Just Returned from Grand Cayman

cruiseveteran

We just returned from the Grand Cayman Island aboard the Coral Princess. Be prepared to see a lot of hurricane damage, television did not do justice to what hurricane Ivan did to the island.

We went snorkeling/stringray city with Captain Marvin's. We only had 40 people aboard our boat. Many of the ship's tour operators came out with boats filled to capacity of over 100 or more passengers, they looked like cattle cars afloat. Both the snorkeling and stringray city were great. The water was only about four and half feet deep at stringray city and the waves nothing at all.

Our guide said that this was the first day that they had good weather in about a month and a half.

There were 5 large ships in port, RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Carnival Conquest, Carnvial Valor, and the Coral Princess. Now imagine about 12,000 people trying to shop in the few stores on front street...what a mess. Thank goodness that the port authority had the brains to stagger the departure times of the ships so the tender dock was not a push and shove situation.

Hope everyone enjoys their cruises!

When we come to Grand Cayman in March there will be seven boats in port! When you have so many boats in port how is the tendering to shore in the morning? I am wondering about timing if you book a local tour rather than a ship tour.

Most ships will give priority for tendering to people who have booked their tours, however, some will give passes to those who have something booked on their own (with proof, I suppose). In my experience, tendering really doesn't take that much time after the initial rush of people who feel they need to be the first off the ship. I just don't go to the tender for the first hour.......I use that time to leisurely eat breakfast and get ready. By the time I get to the tender, no wait! :) It will be a different story getting back to the ship in Grand Cayman. Usually a very long line in the sun! Just grab a water or drink and a good attitude before getting in the line back to the ship. It may take a while, but the tenders carry a lot of people so it looks worse than it really is.

Archived