Tip verses Smuggling

[quote name='bobbyleduck']People: This thread is about tipping and smuggling booze. Why are some of the same people cheerleaders of both, when one is an optional recommendation and the other is prohibited? On the one hand they reprimand and even tell people not to cruise if they suggest they might remove and/or reduce their tips, while on the other hand they promote and even bragg about smuggling booze.
[/quote]

Why are you like a broken record?

Homeland security is a real issue. A plane was almost destroyed by a terrorist at Christmas over Detroit with liquid chemical explosives. Security practices and looking for liquids in luggage is going to get more intensive and it's for our safety as a cruising public. I personally don't care if someone smuggles booze, but I do want luggage searched in case theres a radical that wants to blow up the ship with liquid chemicals smuggled in luggage. If you live in a large city or fly for work (which I do) you are more aware that we are living in unsafe times. We bring on the 2 allowed bottles of wine and buy a few beers and drinks during the week and that's fine for us. I consider liquor costs simply part of the cost of cruising.

[quote name='bobbyleduck']People: This thread is about tipping and smuggling booze. Why are some of the same people cheerleaders of both, when one is an optional recommendation and the other is prohibited? On the one hand they reprimand and even tell people not to cruise if they suggest they might remove and/or reduce their tips, while on the other hand they promote and even bragg about smuggling booze.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob[/quote]

[quote name='MrPete']Why are you like a broken record?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. I think he's the only one taking this thread seriously.

Well, there are always the "I follow all the rules no matter how ridiculous" crowd that think that everyone should do/think like them. We'll never get away from those kinds of ppl so there is no use trying to debate them. What they don't seem to realize that no matter how much "preaching" they do, they aren't going to change the minds of anyone just like noone is going to change their minds.

My take is simple...I just mind my business and I'm a very happy person. If ppl stop smuggling Carnival is not going to lower cruise rates due to their increased profits. As I've said in another thread about smuggling, cruise rates are driven by demand, not but profit.

Also, yes Carnival has rules but I don't believe in blindly following all the rules when the rules are to the benefit of the company. As has been said before, the prices of alcohol onboard are ridiculous overpriced when compared to life outside the ship. If they were compatible we drinker would be a lot less tempted to smuggle. I've never smuggled booze and I probably never will but it's not because I think it's wrong; it because I'm too lazy to go thru the effort.

To each their own. As long as it doesn't take away from my cruise experience I don't care what others do. Just my 2 cents.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob[/quote]

I think SOME of the cheerleaders of tipping "BIG" talk a good game, but if it was possible to verify we would find out it is just talk. On the other hand the smugglers do it for several reasons, the thrill of the game, the flavor of the booze, and the saving of money that they might not have to spend on the cruise (if the truth was known) then again there are the smugglers that also just talk a good game of fiction!

[quote name='lawskool10'][COLOR=red]Does it count as smuggling if it's booze I bought from Carnival several years ago?[/COLOR]

I don't understand why people get worked up by stuff that doesn't affect them.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I was thinking..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]if I bought a bottle from Bon Voyage, I seriously doubt it would be finished[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]by the end of the cruise...could I take it back on the next one? [SIZE=2](with reciept)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=navy](like it would really last that long:rolleyes:, but[I] if[/I] it did)[/COLOR]

[quote name='vacruisin']Well, there are always the "I follow all the rules no matter how ridiculous" crowd that think that everyone should do/think like them. We'll never get away from those kinds of ppl so there is no use trying to debate them. What they don't seem to realize that no matter how much "preaching" they do, they aren't going to change the minds of anyone just like noone is going to change their minds.

My take is simple...I just mind my business and I'm a very happy person. If ppl stop smuggling Carnival is not going to lower cruise rates due to their increased profits. As I've said in another thread about smuggling, cruise rates are driven by demand, not but profit.

Also, yes Carnival has rules but I don't believe in blindly following all the rules when the rules are to the benefit of the company. As has been said before, the prices of alcohol onboard are ridiculous overpriced when compared to life outside the ship. If they were compatible we drinker would be a lot less tempted to smuggle. I've never smuggled booze and I probably never will but it's not because I think it's wrong; it because I'm too lazy to go thru the effort.

To each their own. As long as it doesn't take away from my cruise experience I don't care what others do. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

If you don't like Carnival's rules you have 2 honorable options.
1. Sail Carnival and adhere to their rules as YOU AGREED to by booking.
2. Don't sail Carnival.

There is no honorable option that allows you to sail Carnival and ignore rules others are following.

