Turtles, Turtles, & More Turtles Deluxe?

pbsweetheart

Hello everyone! First time cruiser here. My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in June with Carnival. We'll be going to Cozumel, Caymen, and Ocho Rios. We're both very excited and have been doing a bit of research on the excursions that we have chosen.

Anyone have a review of the "Turtles, Turtles, & More Turtles Deluxe?" I've read a few that didn't look like they had a good time, but looking for more feedback.

Also another stupid question - has anyone with contacts had problems with snorkling? I've never done it before and I'm a bit concerned. Anyone have advice with this?

Thanks in advance!

It is an excursion to the Boatswain’s Beach, home of the world famous Cayman Turtle Farm.

Here is the Carnival description:

Visit Boatswain’s Beach, home of the world famous Cayman Turtle Farm.

On this excursion you will:

• Interact with marine turtles, flora and other fauna as well as swim and snorkel in the park’s lagoons.
  • Enjoy a tour of the marine park, including the Breeding Pond, the Turtle Hatchery, and the Education Center.
  • Experience seeing a variety of turtles, from hatchlings to 600 pounds, and hold one of the yearlings in the Touch Tanks.
  • Enjoy a stroll through the woodlands of the Nature Trail, complete with a small cave system, and let your imagination soar as you enter a world of Caymanian and Caribbean birds in the free-flight Bird Aviary.
  • Experience snorkeling at Boatswain’s Lagoon where you can swim with yearling size turtles and view sharks in the Predator’s Reef through the underwater viewing panel.
  • Have the choice to relax at Breaker’s Tidal Lagoon, one of the largest in the Cayman Islands. Enjoy lunch at Schooners Bar & Grill before heading back to your ship.

Note: Lunch is included. Snorkel gear is provided. A swimsuit, sunscreen, beach towel are recommended.

Sorry I am new. I hope this is enough information.

We just got back from there, my review is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1121694

We did not book a ship excursion. Our cost to do this (no lunch) was (cost per person...US Dollars):

Bus ride to Botswain: $2.50

Entry into Botswain: $45

Bus ride back to tender station: $2.50 (may be $2.50 more if you tender at Spot's Bay)

The $45 entry fee included the following:

Snorkeling

Snorkeling Equipment

Aviary

Pool

Turtle Breeding Pond

Turtle Touch Tanks

Shark Tank

Education Center

Nature walk (with 'cave') - you don't actually go into the cave. Its in a sinkhole that is fenced off.

So for $50/pp + whatever you spend on lunch, you can visit the Turtle Farm on your own! There are places to eat in the park, but they are kinda pricey for what you get (tourist prices). You can probably catch a bus downtown and get some better food for less. All things considered, I would probably not spend any more than I had to for the farm (again, read my review for details). Also, there is a 20% discount if you purchase tickets online.

There is a good post somewhere about the bus system, just do a search. There is a bus stop right outside Botswain and it seems that they run constantly. In Cayman, the "buses" are really minivans that hold around 12 people. The drivers are all really nice!

The downside is that you will have to be mindful of your time. Don't miss your ship! Also remember, rush hour is pretty bad, so allow extra time to get back from the farm.

After looking at your link, $59 is pretty reasonable for this excursion through Carnival.

Good luck!

We did this excursion without the lunch option, since we were scheduled to return to the port area around 12:30 and we figured we could just eat lunch on the ship. My review (with photos) is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1151709 (Grand Cayman is on Page 2). We did stop at the bar for Caybrew for DH and I and sodas for our sons.:)

We were there last week, we did the Cayman in a nutshell tour. The turtle farm was great. They had the breeders in a big area with a sand beach. There are other tanks holding the younger turtles where the reach in and pull them out so you can hold them. As you walk along to more tanks you see the older and getting bigger turtles. We really enjoyed this place, and of course no trip is over until you go through the gift shop.

Archived