TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

Between us we have many prescription meds and insulin etc. When we travel we normally just take small baggies with the days meds in them - one for each day - usually tossed in DH's carry on. If we are NOT flying, will anyone hassle us if meds are not in the original containers? The bottles would probably fill more than a full gallon ziplock bag - this would not be condisive to efficient packing. Do they check when boarding the boat in the same way that they would going through security at the airport or is it a little more informal?

I am bumping this up because never saw an answer and I am interested in that too...we get 90 day supplies of prescriptions so the bottles are huge and take up a lot of room. I have the weeklong containers and would love to just fill them instead.. but have always taken all bottles on our cruises. I really don't remember if they checked that stuff thoroughly.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

I am bumping this up because never saw an answer and I am interested in that too...we get 90 day supplies of prescriptions so the bottles are huge and take up a lot of room. I have the weeklong containers and would love to just fill them instead.. but have always taken all bottles on our cruises. I really don't remember if they checked that stuff thoroughly.

I usually just put all my pills into one of those weekly pill holders and have never had a problem with any cruise I've gone on. I've also never had a problem pulling that out at the airport when I fly. I do, however, put the weekly pill case in a TSA approved plastic bag.

Harriet

I usually just put all my pills into one of those weekly pill holders and have never had a problem with any cruise I've gone on. I've also never had a problem pulling that out at the airport when I fly. I do, however, put the weekly pill case in a TSA approved plastic bag.

Harriet

Thank you! That will free up some room!

As a pharmacist who works in a hospital, I would like to suggest that if you decide to use the pillboxes, make and print out a list of all your medications. If you can put a description on the list to help identify which is which, that is even better. (white round pill, blue oval, etc) Also remember that all controlled substances and narcotics need to be in the original container.

If all of your scripts are from one pharmacy, they may be able to print a list out for you. I would take one for sure, especially if you put your meds in a weekly box. Better to be safe than sorry. You might want to consider bringing them in your carry on bag too. If you put them in your check bag anything could happen. Have a great trip!!

First cruise I neglected to bring enough regular clothes. I had enough dressy stuff for dinners and swimsuits for the day (things that aren't really part of my everyday wardrobe) that I didn't have enough tops or t'shirts...shorts etc. I ended up having to do laundry by mid-week. Everyone always talks about OVER packing...well I definitely UNDER packed.

If all of your scripts are from one pharmacy, they may be able to print a list out for you. I would take one for sure, especially if you put your meds in a weekly box. Better to be safe than sorry. You might want to consider bringing them in your carry on bag too. If you put them in your check bag anything could happen. Have a great trip!!

What I did was ask the pharmacy to make me some small bottles with my lables on them so I could take what I needed in smaller bottles....that way there is no issue.

Before we leave, we scan copies of our passports, lists of all our medications/doses, phone nos. for our Drs. and Pharmacy, and the 1-800 phone numbers for our credit card(s) to report theft, etc.-- in to our computers. Then if something happens during the trip, we can get to a computer, and have access to medication doses/names, where/how to report a stolen credit card, etc. I also take photos of our suitcase(s), so if they are stolen, I have a photo to be able to describe it to airline personnel, etc.

Other than that, here's what I take, that at one time or another I forgot:

- A small roll of black electrical tape - handy to repair broken luggage handles and all kinds of things

- Ziploc baggies.... to hold souvenirs that might leak, shells from the beach, wet bathing suits, photos, etc.

- Hair conditioner (ship did not have any on one cruise, and my hair frizzed badly from the humidity!! Couldn't find any in port either!)

- Bar soap, if that is what you prefer (ships usually have only LIQUID soap in the showers)

- A few extra HANGERS.....I handwash a blouse or two during trip, nice to be able to hang them up to dry in the shower.

- Air freshener... sometimes the toilets back up, and you will be glad you have this!

- Small flashlight-- in case of power outage on the ship, or for getting up in the middle of the night, etc.

- More than one Memory Disc/card for your camera.. switch the disks out, so that if the camera is stolen in a port, you won't lose all your photos!

- Highlighter pens.. to highlight activities/info in the "Dailies"

- List of emergency phone numbers for our sons, relatives, neighbors

and addresses of people I want to send post cards to

- Some Rolaids, Pepto Bismol, bandaids, allergy pills, etc. When you are in port, the shops on ship are usually CLOSED. Nice to have your own small supply in case you need it. (take travel sizes of above)

- Aloe Vera gel! (a travel size)--- great for itching, rashes, burns, sunburn, a great thing to have!

