best travel insurance for person with a disability

sherX2

:confused:I was

looking for a medical and evac supplement. (just booked a cruise for April)

I checked with our private carrier and they only cover a limited amt

out of country and $0 for evac.

Although my husband is stable and having no new major health issues at the moment.

I am concerned any problem that might arise could be considered

pre-existing.

Is there a good provider for people with disabilities? :confused:

Thanks

Don't delay. You generally cannot get trip insurance that covers pre-existing conditions if you wait more than a day or two after you book your insurance. We always just ask our TA to help up with this, or use the one recommended by the cruise line, and pay for it with our original deposit.

(KLD)

We have always used Insure My Trip dot com. You can compare trip insurance plans for yourself and call if you have questions. They are a big help to us and aren't connected to the cruise lines. I think you have a week or two to buy your insurance so that it covers preexisting conditions.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage!

Judy

I am a person with a disability. I use either TravelGuard or TravelEx insurance.

But NOTE: You need to book insurance for pre-existing conditions right away. TravelGuard has to be booked within 14 days of booking the cruise; TravelEx gives you 31 days -- but don't depend on me for the exact timing, as it can change! Most of the rest that you might consider also need to be booked within days of booking your cruise.

Any insurance plan will want to know the price of the cruise (for both of you), airfare, hotels, travel to/from port -- you'll likely not know the exact costs of these right now (well, you know the cost of your cruise, but not the rest), so do some looking around and estimating the other costs. Better to be higher than lower! And then buy the insurance right away.

Neither of the companies I mentioned asked for specific information about the health condition, by the way.

Any insurance plan will want to know the price of the cruise (for both of you), airfare, hotels, travel to/from port -- you'll likely not know the exact costs of these right now (well, you know the cost of your cruise, but not the rest), so do some looking around and estimating the other costs. Better to be higher than lower! And then buy the insurance right away

I agree with all that's been said. I want to add that when I purchased insurance through www.insuremytrip.com, I was told by one of their reps on the phone that if the cost of the trip changes, I can call them to adjust the insurance coverage (and premium). You'll want to make sure you have coverage for any non-refundable fees.

:confused:I was

looking for a medical and evac supplement. (just booked a cruise for April)

I checked with our private carrier and they only cover a limited amt

out of country and $0 for evac.

Although my husband is stable and having no new major health issues at the moment.

I am concerned any problem that might arise could be considered

pre-existing.

Is there a good provider for people with disabilities? :confused:

Thanks

You are under tight time restrictions as it has to be purchased on average within 10 days of the initial booking to have all pre-existing conditions waived. Otherwise you'll find the medical will be useless. There are some that the time period is a little longer but they will cost you more. Following are two sights to compare multiple options at one time. options.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.html?linkId=30011

http://www.squaremouth.com/

I agree with all that's been said. I want to add that when I purchased insurance through www.insuremytrip.com, I was told by one of their reps on the phone that if the cost of the trip changes, I can call them to adjust the insurance coverage (and premium). You'll want to make sure you have coverage for any non-refundable fees.

Thanks to you all for the helpful information. Perhaps I am reading wrong but the minimum I have seen for a pre-exist is 60 days.

I am not concerned with trip protection just the expense that might be involved if hubby took ill and had to be evac'd back home.

Thanks to you all for the helpful information. Perhaps I am reading wrong but the minimum I have seen for a pre-exist is 60 days.

I am not concerned with trip protection just the expense that might be involved if hubby took ill and had to be evac'd back home.

I really think you are reading wrong. You can always call and ask, just to be sure. Why are you not concerned with trip protection, though? That's a key reason why people buy travel insurance, and people with pre-existing conditions can never be assured that they'll be healthy enough to travel! That's a key reason why I buy it. Yes, the evacuation is also crucial, but getting on the ship is important, too! :confused:

At www.insuremytrip.com there are policies that specifically cover evacuation, without all the other stuff, if that's what you really want. Be careful to read things very thoroughly. Some policies cover medical evacuation only when the physician and insurance company agree that it's medically necessary. You can get a policy that allows for medical evacuation at *your* discretion, and of course the premium is higher.

