Camp Carnival - Very Disappointed

Gonz

where in my posts did i say ur a bad mother??

I stay home with my children as well work from home. So i do know what is is like. thank you very much.

I was in response to you getting all mad because the kids club was closed the last day because of the events. And that it was open the other days and that you could lay out in the sun when it was open.

We had the hours of operation problem on the Elation last December. Sure the Capers had printed up hours, but the staff made up their own hours (which were always less). So always closing time and the start of fee services started fifteen minutes early. If you arrived at the actual time closing posted in the Capers the staff would yell at you.

I understand not letting kids in 5 minutes early, but the staff don't need to hang onto the sign-in sheet like they are secret documents. On NCL the staff has always given the sign-in sheet to the early arrivals to at least complete the sign-in paperwork. On the Elation the staff refused to let anyone hold the sign-in without at least one staff member also having a hand firmly locked onto the sign-in. Of course this just increased the time to check-in and lengthen the line; making many people late to first evening seating.

For taking an Carnival excursion that was listed as returning an hour prior to afternoon closing we came back at the end of the 15 minutes that the Capers said they camp was still open (but the staff had already decided to be closed); so the staff charged us a late fee. Guess where their tip went?

Excuse me but are you saying that a kid/20 yr old staff memeber would actullay YELL at you? Are you kidding me? If a kid yelled at me I would freak out! I just can't tell you how mad I would be.

Ladies, we don't all need to judge each other, we are all in the same BOAT here. ;) We all just want to be good parents.

rescue/fire - Carnival is a "Babysitting Service", using their own terms. They named themselves that, not us. :)

MrsZee - Just go and have a GREAT time! Like I said before...I have had 3 very different experiences in the kids clubs on 3 different ships. Yes, they do shut down for that Talent Show -- but for 2 of them, I wanted my children to participate in the talent show. The 3rd (Triumph), the counselors were {ahem} different, so I opted the kids out. And since it was a Canadian cruise and there wasn't a lot of swimming, the kids and I had to make our own fun.

I don't know why Carnival shuts down so much. Disney doesn't at all. Royal Caribbean is learning not to either. They added a "lunch with Adventure Ocean" {paid for service}.

People who cruise with kids often (myself included) know that this isn't a dumping ground for the kids. I have to DRAG the kids to spend time with us. DRAG. As they are moaning "whyyyyyy...I am going to miss {insert camp activity here}.

So for those who haven't cruised with kids. Jumping in and trying to make others feel guilty for just dumping the kids and running -- sorry, it doesn't work like that. EVERY time I have walked my kids to camp, they are dumping ME. Not the other way around. And I spend the rest of the day, trying to sneak peaks -- making sure they are ok. And if they catch me -- then I hear " I AM NOT LEAVING!!!!" :eek:

nxtdoor - The OP was on Valor.

MrsZee - Just go and have a GREAT time!

I will. :) I will enjoy the whole cruise, even more so that I am taking him this time rather than missing him because I left him at home. I originally came to the thread to sympathize with the OP because I thought that what happened was not cool. And then I turned it into my own soap box, but I will step off now. :)

This happened to me last year.

I was concerned about an upcoming (now completed) Carnival Cruise kids' club based on a few posts about over-reactions of counselors to normal kid's behavior. My son doesn't do any of the things Carnival states are reasons for exclusions from the club. On the other hand, he is hearing impaired and ADHD and sometimes marches to his own beat.

I wanted to know how widespread the over-reactions were, as I too, wanted time by myself and wanted to know what to expect. I was thinking it would be better to be prepared in case they would get upset about a kid who didn't want their face painted etc.

I got accused of, among other things, using Camp Carnival as respite care. I also got some good, and realistic advice.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from the Carnival Legend and the boys did occasionally use Camp Carnival. Each time we dropped off we were told a pick up time that was 15 minutes earlier than what was listed. Maybe they do this to prevent people from being late :confused:.

I was a little irritated at how they pushed the late night parties with the extra charge. Every time we picked up they would ask the boy "are you coming to the such and such party tonight?" Of course the first thing my youngest would ask me is "can I go?". They were also sent paper invitations with their names on them to the late night parties.

