Is late October too late?

joey73

We did a Med cruise that included Greek islands the last 11 days of November 2009. Our weather was perfect - in the 70's every day except the last day. However, the crew said the cruise before us had some rain and horrible thunderstorms in Santorini.

We did a West bound Transatlantic on Emerald Princess in Oct 2008. The embarkation point was Venice and the ship overnighted in Venice for the first day of cruise.

We arrived Venice 3 days earlier pre-cruise.

It did not rain, and weather was OK - overcast most of the time but not cold.

However on the day of embarkation and the next day, weather changed for worse - shower and very gray, and very chilly.

Then on our sailing day the weather turned again, this time to the better. In fact it was the BEST day weather-wise for the 5 days we spent in Venice.

Gorgeous views when we sailed out of Venice, enabling marvelous picture taking opportunities all the way.

Therefore, it really depends on your luck of draw.

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much for your quick responses! Yes, the cruise that I was looking at was the Princess cruise that departs Rome on 10/29 and finishes in Venice on 11/10. Another bonus is that it is considered "off peak" with American so you only need 40K miles a person for free airline tickets! Looking at the itinerary, it looks like the boat moves at night, and is in port almost every day (one sea day), so I am thinking no need to get a higher category room, an inside on a higher deck should be fine!

Your photos are lovely, definitely makes me want to see it for myself!

This is so funny. My husband and I are will be empty nesters in the fall (2 kids in college) and are looking at this exact same cruise and I was concerned about the weather too. We also are using American miles and I just told my husband about the 40K miles per person. Great minds think alike. We are still looking into the weather too. We prefer pretty sunny days. What did you decide?

This is so funny. My husband and I are will be empty nesters in the fall (2 kids in college) and are looking at this exact same cruise and I was concerned about the weather too. We also are using American miles and I just told my husband about the 40K miles per person. Great minds think alike. We are still looking into the weather too. We prefer pretty sunny days. What did you decide?

We signed up! Join us on the Star Princess departing Rome on October 29th. I started a thread over in the Roll Calls for that sailing and would love to have you join us. There have been two price drops in the last couple of months making this cruise a real bargin!

JoAnne

We are on the Star cruise just before yours. We actually prefer to travel in cooler weather. I'd rather add a jacket than be too hot. Heat makes me cranky. It's also easier to dress appropriately for churches in cooler weather - covered shoulders, knees and everything between. We took your cruise about three years ago (beginning of April). Most of the ports we visited required the above mention appropriate dress for shore excursions. It's a wonderful itinerary. Enjoy!

This is a request for the notes cruisemom42 made and sent to a number of you. If anyone still has those notes, could you please e-mail them to me?

A big thank you to cruisemom42 and to the person who forwards them. :)

gthiel at tampabay dot rr dot com

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for your quick responses! Yes, the cruise that I was looking at was the Princess cruise that departs Rome on 10/29 and finishes in Venice on 11/10. Another bonus is that it is considered "off peak" with American so you only need 40K miles a person for free airline tickets! Looking at the itinerary, it looks like the boat moves at night, and is in port almost every day (one sea day), so I am thinking no need to get a higher category room, an inside on a higher deck should be fine!

Your photos are lovely, definitely makes me want to see it for myself!

Thanks for the great photos. I am really excited and I am wondering what are some of the best excursions to take.

Archived