First time cruise - 5 day San Diego to Ensenada

Luv2Travelnow

Hello, my family and I are taking our first cruise ever next week. We will be on the 5 day San Diego to Ensenada cruise, on the Carnival Elation I believe.

We've been reading the reviews and tips on this site, but there is just an overwhelming amount of information to absorb... :eek:

I feel like total newbies in doing a cruise knowing so little about taking a cruise. I fly frequently for work, but this is a totally new experience.

I have a few questions to start with:

-should we bring a hair dryer? I have read some posts that say there are no hair dryers, and then some that say there are.

-should we bring a small box of powder detergent to do laundry? We don't want to pack that much so self-service laundry will be great. Should we also bring quarters for the machines?

-how much cash should we bring? We will have the charge card, but I heard it's good to have a bunch of $1 bills for tips and such. Would $100 in $1 bills be enough?

-do we need to bring hangers? I read somewhere that there may not be enough hangers for the closet.

-Should I bring my 14" work laptop with me, or will a small netbook be more than enough for casual web surfing and email checking? I don't plan to do any work during my cruise.

-Since the cruise is March 15 - 20, will the weather be very cold, or will it be warm enough for us to enjoy the pool?

-Is there a jacuzzi / spa on the pool deck?

-I'm a workout fanatic. Is the gym facility fairly modern / good? I can find no photos of the gym.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!!!

Luv2Travelnow;23540443]Hello, my family and I are taking our first cruise ever next week. We will be on the 5 day San Diego to Ensenada cruise, on the Carnival Elation I believe.

We've been reading the reviews and tips on this site, but there is just an overwhelming amount of information to absorb... :eek:

I feel like total newbies in doing a cruise knowing so little about taking a cruise. I fly frequently for work, but this is a totally new experience.

I have a few questions to start with:

-should we bring a hair dryer? I have read some posts that say there are no hair dryers, and then some that say there are.

There's hair dryers in every room. However, you have to hold your finger down on the on button to keep the dryer going. Pack a heavy duty rubber band and wrap it around the button to keep it on.

-should we bring a small box of powder detergent to do laundry? We don't want to pack that much so self-service laundry will be great. Should we also bring quarters for the machines?

There's machines with laundry detergent and softener in each laundry room so you won't have to pack detergent. You can get change from the pursers. We pack a plastic bag to put our dirty laundry in--we're on vacation and don't do laundry on the ship. There's also an iron in the laundry room too.

-how much cash should we bring? We will have the charge card, but I heard it's good to have a bunch of $1 bills for tips and such. Would $100 in $1 bills be enough?

$1 bills are good to have for tipping. If you buy drinks on board, the tips are already included on your S&S card. You can tip for room service with money. Also tipping the porter when you arrive with your luggage (unless you are carrying your luggage on). We take $500.00 with us and that covers shopping and incidentals.

-do we need to bring hangers? I read somewhere that there may not be enough hangers for the closet.

We have always had plenty of hangers in our closet. Just ask your cabin steward for more hangers. Don't take up room in your luggage with hangers.

-Should I bring my 14" work laptop with me, or will a small netbook be more than enough for casual web surfing and email checking? I don't plan to do any work during my cruise.

You will still be charged for internet service, if I recall it's like 75 cents a minute. There's an internet cafe on board and you can check your e-mail there. The laptop is just another thing to haul around and keep track of. It's only a 5 day cruise, surely you can live without it for 5 days.

-Since the cruise is March 15 - 20, will the weather be very cold, or will it be warm enough for us to enjoy the pool?

It should be warm enough, but I would pack some long pants and a lightweight sweater. Coming out of Cabo can be very windy at times.

Yes, IIRC there's one on the aft deck. You can go to the Carnival website and check out the deck plans and where the spas are located. There's a very nice one in the gym. We hung out there the most because children have to be accompanied by an adult.

-I'm a workout fanatic. Is the gym facility fairly modern / good? I can find no photos of the gym.

I'm a workout fanatic as well. The gym is well equipped. However, get there early to get a treadmill. I didn't have to wait for one, but it can fill up fast. There's plenty of stairs to take instead of the elevator too.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!!!

Here's some pics of the gym and various Carnival gyms

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Carnival+Elation+gym+photos&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=lZ2aS4zNG4r-sgOmttWdAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQsAQwAA

I'll answer the Q's that I know the answer to for sure:

On the Elation, only the suites (Cat 11 and 12) have hairdryers. The ones in the suites will stay on (don't have to hold the button), but they aren't very good.

I think $100 in ones is more than enough. On the ship, (if you did prepaid gratuities) you only need to tip for room service, for incidentals (like the coffee shop server for example) or for 'above and beyond' service. You will more likely need the small bills for tips onshore.

There are plenty of hangers and storage in the room, so no.

I brought my laptop with me when I sailed Elation in December. I work in the computer industry and it never leaves my side - lol. However, believe it or not, I never touched it the entire time of the cruise. You will have to pay for wireless access if you want to surf the internet. They have packages that bring the price down a bit, but its not cheap (imho). I suggest you bring a novel and a crossword puzzle book instead. ;)

It will be cool in the evening and occasionally windy. A sweatshirt, sweater or windbreaker will come in handy.

Yup - there are at least 5 of them to my recollection. Two of them are in the Adults Only Serenity Area.

I envy you, taking your first cruise.

We think cruising is one of the most enjoyable and economical ways to travel and just get away. We take our laptop to download pictures and Janet does a journal of sorts.

Also, there are always Internet Cafes on shore.

On a 5 day trip you shouldn't have to do laundry. If you pack light you really won't have to worry about hangers....plenty.

What about formal night? You might want to bring something for that night if you are eating in the Main Dining Room. Lobster night of course.

For what it is worth, don't believe all of the naysayers on here regarding poor service, bad food and lousy shows.

I have found most of those people are.....persnickety. I didn't want to use a bad word.

A cruise is what you make of it. If you are hard to get along with, you won't have a good time anywhere, but from your Namesake, I would think that you are a seasoned traveler. You'll love it. Have a great time....Steve

P.S We take small bills if we want to barter in Mexico. If you plan on buying anything in Ensenada or go to the Blow-Hole (La Bufadora) then it helps to have small bills so you don't give them too much or get a fist full of Pesos. Great for tips also.

We were just on that cruise in January. FANTASTIC time! The service and food were better than other Carnival ships we have been on.

We had an inside cabin and it did not have a hairdryer. We always pack those Purex 3-1 sheets when traveling (detergent, softener, dryer sheet all in one). They fit into a freezer bag and work great.

It was very cool on our cruise. Jackets/hoodies. Our day in Mexico, though, was very warm and sunny.

Have fun!!!

everythings seems to be predictable except the weather..it s good to

check the local weather conditions of the area your planning on visiting..

you ll have a great experience..i usually check the local weather conditions..

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/76050.html

expect your time at sea to be on the cool side..maybe too cold for

a swim..but, great for hr in the hot tubs..

the gym s are usually well equiped..but, the treadmill s tend to fill up quickly..and if you like free weights..just take a little extra care if you run into any rough seas..;)

as much as we try..we can t help but spend more than we expect..either on shore or onboard..onboard you have your sign and sail card..and for expenses in the ports we ll take along $100 and leave the rest in the safe..the less you take ashore the less you ll be tempted..might want to leave your credit card behind as well :rolleyes:

Archived