Well, I've taken one Carnival cruise and it was one too many, so I'm no fan of theirs at all. We only went because they took kids at the age of 2 in the kids club and it was something for DD to do. She loved it for the time she spent in there.

What I will say is that we have taken our DD on 17 cruises (or so... I may be off by 1 or 2) and every kids club closed down for 2 hours in the middle of the day and 2 hours around dinner time. Carnival is not unique in that. Frankly, it was the only way to drag my social child out of the place, because she'd never leave otherwise... We use that time to eat as a family and take her to the pool as well. Enough is enough.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using the kids club for its intended purpose, so no flames from me on that front. My kid loves going there and it does give me a break, so I view it as a win win, but certainly not a place to park my child for the day so I can work on my tan.

I can't comment on the other issues you raised as I have no experience with those on Carnival or any other cruise line. However, it is typical for the kids clubs to close at certain points throughout the day and I think that gives both staff and kids a rest.

Ladies, we don't all need to judge each other, we are all in the same BOAT here. ;) We all just want to be good parents.

People who cruise with kids often (myself included) know that this isn't a dumping ground for the kids. I have to DRAG the kids to spend time with us. DRAG. As they are moaning "whyyyyyy...I am going to miss {insert camp activity here}.

So for those who haven't cruised with kids. Jumping in and trying to make others feel guilty for just dumping the kids and running -- sorry, it doesn't work like that. EVERY time I have walked my kids to camp, they are dumping ME. Not the other way around. And I spend the rest of the day, trying to sneak peaks -- making sure they are ok. And if they catch me -- then I hear " I AM NOT LEAVING!!!!" :eek:

Yes, that's us too.. I have to beg my child to come and spend time with us. She would rather be in the kids club with her peers. I am not a bad parent at all. My child is an only child who craves playmates her own age, that's all. We have to fight to find the balance with her or else she really would stay in the kids club until they closed at night. I really don't like being judged for that.

We are just back from the Carnival Legend and the boys did occasionally use Camp Carnival. Each time we dropped off we were told a pick up time that was 15 minutes earlier than what was listed. Maybe they do this to prevent people from being late :confused:.
That's my understanding. However, some of this ships are better about this than others. We had one cruise where the counselors encouraged parents to pick up at 11:30 when the schedule listed activities as continuing until noon. I do understand their problem - if they say Camp Carnival closes at noon, the parents all show up right at noon and the kids aren't all gone until 12:30. They seem much better now about building the pick-up times into the schedule; last month when we sailed on Conquest, the schedule had morning activities ending at 11:45, pick-up was at 11:45, and camp closed at 12.

rescue/fire - Carnival is a "Babysitting Service", using their own terms. They named themselves that, not us. :)

MrsZee - Just go and have a GREAT time! Like I said before...I have had 3 very different experiences in the kids clubs on 3 different ships. Yes, they do shut down for that Talent Show -- but for 2 of them, I wanted my children to participate in the talent show. The 3rd (Triumph), the counselors were {ahem} different, so I opted the kids out. And since it was a Canadian cruise and there wasn't a lot of swimming, the kids and I had to make our own fun.

I don't know why Carnival shuts down so much. Disney doesn't at all. Royal Caribbean is learning not to either. They added a "lunch with Adventure Ocean" {paid for service}.Paid is the key word here.

People who cruise with kids often (myself included) know that this isn't a dumping ground for the kids. I have to DRAG the kids to spend time with us. DRAG. As they are moaning "whyyyyyy...I am going to miss {insert camp activity here}. Yeah, have the same problem. She will be on her 5th cruise, and all she wants is Camp Carnival and Paradise Beach.

nxtdoor - The OP was on Valor.

Crusinmama06, you posted the Camp Capers and I verified them. They are given the first day of any cruise, set in stone, when they are open, what is served for dinner with friends, what are family activities, etc. How can anyone be upset or surprised for what occurs.

Dumping your kids, nope, Not READING, yes. If you are not informed, then your are disappointed.

Note for anyone reading this thread, read the Camp schedule, whatever ship you may take.

Archived