I do agree with others who say that the medical coverage is very important. Even an otherwise healthy person can become ill while traveling, you just never know what will come up.

If you or your husband are taking medication for anything, and I do mean anything, even if it is a baby asprin your doctorr told you to take .....you are considered having a pre-existing condition. You need to purchase your travel insurance immediately to be ensure that pre-existing conditions waiver requirements are met. The 60 day pre-exist period that you mention is the "LOOK BACK PERIOD" should you or your husband have to seek medical attention or cancel for medical reasons. For example if you are on Blood Presure meds, have a heart attack and did not purchase the insurance within the specified pre-existing grace period, the insurance company will deny your claim. The insurance company will review all your medical records before approving the claim. It's the adjusters job to find a reason to deny you. So don't give them one. Purchase it within the pre-exiting waiver grace period. Trip protection is essnetial and actually the smallest part of the premium you pay. The larger percentage of cost covers all the medical/evacuation costs. So why wouldn't you have trip protection.

It sounds like you are just interested in finding med evac and sup med insurance, rather than trip cancellation/interruption coverage. If that is true, then you should look at the AMEX product Travel Medical Protection. I believe pre-exisiting conditions are covered, but you should read the policy. In any case, they were covered when I signed up some 10 years ago. It's very affordable and based on age. Hubby & I pay like $139 per year (for both of us) and we are covered on any trips we take for the entire year. It has 100k emergency med evac and med insurance that will pay secondary to your med coverage. Pretty good deal for the $$. I travel a lot and I'm not concerned about trip cancellation insurance, but wouldn't travel without med evac.

in answer to the question posed earlier "why not be concerned with trip cancellation?". Basically we travel so much, that over the years even when we had to totally cancel a trip, it was cheaper than paying for expensive coverage for each trip. Just canceled an April trip, as will o be providing transportation to chemo fr neighbor at that time; and we're only out a few hundred bucks. So it's a risk we can afford to take.

Also, if you are a AAA member, check your emergency road service benefits. I think with the "plus" card (the one that you pay extra for, so you can get towed a farther distance) you get another 25k in med evac. Not enough for coverage by itself, but good to know if you also have this benefit there.

And if non of that works for you, I'd suggest talking to your insurance agent and getting a travel policy that covers you for the whole year that includes med evac and sup med insurance. Tell him you need to find one with no pre-exisiting conditions clause. They know their products and will direct you to a policy that fits your needs.

Good luck,

Candy

It sounds like you are just interested in finding med evac and sup med insurance, rather than trip cancellation/interruption coverage. If that is true, then you should look at the AMEX product Travel Medical Protection. I believe pre-exisiting conditions are covered, but you should read the policy. In any case, they were covered when I signed up some 10 years ago. It's very affordable and based on age. Hubby & I pay like $139 per year (for both of us) and we are covered on any trips we take for the entire year. It has 100k emergency med evac and med insurance that will pay secondary to your med coverage. Pretty good deal for the $$. I travel a lot and I'm not concerned about trip cancellation insurance, but wouldn't travel without med evac.

in answer to the question posed earlier "why not be concerned with trip cancellation?". Basically we travel so much, that over the years even when we had to totally cancel a trip, it was cheaper than paying for expensive coverage for each trip. Just canceled an April trip, as will o be providing transportation to chemo fr neighbor at that time; and we're only out a few hundred bucks. So it's a risk we can afford to take.

Also, if you are a AAA member, check your emergency road service benefits. I think with the "plus" card (the one that you pay extra for, so you can get towed a farther distance) you get another 25k in med evac. Not enough for coverage by itself, but good to know if you also have this benefit there.

And if non of that works for you, I'd suggest talking to your insurance agent and getting a travel policy that covers you for the whole year that includes med evac and sup med insurance. Tell him you need to find one with no pre-exisiting conditions clause. They know their products and will direct you to a policy that fits your needs.

Good luck,

Candy

Candy,

Thanks for the info. I am off to check AMEX. Like you I would not consider missing a trip a financial problem but paying for care in another country or evac would be an ouch !

Archived