- Sunscreen - you can buy this on board, but much more expensive!

- At the Container Store, we found a small clock that had suction cups, so sticks to the wall-- also glowed in the dark. Great for waking up in middle of the night, you can see what time it is from across the room!

- Sticky Notes-- so you can leave your mate/friend/kids messages like "Gone to the Pool"

- Magnetic metal office clips. These are so handy! The walls of the cabin are metal. Stick these to the wall and they can hold receipts, Dailies, necklaces, jewelry, brochures, tickets, etc.

- How important are your eyeglasses to you? If you are Blind as a Bat without them, bring an extra pair, just in case!

- And YES--- Bring a Great ATTITUDE, SPIRIT of ADVENTURE, and PATIENCE... think of it as not just a trip but an adventure...

:rolleyes:

Birth control.

We have 3 cruise souvenirs at our house ages 19, 17 an 17

LOL lmbo while hubby is smacking my back while I choke on my ice tea...:D

A dry erase board- for your stateroom door-Awesome to use if you are traveling with a large group, or to leave messages for staff.

Bandaids-- useful for so many things-not just cuts...:)

I forgot my dirt cheap generic bottle of Bonine! Luckily the hotel in Vancouver was near a pharmacy that also sold generic (he also offered me the patch since they do is it require an Rx in Canada). The inside passage was silky smooth but I wasn't taking a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

Benedryl just in case you get bitten by something or get a rash or reaction to the pool or hot tub chemicals, etc. BOTH have happened to us!

Also, over the counter cold medicine. Got a REALLY bad sunburn once & I got a fever & chills. Took some Tussin, slept it off & was fine the next day!

Both are available on board, but cost a fortune!!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

I bring a photocopy of the back of my credit cards when traveling internationally and keep this list separate from where I have my credit cards. If my cards were to be lost/stolen, this gives me the contact numbers (toll-free in US or collect calls outside US) to notify the companies. I have also been known to email this information to myself (on an account easily accessed abroad) as a back-up.

I bring a photocopy of the back of my credit cards when traveling internationally and keep this list separate from where I have my credit cards. If my cards were to be lost/stolen, this gives me the contact numbers (toll-free in US or collect calls outside US) to notify the companies. I have also been known to email this information to myself (on an account easily accessed abroad) as a back-up.

I do the same. There is also a program, I know they have it for the iPhone, that you can photocopy passports, license, credit cards etc, into your phone. Front and back of the cards. This was so helpful on our cruise. The program is called lemon wallet.

• 3 weeks later...
My belt buckle will work in a pinch and if she is sleeping so will my wife's false teeth :)

Spewing coffee on my monitor!

Yeah, no more steel car bumpers at sea or on land:D Hit the kitchen magnet department at your first port. You will have a new souvenir bottle opener for $3-$4 ;)

I left a small pile of clothes at home last cruise - Never missed them, almost to the point of doing a 7-Day cruise with a carry-on.

I do now sail with hi-liter pens, and a few shoe bags - hang them in the closet, no clutter on vanity's or or junk drawers.

I am 65, hence the car bumper. Shoe bags = CRS I can spend an hour looking for my shoes on my feet!

I do two things:

1) when I have my prescriptions filled, I ask the pharmacist to use the smallest bottle possible, or to use one larger bottle and one smaller bottle. Then I have a set of smaller bottles I can use for travelling.

2) I also asked the pharmacist to print duplicate labels for each of my prescriptions (the labels that go on the bottles). I put them on little tiny bags (2" x 2" that I get from a craft or dollar store). These really save space and have legitimate labelling on them.

I put the set of bottles in my carry on and the small set in plastic bags in my check in (I always carry double sets of pills and extras).

camera

extra batteries/charger

small bills for tipping luggage porter, cabbies, room service

book to read

air freshner for the bathroom

laynard to put room card on (for kids)

good walking shoes

suntan lotion

sunglasses

binocculars

Great ideas!!! The list of cruises...are they cruises you have gone on? There are alot! Don't you work?:)

I am new to cruising. Will be taking a 1 day cruise to Nowhere on the Norwegian Gem 11/15/13 then going aboard the Princess Jade to Grand Cayman and Cozumel May 26. I am a sleep apnea patient and use a CPAP machine. Does anyone know if there are plugs right beside the bed on most cruises? Also are there hairdryers in the rooms? And is it true the showers are so small you can't bend over?