Something to Consider about Cayman

grizgator

I think all new cruisers should be warned about booking a cruise in the winter months that includes Grand Cayman. I have been there about 5 or 6 times (winter, spring, and summer) on cruises. It's a nice enough island, although a bit expensive. However, unless the weather is very good, there are limited things to do.

If you like Duty Free shopping, you're fine. If you want to visit the turtle farm and Hell, you're fine. This is good for the first trip. However, the real beauty of the island is its beaches and water (snorkeling, diving, Stingray City). Be warned that if you travel in the winter (and perhaps other times of the year?), there is a good possibility that the the Cayman government will "close" the water due to winds. That means no snorkeling, no visits to Stingray city, etc. This also means that a beach excursion will not be very enjoyable.

We just got back from a 7 day cruise that included Grand Cayman. For the second year in a row, the water was "closed" due to winds. My family missed out on Stingray City and Snorkeling for the second year in a row. I understand that it is no one's fault and that the weather is no controllable.

HOWEVER, if you really want to see the stingrays and snorkel in Cayman....or for that matter, enjoy a day at the beach, you should STRONGLY CONSIDER booking your cruise that includes Cayman in the late spring, summer, or early fall, when the likelihood of high winds are less. Otherwise, unless you like to spend the whole day shopping or visiting Hell, you'll be very disappointed in your stop at Grand Cayman.

I wonder just how many days per year the water is "closed"? I imagine it's a dirty little secret that neither the government nor the cruise lines wish to disclose. Anyone else have this problem.

At any rate, I'll probably never visit the Caymans again. We're over it.

I wonder just how many days per year the water is "closed"? I imagine it's a dirty little secret that neither the government nor the cruise lines wish to disclose. Anyone else have this problem.

No dirty little secret. Statistics are not kept. It just hasn't been happening for very long.

It has only been in the last two years that the Royal Cayman Islands Police have acted to "close" the Stingray Sandbar. Prior to that it was entirely up to each individual tour operator to make a decision.

It was quite an uproar the first time the police closed the Sandbar. Tours operators sharply challenged whether the RCIPS actually had the legal authority to do so. IIRC some of that was addressed with the implementation of the new Wildlife Interaction Zone regulations.

What is known is that ships are able to tender passengers to shore more than 95% of the time. That is the minimum standard that cruise lines expect in order to routinely schedule a port. Of those days, it is quite possible that Stingray Sandbar may be too rough and be closed even though ships are coming in.

Finally, Grand Cayman is a relatively small island. If the water is rough on one shore it should be calm on the opposite shore. It is an extremely rare dare that you cannot snorkel or enjoy a beach somewhere on Grand Cayman.

I think all new cruisers should be warned about booking a cruise in the winter months that includes Grand Cayman. I have been there about 5 or 6 times (winter, spring, and summer) on cruises. It's a nice enough island, although a bit expensive. However, unless the weather is very good, there are limited things to do.

If you like Duty Free shopping, you're fine. If you want to visit the turtle farm and Hell, you're fine. This is good for the first trip. However, the real beauty of the island is its beaches and water (snorkeling, diving, Stingray City). Be warned that if you travel in the winter (and perhaps other times of the year?), there is a good possibility that the the Cayman government will "close" the water due to winds. That means no snorkeling, no visits to Stingray city, etc. This also means that a beach excursion will not be very enjoyable.

We just got back from a 7 day cruise that included Grand Cayman. For the second year in a row, the water was "closed" due to winds. My family missed out on Stingray City and Snorkeling for the second year in a row. I understand that it is no one's fault and that the weather is no controllable.

HOWEVER, if you really want to see the stingrays and snorkel in Cayman....or for that matter, enjoy a day at the beach, you should STRONGLY CONSIDER booking your cruise that includes Cayman in the late spring, summer, or early fall, when the likelihood of high winds are less. Otherwise, unless you like to spend the whole day shopping or visiting Hell, you'll be very disappointed in your stop at Grand Cayman.

At any rate, I'll probably never visit the Caymans again. We're over it.

Thanks for the tip. Are there a lot of vendors for Stingray excursion on the docks? We might want to wing it upon arrival so our hopes are not too high for a booked tour if it is cancelled.

Thanks for the tip. Are there a lot of vendors for Stingray excursion on the docks? We might want to wing it upon arrival so our hopes are not too high for a booked tour if it is cancelled.

If you book with a company such as Nativways, you will only be charged of your ship makes it to port. So you may be disappointed if you don't make it, you won't be out any money. I personally would rather have a nice day booked in advance than hope I find a decent tour operator once onshore.

My sister did a ship excursion that she enjoyed. They may be more corwded than a local guide, but still worth it overall. I really loved our most recent tour with Nativways. There were probably less than a dozen of us on the tour- a much smaller number than a ship tour.

Yes, there are lots of vendors right at the tender drop-off area. We've booked two Stingray City excursions through two different vendors. Paid about $35 per person for trip to Stingray City and snorkling area. Both private vendors were very helpful regarding the stingrays and snorkling. My old BF called me "chicken of the sea" and for a very good reason, but if I had just another 20 minutes with our first guide (I thnk her name was Hiroku) I'd have been a pro. These people know and love their island.

We sailed Freedom of the Seas and were supposed to dock in Georgetown on February 26. We knew the weather was pretty choppy outside. We immediately started getting conflicting intercom announcements that were stating a lot of the excursions were cancelled. We found out that the ship had docked in Spotts Bay for tendering because Georgetown docking area was under 10' + waves.

The tender was really really choppy. Most excursions were cancelled. The Sting Rays were closed.

Yes, there are lots of vendors right at the tender drop-off area. We've booked two Stingray City excursions through two different vendors. Paid about $35 per person for trip to Stingray City and snorkling area. Both private vendors were very helpful regarding the stingrays and snorkling. My old BF called me "chicken of the sea" and for a very good reason, but if I had just another 20 minutes with our first guide (I thnk her name was Hiroku) I'd have been a pro. These people know and love their island.

Thank you Sandy for all your help. Glad to know you had a good time!!

We were forced to tender at Spotts last week and our Stingray City excursion was canceled. We did see the Turtle Farm and Hell which were nice but not great.

Since we were on Carnival Liberty we only had 3 port days, so to lose one day of snorkeling/beach was kind of a bummer.

I would definitely advise people to keep this in midn.

Archived