Snorkeling at PB

pcspitz

:confused: Cruising and this will be our first time to Cozumel. We understand that the snorkeling isn't the best at PB compared to other beaches. If we do decide to snorkel at PB and forego the other beaches, what can we expect to see? Many varieties of fish, reefs? Is the snorkeling better than average?

It's better than your bathtub! ;) Really, PB is not the best place for snorkeling. There are a couple of coral heads to swim around, with an okay variety of fish swimming around them. If snorkeling is a priority, you should head to Dzul Ha.

If you're into snorkeling, PB, or any of the neighboring resorts is the LAST PLACE that you want to go.

Take off on the other side of the island.

(If you wish to remain on "mellow" side of the island, I highly recommend Nachi Cocum beach);)

Actually, when we were at the other side of the island, we had a lovely time at CHEN RIO. T'was a pretty rocky cove with great snorkeling and alot of locals.

(Had big fun body surfing at Playa Bonita)

At the time we were there, we had no fear of a rip-current dragging us to Cuba.:rolleyes:

The beach clubs on the east side of the island are safe spots for swimming. The danger is in jumping in along the deserted stretches which is very tempting. Both Chen Rio and Playa Bonita are beautiful.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the snorkeling at Chen Rio. People generally don't snorkel there because there are much better spots.

I went snorkeling at Paradise Beach last weekend. I saw quite a few things. There just isn't the variety of critters and other stuff you can see at Dzul Ha or a couple of the other sites. But it wasn't horrible. The new little pier that has been put in has already attracted some marine life. I snorkeled easily out to the buoys and saw alot of fish...a very small barracuda, trunkfish, parrotfish, lots of yellow rays, a flounder, and a slew of other little fish. I spent a nice 1 1/2 out there enjoying the sights.

Please do not go snorkeling on the eastside. It looks inviting like Sally said, but people die there each year...locals as well as tourists. We lost a friend who lived here just last summer and who had been boogyboarding there for numerous years. He drowned within what seemed like an arm's reach of the beach trying to help a kid in trouble out in the water. His wife watched helplessly from shore. Of course you can go ahead and try but it just isn't worth it to risk your life in my opinion. I am a very strong swimmer - ex-triathlete and lifeguard, and I won't even go in the water over there. I love living here too much...and don't want to cut it short on the eastside.

Do you ever see any eels at PB? My kids have never snorkeled so any fish is good for them but my 6 year old LOVES eels and I know sometimes they find a cranny to live in and stay there a while. I saw one at Chankanaab once. That would just be the icing on my little man's first cruise to see an eel. Can't wait to see their faces the first time a fish zooms right up to them then veers off at the last minute!

The east side has gorgeous views BUT like Solita said, it's just not worth the risk.

BTW Solita-right where the turnoff is for the lighthouse, there used to be a Marley bar-is it still there?

Thanks

Crystal

Archived