Theme nights

C at Sea

I can help with your question, having sailed on both lines :) I find as soon as you mention P&O on the american lines sub forums the majority of readers don't have a clue what you are talking about :lol:

On Princess, Formal nights will be just that. With no theming such as black and white.

With P & O when you get your tickets it usually tells you what theme nights will be held on your cruise. This doesn't happen with Princess, it seems to depend more on the entertainment team on board, and you will see it listed in the "Princess patter" I have never seen a theme carried through into the dining rooms, they are more of an evening entertainment event, on deck when weather permits, or sometimes in the "nightclub" on board.

I have only seen tropical, and country and western theme, the tropical being the most adhered too. I usually throw a hawaiian style shirt for DH, and bright sundress and flower hairclip for me in the case just incase. We change into these clothes after dinner, if luggage weight restrictions apply you will not be out of place at the events in "normal" clothing :)

I love Princess, hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your help! I did post the question on the Princess site afterwards as I'd thought I'd done before until I came to P&O and saw it there by mistake!!

Glad you like Princess. It will be our first time on the line after 15 years on P&O. So we are trying to gather as much info as we can first. But looking forward to a different experience after so long of a "British" one!

I hope you enjoy it :) We tried P&O for the first time last year and before sailing would never have believed you can visit a foreign country and everything still be so British :rolleyes:

Things on Princess have declined a bit since our first cruise in 2003, but reading these forums I think thats the same for most mainstream cruiselines.

I think If you like one line you will like the other, there will just be some things you will prefer on each of them.

I thought the food in the MDR on P&O was really good the first 2 days, then to be honest got fed up with basically a full roast every night and no room for dessert :lol: I loved their special priced after dinner drink :) Princess portions are much smaller and there is a lack of vegetables, so if you like them order extra ;) but you can get through 3 courses and feel comfortably full, and I like the Italian influences of their food.

P & O theatre entertainment was excellent, there seem to have been cuts on Princess with fewer dancers, shows are still good, but you notice the lack of performers at times. Princess offers a much better selection of alternative entertainment around the ship, I never noticed much live music on p&o. Plus they have Movies under the stars, I love that.

Despite what I read time and time again, Princess is still Formal on Formal night, we've always dressed up and not felt overdressed, the one thing that is different is people will often change after dinner, but that maybe because we have been in warmer climates than sailing from Southampton.

There are no kettles in the staterooms, but there is room service :)

I feel like I have been on holiday if I come home craving a decent cup of tea and a roast dinner.

Thanks for your reply, all very useful to us!

First time we sailed with P&O was 1995 and we have noticed lots of changes over time, as there naturally would be, some for the better, some not so. One big thing is the "sell" for a lot of things. Oh well, the way of the world now!

Archived