The continuation of FREEDOM in the US is contingent on all of us exercising personal responsibility. [Among many other things]

[quote name='lillian marie']Homeland security is a real issue. A plane was almost destroyed by a terrorist at Christmas over Detroit with liquid chemical explosives. Security practices and looking for liquids in luggage is going to get more intensive and it's for our safety as a cruising public. I personally don't care if someone smuggles booze, but I do want luggage searched in case theres a radical that wants to blow up the ship with liquid chemicals smuggled in luggage. If you live in a large city or fly for work (which I do) you are more aware that we are living in unsafe times. We bring on the 2 allowed bottles of wine and buy a few beers and drinks during the week and that's fine for us. I consider liquor costs simply part of the cost of cruising.[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]Discovery Channel is having a special about it too[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[INDENT][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]"[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]The Underwear Bomber[/B]: Detroit Plane Plot[/COLOR][/SIZE][I]"[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/INDENT]
[COLOR=navy]seriously, that is the name of it[/COLOR]

I don't think the nondrinkers realize just how fast you can run up a huge bill just from drinking on a cruise. You save money all year to go on this cruise so you don't want to break the bank on the cruise also. However, this is a time when you can just relax, have fun and enjoy a few extra drinks without having to worry about getting behind the wheel of a car so of course most drinkers are going to drink more than usual. If that's not your thing that's fine but don't knock others for putting their financial interests above Carnival's.

[quote name='dan40']If you don't like Carnival's rules you have 2 honorable options.
2. Don't sail Carnival.

There is no honorable option that allows you to sail Carnival and ignore rules others are following.

The continuation of FREEDOM in the US is contingent on all of us exercising personal responsibility. [Among many other things][/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]C'mon Dan..do the honorable thing and quote the contract like G'ma[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I would like to see a list of board names of those that champion both 'BIG' tipping and smuggling.
There is no connection between the two very different things. The only similarity is that they both are covered by various policies and procedures. And DIFFERENT policies and procedures at that.

I'm neither a smuggler nor a "BIG" tipper.

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]C'mon Dan..do the honorable thing and quote the contract like G'ma[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

No need, the contract IS the contract, ignorance of it is never an excuse.
And like it or not, G'ma is often right. [not as far right as me, but right!:rolleyes::D]

[quote name='dan40']If you don't like Carnival's rules you have 2 honorable options.
2. Don't sail Carnival.

The continuation of FREEDOM in the US is contingent on all of us exercising personal responsibility. [Among many other things][/quote]

So, booze smugglers are dishonorable for bringing on booze but Carnival isn't dishonorable for hiking the prices 3 times more than on land? Honor goes both ways.

When they band water and soda from being brough onboard I'm sure we'll see a lot more people without "honor". Wow, now we're talking honor.

[quote name='vacruisin']I don't think the nondrinkers realize just how fast you can run up a huge bill just from drinking on a cruise. You save money all year to go on this cruise so you don't want to break the bank on the cruise also. However, this is a time when you can just relax, have fun and enjoy a few extra drinks without having to worry about getting behind the wheel of a car so of course most drinkers are going to drink more than usual. [COLOR=red]If that's not your thing that's fine but don't knock others for putting their financial interests above Carnival's[/COLOR].[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]agree, [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]but some just might say[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]"if you can't afford the drinks, you can't afford to cruise, stay at home or try camping"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]Discovery Channel is having a special about it too[/COLOR][/SIZE][INDENT][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]"[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]The Underwear Bomber[/B]: Detroit Plane Plot[/COLOR][/SIZE][I]"[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/INDENT][COLOR=navy]seriously, that is the name of it[/COLOR][/quote]

Here's a great idea!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Here's a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at
the airports.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4] Have a well reinforced booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you, but will [COLOR=Red][B][B]detonate any explosive device you may have on you[/B].[/B][/COLOR] It would be a win-win for everyone, and there would be none of this crap about racial profiling and this method would eliminate a long expensive trial. Justice would be quick and swift.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]:D:D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I was thinking..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]if I bought a bottle from Bon Voyage, I seriously doubt it would be finished[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]by the end of the cruise...could I take it back on the next one? [SIZE=2](with reciept)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=navy](like it would really last that long:rolleyes:, but[I] if[/I] it did)[/COLOR][/quote]

Funny. Now, what about the booze a person might buy from the duty-free shop on board during the first cruise of a B2B aboard the same ship. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how is that handled?

By the way, to those of you who don't get the connection, you're just trying not to get the connection between breaking a rule, and making a choice regarding a recommendation. And this is only aimed at those who are cheerleaders for tipping the recommended amount (or more) and who at the same time are cheerleaders for smuggling booze. The connection is the MONEY, and the whole rules vs recommendations thing.

Carnival doesn't recommend that you not smuggle booze, it says, "[B]Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.[/B]" Carnival doesn't require that you leave automatically charged gratuities in place, and in fact says, "[B]At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.[/B]"

Yet, some of the same people who rile against those who suggest they may adjust their tips downward, are the same people who flagrantly flaunt the rules regarding smuggling booze.

