Trip insurance when you scuba?

gargoyle999

I was looking over a travel insurance policy I was considering and saw there was an exclusion for "participation in underwater activities". Is there a policy out there that does not exclude "underwater activities"? I understand there are risks involved with scuba, but if I'm going to buy coverage I would want it to cover my "risky" activity! :cool:

I'm not sure if there are any general insurance policies that will include underwater activities. This is likely due to the enormous costs incurred in case of an accident (decompression chamber treatments, emergency air evacuation, etc). There are a few scuba specific insurance policies that you can buy, the major one being DAN (Divers Alert Network). Here are their available insurance plans http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Their maximum protection covers non-diving accidents as well.

I know there are other companies that offer dive insurance, but none of them are coming to mind at the moment. Maybe someone else can name them.

Laura

Yep,DAN (Diver's Alert Network) is the way to go. I am a 10 year member. I purchase the "preferred" plan and the cost is 125.00 annually for my wife and I.The "preferred plan has no depth limits and no limits for different gas mixes.My wife does not dive but the family plan does cover her for emergency evacuation when more than 50 miles from home.DAN is a true bargan for insurance and an outstanding organization promoting dive safety.

Yep, get DAN. Not only does the premium plan cover diving, it covers 24 hour phone support, bail, foreign help plus will provide transportation back to the u.s. in the case of an accident where you can't travel on your own (or send your family to you). Well worth the money and it's good for a year, not just a trip.

Don't leave home without it.

Randall

That looks like just want I want. Even though we are only doing a discover dive next month in Hawaii I'd hate for something to happen and not have traditional insurance cover it.

We'll be going to Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and Dominican Republic in Nov and will likely do more diving there. Either more discovery dives or if we go through all the certification process here in MN, full dives. So DAN looks like something worth signing up for even though I'm a "newbie".

Thanks everyone for the suggestion! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived