickly get those completed.

Have your paperwork and passports all organized and ready for the person who checks you in. I always have our boarding pass out and ready and our passports out and open to the correct pages. Have your credit card ready for them as well. It will make your check in a little easier and quicker.

• 2 months later...
Lots of singles ($1 bills) to tip room service staff, bartenders, pool servers, etc.

Bring along a positive attitude that you're going to have a great time and odds are that you will!

Usually gratuities are automatically added to drink orders and daily for room service and dining aboard ships. Always good to have dollars or euros on hand for bellboys or service people at hotels pre or post cruise, taxis and porters at ports.:rolleyes:

...And right on for the patience, good nature, sense of humor and practical life experiences, especially if on a difficult cruise like Concordia, Splendor, Triumph or other challenging cruise moments. Photos for insurance claims can be really handy when things go awry, but don't count on the ship's staff or crew to always do the right thing.

On an Alaskan cruise helping one another was the motto for the group of attorney's aboard, which helped us get drinks for a few days and a full refund of ship's fare. Sure, the sharks are needed, even on vacation - turning an offer of $50 discount to a full refund.:cool: Where's a lawyer when you need one? On vacation in Alaska, that's where they were: 100+ to make things better in a trying situation.