If you follow the rules and recommendations to a T,then I'm not talking about you. If you don't follow any of the rules and regulations and don't care one way or another about what others do, then I'm not talking about you. If, however you attack people who don't think the same way you do about tipping, and brag about your smuggling of booze, then I think some of us want to hear your juicy rationalizations for doing both.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

[quote name='dan40']No need, the contract IS the contract, ignorance of it is never an excuse.
[COLOR=red]And like it or not, G'ma is often right[/COLOR]. [not as far right as me, but right!:rolleyes::D][/quote]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][COLOR=navy]I know, just having a little fun here.[/COLOR]
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

[quote name='dan40']No need, the contract IS the contract, ignorance of it is never an excuse.
And like it or not, [COLOR=black]G'ma is often right[/COLOR]. [not as far right as me, but right!:rolleyes::D][/quote]

[URL="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.redomentertainment.com/files/image_events/big_laugh.png&imgrefurl=http://www.redomentertainment.com/events/index&usg=__uhPQv6xk5vQnoSBcXh9ldHBVi8E=&h=353&w=412&sz=195&hl=en&start=15&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=YH4y_rytu2pURM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbig%2Blaugh%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enUS261US262%26tbs%3Disch:1"][IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YH4y_rytu2pURM:http://www.redomentertainment.com/files/image_events/big_laugh.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='vacruisin']So, booze smugglers are dishonorable for bringing on booze but Carnival isn't dishonorable for hiking the prices 3 times more than on land? Honor goes both ways.

When they band water and soda from being brough onboard I'm sure we'll see a lot more people without "honor". Wow, now we're talking honor.[/quote]

New twist;

has anyone ever thought of calling Carnival on the gouging of the prices for alcohol be it from the bar or the BV department? Or do they get away with it because we are at sea and laws don't apply?

The government does not allow gas stations to over charge by demand, or hardware stores after a dissaster, wouldn't this be the same type of situation, they have a captive audiance that by the "rules", can not go any place else.

[quote name='bobbyleduck'][COLOR=red]Funny. Now, what about the booze a person might buy from the duty-free shop on board during the first cruise of a B2B aboard the same ship. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how is that handled?[/COLOR]

By the way, to those of you who don't get the connection, you're just trying not to get the connection between breaking a rule, and making a choice regarding a recommendation. And this is only aimed at those who are cheerleaders for tipping the recommended amount (or more) and who at the same time are cheerleaders for smuggling booze. The connection is the MONEY, and the whole rules vs recommendations thing.

Carnival doesn't recommend that you not smuggle booze, it says, "[B]Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.[/B]" Carnival doesn't require that you leave automatically charged gratuities in place, and in fact says, "[B]At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.[/B]"

Yet, some of the same people who rile against those who suggest they may adjust their tips downward, are the same people who flagrantly flaunt the rules regarding smuggling booze.

If you follow the rules and recommendations to a T,then I'm not talking about you. If you don't follow any of the rules and regulations and don't care one way or another about what others do, then I'm not talking about you. If, however you attack people who don't think the same way you do about tipping, and brag about your smuggling of booze, then I think some of us want to hear your juicy rationalizations for doing both.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob[/quote]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]They say it is brought to you cabin on the last night of the first leg.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]agree, [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]"if you can't afford the drinks, you can't afford to cruise, stay at home or try camping"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Huh? What if Carnival instituted a policy that banned all cruisers from booking shore excursions from the locals at cheaper prices? Sounds ridiculous huh? Well, if they did would all the "booze bashers" feel obligated to follow Carnival's new policy? I mean some of them may not be able to afford to pay for the shore excursions that Carnival are selling. Should they not go on the cruise then?

[quote name='dan40']Here's a great idea!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Here's a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000]the airports.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Have a well reinforced booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you, but will [COLOR=red][B][B]detonate any explosive device you may have on you[/B].[/B][/COLOR] It would be a win-win for everyone, and there would be none of this crap about racial profiling and this method would eliminate a long expensive trial. Justice would be quick and swift. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]:D:D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/quote]

So after the detonation, would the next person in line have to "tip" the person with the squeege that is cleaning up the booth?

Or would that be a surcharge?

[quote name='conchead'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]agree, [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]"if you can't afford the drinks, you can't afford to cruise, stay at home or try camping"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Yes! That is, of course, what many of the tipping cheerleaders say to those of a different mind.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

[quote name='waldocruiser1']New twist;

has anyone ever thought of calling Carnival on the gouging of the prices for alcohol be it from the bar or the BV department? Or do they get away with it because we are at sea and laws don't apply?

The government does not allow gas stations to over charge by demand, or hardware stores after a dissaster, wouldn't this be the same type of situation, they have a captive audiance that by the "rules", can not go any place else.[/quote]

Bad logic according to many people on the Cruise Critic boards, who claim that you don't pay a higher price for alcohol aboard ship than you would at a fancy bar or restaurant. I wouldn't know because I don't drink alcohol and don't frequent fancy bars and restaurants.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived