If you're "fluffy"

cindep

We'll be returning from a TA in September and flying USAir LGA to CLT. The flight we're taking is a 3-3 configuration. After the media news a couple of weeks ago about the passenger of size on Southwest, DH and I decided we'd be more comfortable with more room.

Called USAir and learned the following (after we had already gotten a good deal on our air tickets):

I was able to go online and buy an additional ticket with my name (fortunately the price had gone down). I then called USAir who noted in our reservation the additional seat and assigned the three seats together (no charge). We now have a row to ourselves. This cost us an additional $105 on a 2+ hour scheduled flight. Much cheaper than First Class AND we're guaranteed lots of elbow/hip room.

Thought I'd pass this on as an option for folks who can't afford First Class but would prefer more room (width wise). The other advantage for us is the ability to put our laptops under the empty seat rather than our feet.

Be sure you are not in a front (bulkhead) or exit row. The reason is because these rows do not have a table tray in the seatback ahead (since there isn't one or it's too far away). These rows have trays that fold out of the armrest, which is a solid bin and of course can't be folded up.

Very good point Kenish! I've been "squished" in that bulkhead seat before ... no fun! Nice legroom, but other than that, not a lot of benefit for sitting up there.

One other "nicety" of the extra seat: You can put down that one tray table and both of you use it without putting something in your lap.

Some questions pop into my head wondering how US Air would handle certain situations. Some serious and others for a chuckle.

What happens if the flight is full? Will they guarantee your extra seat? Do you have to be checked in for all three tickets for the seat to be saved (people that are not checked in 30 minutes before give the right to their seat to someone else)? Make sure the extra seat doesn't get deleted due to same passenger name. Is there a possibility of a refund if there are open seats (like Sargent said Southwest does)? Do you earn extra dividend miles for that seat? Would you get an extra bag at the lower cost for the third seat? Do you get an extra drink/snack? And lastly, would you get extra attitude from the agent? :eek:

Just some food for thought BTW, I am also glad to see US Air worked with you to make for a better experience. From my limited US Air experiences as a passenger, I have been pleased with their customer service

The flight isn't until September, so we'll see how it ultimately works out. I kind of wondered about the luggage fees too, as we'll probably check 4 pieces. As far as refunding our ticket if the flight isn't full ... that would be OK with me, but not necessary. This was the only way I could "guarantee" that we would have the row to ourselves.

Unfortunately, our flight experiences lately on USAir have been less than stellar. I'm hoping our flight in September will restore my faith in USAir. We shall see. Another bad experience and we'll definitely find a different airline to fly. I will definitely check in for all three tickets. I think they have quite a few flights a day from LGA to CLT, so I'm hoping it won't be oversold.

The flight isn't until September, so we'll see how it ultimately works out. I kind of wondered about the luggage fees too, as we'll probably check 4 pieces. As far as refunding our ticket if the flight isn't full ... that would be OK with me, but not necessary. This was the only way I could "guarantee" that we would have the row to ourselves.

Unfortunately, our flight experiences lately on USAir have been less than stellar. I'm hoping our flight in September will restore my faith in USAir. We shall see. Another bad experience and we'll definitely find a different airline to fly. I will definitely check in for all three tickets. I think they have quite a few flights a day from LGA to CLT, so I'm hoping it won't be oversold.

Don't be shocked if you can't check in online we could not due to it being one way air and we purchased a third seat for the comfort during the long flight over to Rome last year. We just got to the airport earlier and had not problem. We were flying United, we were also able to used the luggage allowance for the third seat and the agent told me that when we got home to email United and we would get FF credit for the third seat which we were able to, any more question I would be glad to help if we can. Pam

Thanks, Pam. That is all interesting and good to know. Our flight isn't until close to 1:00 p.m. from LGA and I believe Crown Princess is supposed to be in around 7 that morning, so we should have scads of time. It would be nice (since we have so much luggage) if we could use that lower luggage cost for one of the pieces. Overall, this is sounding like it will be a good thing all the way around.

Archived