Miracle - Category 8I Guarantee or Assigned?

Zeke3

I thought we were all set in a category 8C for our August Cruise for four of us. As we watched the snow fall today, DH took an interest in the planning and wants to upgrade to category 8I for the $120 price difference. He likes the idea of being only a flight of stairs away from the Lido deck (he plans to spend most daylight hours on the Lido and Sun decks). I'm wondering if I should book guarantee or an assigned cabin. At that category level, we are only one level away from a 9A or two levels away from a suite. Would our chance for an upgrade be about the same whether we booked guarantee or assigned? I'm sure DH wouldn't mind giving up a one flight of stairs walk to the Lido deck for a suite. I'm so new to this all and love the information available on this board!

Zeke, we just returned from the Legend and had an 8I. To try and answer some of your questions:

Booked an 8I and received and 8I. Book what category you will be happy with and if you get and upgrade be happy, if not you have a cabin you initially wanted.

The extended balcony is great - more room to stretch out and relax on than a regular balcony. Our steward brought us down one lounger from the Lido deck and it fit well out there along with the other 2 chairs.

Was nice only being one deck from the Lido for early morning coffee run or late night pizza run. We were on the empress deck (deck 6) last year though and it was not that much longer to get up to the Lido from there as we were near the elevators.

I don't feel the motion of the ship as much up high as I do down low so I liked the 8I for that as this cruise was pretty rocky.

Guess it boils down to the $240 extra and if it is worth it to you to be up higher as cabins are the same. Either way, you are cruising and will love it. Happy planning and Happy cruising.

StevenCindy-

Thank you for your response! You addressed one of my concerns - the motion of the ship that high up. I am afraid of getting sea sick and everything I have read indicates motion is less, lower on the ship. This is our first cruise since our honeymoon 17 years ago (also Carnival) and I became seasick on that cruise as soon as we left port. I easily managed it with the pills provided at the purser's desk. However, I am now 17 years older and afraid aging might make it worse - yikes!

I'm happy with any balcony level room and it is only $120 more for the room to upgrade to 8I, not per person. I think I'll go ahead and book an acutal room and not guarantee since DH likes the idea of being that high up. Did you book an actual room in 8I or guarantee? Thank you again! I feel better about being up that high. I'll book a room towards the middle.

Zeke, we booked an actual room - 8272 which was aft balcony room. If it is available try and book 8232, 8234 or 8239 - these are 8I room near the aft that have really big balconies.

I am not sure if the motion hold true for everyone or just me. I found the most motion in the 2 lounges and the dining room.

Archived